SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 29, 2012, 08:01 PM
Roanoke, VA
Joined Sep 2008
928 Posts
Just noticed... NITROPLANES has a video of it. See it on youtube and you can go full scale. You need to watch this if you are considering this plane.

B60 Duke Twin Engine Plane Review (9 min 33 sec)
sparkie624 is offline Find More Posts by sparkie624
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 29, 2012, 08:01 PM
Roanoke, VA
Joined Sep 2008
928 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by viper1216 View Post
Oh boy! What did they give you, 1 1/4 inch mains! I think 2" might work ok, that way there is a bit of wiggle room. Worse case could always belly land it if something got stuck. Is it really heavy? Nose is concerning though...have to play with that one.
It's flying weight is listed as 88 ounces, that is 5.5 pounds.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 08:02 PM
Roanoke, VA
Joined Sep 2008
928 Posts
Quote:
I'm new to electric...is that light enough to belly land without an issue? I ahev all nitro and gas...my planes all weigh up around 10+ pounds. Belly landing is never a good thing! I know I've seen a lot of guys at my field who fly electric and have no gear...this seemed like a much bigger plane than theirs though.
No problem (on grass)... Just land it flat and as slow as you can still maintain control.... I have had to do that before... I would rather belly land than to land with 2 down and 1 up.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 08:02 PM
Roanoke, VA
Joined Sep 2008
928 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim B. View Post
Thanks for the vid !

Theres lot going on here, looks like it flies very well, pretty squirmy at low speed but that may be the winglets at work.

He warned clearly about getting the props balanced, will you be doing this ?

Its too big to fit in my car ( ).

Is it simply too much hassle to get the wing off and on at the field ?

Want it bad, $200.00 is Very attractive..
Yes... Going to be Balance the props, but the fact that a commercial for the thing tells you to balance them, really makes me wonder. I hope they are not too far out.

I guess a Chevy Suburban does have advantages of moving planes to the field.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 08:03 PM
Roanoke, VA
Joined Sep 2008
928 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVE GRABEN View Post
I've got the kit coming and will use HK Turnigy G25s. The landing gear looks like the gear on my Ce-421. They break easily. For the price ($120.19 to my door it still looks like a great deal. I've seen the red one advertised as a Flyfly model. Could it be? The video shows off the plane splendidly! Mine will be here Oct 2. I'll post pictures of the mods when I get on with it.
I think by looking at the motors that are in the ARF, the G25 may be too long. Let me know how it works out. I am almost thinking that the ARF will be cheaper. Will be interested to see how yours comes out.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 08:04 PM
Roanoke, VA
Joined Sep 2008
928 Posts
In the video it says to "Balance The Props"... Best piece of advice in the entire video... I have never seen props this far out of balance.... I have sanded and sanded one prop beyond believe, and look how I got it balanced....

Looking into alternative plan to balance the props. Considering paint to add weight as I cannot take off much more

Any other ideas.. I am open to them.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 08:06 PM
Roanoke, VA
Joined Sep 2008
928 Posts
I found out the the instructions leave out a lot... If any of you have looked at it, they start off pretty obvious... They tell you to attach all the push rods, and yet never tell you to or how to install the Flaps. By looking at the diagram, I figured it out, but it is not straight forward. There is a pack of 6 plastic clips (at first glance they look like Receiver Connector Safeties). These are actually the flap hinges. See attached images and figure blown up... I had to use a magnifying glass to see what they were doing. I used 5 minute epoxy and that seemed to do a very good and quick job.

Also, another note concerning the control horns. There are 2 different size screws. 2 of the longer ones need to go for the Rudder, the other 2 are for the fat end of the Flaps.

I also noticed that the elevator has hinges, but the rudder and ailerons do not, just the foam hinge, but they give you a pack of hinges, so they probably want to use those instead... Again the instructions never mention this.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 08:06 PM
Roanoke, VA
Joined Sep 2008
928 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by F-86FLIER4LIFE View Post
APC IMHO makes the best electric props, they are balanced right as soon as you get them, or really close to balanced, have never had issues with them. They do make 3 bladed if thats what your looking for.
You have been luckier than I have... I always have to balance APC props. they are the best electric props I agree... But still needs balancing.

One problem with I would see here is the size of the prop shaft may be difficult to match up. this is not a very big hole for this size prop in my opinion.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 08:07 PM
Roanoke, VA
Joined Sep 2008
928 Posts
Quote:
Sparkie...does the plane come with servo's for the flaps or are they add ons?
They came with the plane and installed. All servos were installed, but not connected...
Old Sep 29, 2012, 08:08 PM
Roanoke, VA
Joined Sep 2008
928 Posts
Quote:
WOW!! That's a nice surprise. Figured it would be an add on. Thanks for all the photo's and info. Will definitely be a big help when mine gets here.
This pictures have only just begun... Working on a Secret Mod that I may reveal tonight...
Old Sep 29, 2012, 08:08 PM
Roanoke, VA
Joined Sep 2008
928 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim B. View Post
Interesting on the flaps ...

I wonder if these will be already installed as production increases ~

Came with flap servos already mounted, yes ?

It doesnt sound like a "flaps option" like on the SR10 Reliant.

I wonder if flaps are even neccessary to land this plane .. ?

maybe we will find out, it doesnt look from the video that we have to make hot landings.

I am still trying to find a way to either transport one intact or see if it is too much hassle to get the wing off/on at the field.

Thanks Very much for all this great data Sparkie.
The way the flaps are made and installed, I doubt they mount them in the future.

Yes, ALL servos Mounted and YES to flaps servos included. and not like the SR10.

I am going to say not required, but in the video it was saying that if you only have a 5 channel receiver you can use either FLAPS or GEAR. With that note, not required, but you are going to still have to have them mounted and hooked up to the servo other wise they will be just flopping around.

As far as the landings go... Time will tell.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 08:09 PM
Roanoke, VA
Joined Sep 2008
928 Posts
Quote:
A way to turn it turbine?
LOL, Not quite... But I think it will be a nice addition... Will find out and get everyones opinon.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 08:10 PM
Roanoke, VA
Joined Sep 2008
928 Posts
As promised.. A surprise mod... Note the interior...
Old Sep 29, 2012, 08:10 PM
Roanoke, VA
Joined Sep 2008
928 Posts
Quote:
Very nice!! Great idea and great job!
I was going to try to install curtains, but my hands were too big
Old Sep 29, 2012, 08:11 PM
Roanoke, VA
Joined Sep 2008
928 Posts
The tail is mounted..... Looks pretty good. See the pics. Plane bigger that you may think. Note size comparison. A note on the tail, it is setup to be tightened with screws and not glued. I found this to be a problem as I could never get the tail tight. The screws were, but the elevator had movement. I ended up using some epoxy.

However, the locking mechanism on the hatch broke... It was on the 2 or 3rd time that it had been installed. Going to replace the latch with Rare Earth Magnets... I have plenty of them and they are cheap.

Wings are next. Going to start them today. Not sure if I will finish or not. Going to save the winglets to be the last thing to install. They appear to be the most fragile part of the model, so I elected to save them to last.

The directions is a decent guide line, but don't follow them precisely... If you do you will not install the flaps or other required items. they missed a lot here.