Old Dec 26, 2012, 01:38 PM
USA, AZ, Buckeye
Joined Feb 2010
530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaguy View Post
We need to clone that woman!!

Which version did you get? Looking forward to your photos
No kidding! In-laws got me two other planes as well. Sweet!

The only version of the B60 that was available at the time was an RTF, so I will be pulling the radio and selling it. The radio seems really nice though.

I think someone asked earlier about the front cowl and a functional duct, the answer is no, on this plane it is just a decal. Compared to the FF version, these motors are much smaller as well.
mray is offline Find More Posts by mray
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 26, 2012, 01:57 PM
Don't Move I've Dropped My Nut
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Feb 2009
1,680 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mray View Post
I think someone asked earlier about the front cowl and a functional duct, the answer is no, on this plane it is just a decal. Compared to the FF version, these motors are much smaller as well.
I'll probably mod a functional duct and make an exit hole(s) to aid in cooling the ESC's.
Those large 42mm dia "bell" type outrunners develope a good deal of torque, despite their shallow depth. I think this version (AeroSky, aka: A-RC) is superior to the one manufactured by FF, IMO.
bamaguy is online now Find More Posts by bamaguy
Last edited by bamaguy; Dec 30, 2012 at 08:02 PM.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 02:23 PM
USA, AZ, Buckeye
Joined Feb 2010
530 Posts
Quote:
I'll probably mod a functional duct and make an exit hole(s) to aid in cooling the ESC's.
I am going to do same.

Quote:
Those large 42mm dia "bell" type outrunners develope a good deal of torque, despite their shallow depth.
yup, it seems to fly well in the videos.

Quote:
I think this version (AeroSky, aka: A-RC) is superior too the one manufactured by FF, IMO.
It may be, I have one coming so it will be interesting to compare the two.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 08:08 PM
Joined Feb 2009
1,680 Posts
mray;

When is your maiden planned?
Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:08 PM
USA, AZ, Buckeye
Joined Feb 2010
530 Posts
Quote:
mray;

When is your maiden planned?
Not sure right now as our club field is in limbo at the moment. I did finish it and am impressed with the quality of the construction. I will post pictures tonight. I didn't have to look at the instructions.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:15 PM
Joined Feb 2009
1,680 Posts
Quote:
Not sure right now as our club field is in limbo at the moment. I did finish it and am impressed with the quality of the construction. I will post pictures tonight. I didn't have to look at the instructions.
Bummer on the field! Looking forward to your photos and comments. Really looking for the day that NP gets them back in stock! Kudos to your wife....you lucky dog, you have her AND the B60!
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:29 PM
Noob with Issues
United States, AZ, Maricopa
Joined Jul 2011
1,006 Posts
Thats what happens when you don't pay your bills. I may go over to the field by the water park tomorrow and fly my duke If you would like to come I live way out west also!!
crash74 is online now Find More Posts by crash74
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:41 PM
USA, AZ, Buckeye
Joined Feb 2010
530 Posts
Quote:
Bummer on the field!
Yup, our landlord is having some issues with the state....go figure.
Quote:
Looking forward to your photos and comments.
Photos are attached with comments.
Quote:
Really looking for the day that NP gets them back in stock!
You decided against the FF version?
Quote:
Kudos to your wife....you lucky dog, you have her AND the B60!
I have to say, this year has been great...my wife got me three planes and my in-laws (father in-law is the president of our club) got me two planes...and of course we got him a Meteor.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 04:30 AM
Roanoke, VA
Joined Sep 2008
928 Posts
Quote:
Yup, our landlord is having some issues with the state....go figure. Photos are attached with comments. You decided against the FF version? I have to say, this year has been great...my wife got me three planes and my in-laws (father in-law is the president of our club) got me two planes...and of course we got him a Meteor.
Before you put power on it with the NAV lights, be sure to put a resistor in line with the diodes or you will burn them out in a micro second.
sparkie624 is offline Find More Posts by sparkie624
Old Dec 31, 2012, 09:11 AM
Joined Feb 2009
1,680 Posts
mray;
Thanks for the photos/comments! Very helpful. Yes, I decided NOT to order the FF version. One reason was that fact that working flaps are not included. I could mod them myself, but why bother with that when you don't have to? Also, the fit and finish on the AeroSky appears to be better.
Best of luck on your maiden!!

-Gary
Old Jan 06, 2013, 11:20 PM
USA, AZ, Buckeye
Joined Feb 2010
530 Posts
Quote:
mray;
Thanks for the photos/comments! Very helpful. Yes, I decided NOT to order the FF version. One reason was that fact that working flaps are not included. I could mod them myself, but why bother with that when you don't have to? Also, the fit and finish on the AeroSky appears to be better.
Best of luck on your maiden!!

-Gary
Thanks Gary. It's built/finished and waiting.

I ended up with a FLY/FLY version as well...PNP. Despite my understanding that this was to have come with servo-less retracts, it did not. It does have nice oleo struts though.

There are some similarities between the ARC/FF version but there is alot that is different. I hope to go over that shortly with detailed photos. Right off the bat, you don't get retracts or flaps but the FF version has huge motors that seem to be high quality and the electronics seem to be very good. Props are much bigger and more aggressive than the ARC/NP version. You have more battery room in the ARC vs the FF due to how the nose and fuselage is made. The FF version is not a $399.00 plane for sure. There are more sturdy reinforcements and mounts than with the ARC...for instance the motor mounts are metal and wood....where as the ARC is plastic.

Once I get a few minutes I will snap some pics and note the differences.
Old Jan 07, 2013, 06:36 AM
Noob with Issues
United States, AZ, Maricopa
Joined Jul 2011
1,006 Posts
Thx
crash74 is online now Find More Posts by crash74
Old Jan 13, 2013, 06:07 PM
USA, AZ, Buckeye
Joined Feb 2010
530 Posts
Okay I was finally able to get some time in the garage to take a look at the FF version. All in all it seems pretty nice minus the absent retracts/flaps, but those can be done later. Since mine was an ARF some assembly had already been done. Thats kind of a bummer because it wasn't up to par. It's the usual fit/finish/not enough glue issues we always run into.

Check out the pictures and comments. Overall the ARC gets the nod for fit and finish.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 07:58 PM
Joined Feb 2009
1,680 Posts
Quote:
Check out the pictures and comments. Overall the ARC gets the nod for fit and finish.
mray; Many thanks for the photos and comments! Think I'd stil prefer the A-RC version, as $189 + 92 shipping is a bit much for this bird. If Nitro does not restock the A-RC, I'll go with this FF. Too bad HobbyShack does not offer a Kit or ARF version.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 08:17 PM
Look Up!
Canada, MB, Niverville
Joined Apr 2008
5,027 Posts
I've now decided that IF this plane EVER comes back into stock, i'm ordering the kit version. Now i just wish i could stop checking that frickin site to see if its in.
gewiens is offline Find More Posts by gewiens