SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 08, 2013, 07:14 PM
RC 4 Life
Fort Worth, TX USA
Joined Feb 2001
4,562 Posts
Seems a waste to have such a nice slot in the wing and not use it, I pushed a strip of light ply in the slot, marked it flush with the wing and cut it. Pushed it back in and used thin CA to lock it down. Now my wings will not flex like the plane in the video does during aerobatics. Note that I had to extend the slot to tie it into the main spar.
sparks is offline Find More Posts by sparks
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2013, 07:20 PM
RC 4 Life
Fort Worth, TX USA
Joined Feb 2001
4,562 Posts
I used all the same servos on the model, no reversing required.
All it takes is to reposition the servo to the proper orientation , mark the foam and cut.
Example: the ailerons are correct on this model both servo arms facing outboard. This will give you opposite control movement.
On the flaps they have the same arrangement requiring reversal.
Arranging the servo arms to face the same direction will make the travel the same direction. (this modification was done on the elevator too. )

Pain in the backside?
Perhaps but I have stronger smoother servos i can trust and don't have to worry about stripping gears in a special servo because I bumped a door way.

I don't see any advantage to designing a model that requires reversed servos . . .wait, Think it could be that they make money selling "special" electronics?
Old Feb 08, 2013, 07:26 PM
RC 4 Life
Fort Worth, TX USA
Joined Feb 2001
4,562 Posts
I went a little overkill on the motors but I have used motors like the stock type on other models and either had bearing problems or simply smoked the windings.
look at your motor windings now, they won't have that shiny copper look after several flights.
To Identify the firewall location I assembled the motor and slid it into the cowl and marked its depth on the nacelle.
This location was measured from the mark to the aft end of the factory slot.
A line was drawn parallel to the factory slot and a rotary tool was used to cut the slot slightly wider than the firewall material.
The wing was held upright while the firewalls were tac bonded with epoxy.
then a better bond was made when it set up.
The black plastic plates were used to make sure the thrust lines were the same.

BTW- the factory setting was 1.2 degrees nose down and left to right was zero.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 07:26 PM
RC 4 Life
Fort Worth, TX USA
Joined Feb 2001
4,562 Posts
more tomorrow?
Old Feb 08, 2013, 07:52 PM
Don't Move I've Dropped My Nut
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Feb 2009
1,730 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks View Post
more tomorrow?
Thanks for posting.....very good info, as I plan on ordering the "kit" version and supplying my own motors and electrics. BTW, as there is no offset, left to right, are you using counter rotating props?
bamaguy is offline Find More Posts by bamaguy
Old Feb 08, 2013, 08:41 PM
RC 4 Life
Fort Worth, TX USA
Joined Feb 2001
4,562 Posts
I have a bit of prop testing to do .
I have three sets of three blade props to choose from and only one set is available as counter rotating .
The down side is going counter rotating will require me to trash a spinner. ( stock props only turn one direction. )
I may have to shop for a set of spinners to try it out.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 09:42 PM
Roanoke, VA
Joined Sep 2008
928 Posts
Quote:
Since I'm clumsy and know it, I decided to attach the winglets with rare earth magnets they are stored where the battery goes. I don't know if they will stay on in flight but what I do know is I will eventually break them off. I'll let you know how it works out.
Great idea... Wish I had thought of it. Let us know how it works out.
sparkie624 is offline Find More Posts by sparkie624
Old Feb 09, 2013, 10:18 AM
RC 4 Life
Fort Worth, TX USA
Joined Feb 2001
4,562 Posts
steering

Tiny servos for steering may work on a smooth surface but I'm flying off grass and don't want to be grounded because the plastic gears stripped.
Besides, the servo being off center is sure to keep the gear from going into the gear well straight and could hang up on the way out.

I pierced holes with a sharpened piece of piano wire in the gear bay and exited just below the battery tray. ( leave the wire in place 4 now)
The next holes went from the corner of the wing saddle to the bottom of the battery tray. watch your angles.

A razor was used to cut a slot through the wing saddle in the direction of the gear servo.

Sullivian tubing was threaded through the holes using the piano wire as a guide.

The photo shows a cable but the stiffness keeps turning the gear as it goes in just as I suspected it would with an offset servo. . I have switched to a strong nylon thread and it works great every time.

May look like allot of trouble but it is dependable now and if I need to adjust the steering I can do it without flipping it on its back at the field.
Last edited by sparks; Feb 09, 2013 at 10:25 AM. Reason: Photos dident go through.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 10:47 AM
Don't Move I've Dropped My Nut
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Feb 2009
1,730 Posts
Quote:
Tiny servos for steering may work on a smooth surface but I'm flying off grass and don't want to be grounded because the plastic gears stripped.
I hear you loud and clear on that point! Even tho our field has paved runway, I use 11 or 13 gram metal geared servos for steer servos and use DENTAL FLOSS as steer cables. That stuff will not stretch as nylon can and thin CA makes the knots permanent!
bamaguy is offline Find More Posts by bamaguy
Old Feb 09, 2013, 12:45 PM
RC 4 Life
Fort Worth, TX USA
Joined Feb 2001
4,562 Posts
great tip!
I love these threads, I've been at this for 22 years and have never tried Dental floss .
I was thinking that the stretch I get from nylon acts as a servo saver and tension regulator but it does cause a slop feel in the steering so I guess the regulator myth is Busted.

Love the avatar! had to show my wife and she laughed too.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 01:24 PM
Roanoke, VA
Joined Sep 2008
928 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaguy View Post
I hear you loud and clear on that point! Even tho our field has paved runway, I use 11 or 13 gram metal geared servos for steer servos and use DENTAL FLOSS as steer cables. That stuff will not stretch as nylon can and thin CA makes the knots permanent!
Nice idea.. Just added it to my Grocery List... Thanks.
sparkie624 is offline Find More Posts by sparkie624
Old Feb 09, 2013, 08:46 PM
Look Up!
Canada, MB, Niverville
Joined Apr 2008
5,029 Posts
You guys are making me sick. When the heck are these coming back into stock? They told me end of January but thats since past.
gewiens is offline Find More Posts by gewiens
Old Feb 09, 2013, 08:59 PM
Sedona, Arizona
Joined Nov 2006
285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gewiens View Post
You guys are making me sick. When the heck are these coming back into stock? They told me end of January but thats since past.
They've been telling me "two weeks" for the past three months! LOL!
Allelectric is offline Find More Posts by Allelectric
Old Feb 09, 2013, 09:59 PM
Look Up!
Canada, MB, Niverville
Joined Apr 2008
5,029 Posts
Got so impatient that i bought a dynam 310 to tie me over till this shipment comes from a different universe.
gewiens is offline Find More Posts by gewiens
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:11 PM
RC 4 Life
Fort Worth, TX USA
Joined Feb 2001
4,562 Posts
pilots

Obviously are not all in agreement on the pilots, I've seen that some say they look great or at least the guy in the video liked them.

I think they look like twin, teen, pot heads and little ones at that; they can barely see over the glare shield.
What's with the black leather helmets and goggles?
Must be recycled WW1 pilots from another kit.