HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 29, 2012, 06:10 PM
Joined Mar 2010
20 Posts
Discussion
Using two ESC with two batteries on one motor!

I have two brushed speed controllers, each can only take a 3s lipo max, and 3s lipos go as far as 7V or 11V but I want to use 14V on the brushed motor so can I use two 7V 3s batteries with those two speed controllers to give the motor 14V?

My diagram,

Does it look good?

Also when I merge two ESCs in one RX do I have to cut one of the red wires and not use it from one ESC?

Mecky is offline Find More Posts by Mecky
Last edited by Mecky; Sep 29, 2012 at 07:32 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 29, 2012, 06:18 PM
Glow 😡 no no no
Australia, SA, Evanston Park
Joined Mar 2010
4,845 Posts
Lol NO even if it would work your motor is still only seeing 3s in parallel, you need to wire your batteries in series to get 6s.
aeromaniac is online now Find More Posts by aeromaniac
Old Sep 29, 2012, 06:31 PM
Joined Mar 2010
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeromaniac View Post
Lol NO even if it would work your motor is still only seeing 3s in parallel, you need to wire your batteries in series to get 6s.
Are you sure it wouldn't give the motor 14V? Which is what I want.
Last edited by Mecky; Sep 29, 2012 at 06:42 PM.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 07:22 PM
The Northeast Kingdom, Vermont
Joined Jun 2004
5,289 Posts
No, it absolutely will not give you 14V, only 7V
What is the voltage rating on the motor? 4S will probably kill the motor in short order.
Pete
pilotpete2 is online now Find More Posts by pilotpete2
Old Sep 29, 2012, 08:30 PM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,840 Posts
A 3S battery is 12.6 volts fully charged. If you attach them together in parallel, meaning pos to pos and neg to neg, it will still be 12.6volts.
If you join one pos from one battery to one neg from the other, then use the remaining pos and neg to the esc, you will have your batteries in series, now the two together deliver 25.4v.
As stated, you'll likely destroy your motor on 14v, but it should handle 3S ok.
Be careful, have fun. Doug Bartley
Doug Bartley is offline Find More Posts by Doug Bartley
Old Sep 30, 2012, 04:08 AM
We want... Information!
Hastings, New Zealand
Joined Jan 2001
5,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecky View Post
I have two brushed speed controllers, each can only take a 3s lipo max, and 3s lipos go as far as 7V or 11V but I want to use 14V on the brushed motor so can I use two 7V 3s batteries with those two speed controllers to give the motor 14V?
No. Don't try it - something is bound to fry!
Quote:
Are you sure it wouldn't give the motor 14V? Which is what I want.
No. There is a back-feed through the throttle cables which are joined at the receiver. Therefore both battery negatives are connected together, and the total voltage is still only 7.4V.

Next problem is that the + output of one controller is connected to the - output of the other. When the ESCs turn on there will be a dead short between the two outputs. You risk blowing up an ESC and/or smoking the wiring.

You need a single controller which handles 4S, or stick with 3S and use a higher revving motor, bigger prop etc.

What is your current setup (motor, battery, prop) and what model is it powering? Why did you want to go to 4S?
Bruce Abbott is offline Find More Posts by Bruce Abbott
Old Sep 30, 2012, 09:34 AM
Senile Member
Moab, Utah, USA
Joined Apr 2003
6,242 Posts
It doesn't matter if it is 7 volts, 12 volts or 14 volts. You cannot hook up the output of two ESCs in series or in parllel. If you do all you will have is major smoke from both ESCs.

Larry
Lnagel is offline Find More Posts by Lnagel
Old Sep 30, 2012, 06:23 PM
Joined Mar 2010
20 Posts
I see, I won't try it then, thanks guys!