HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 29, 2012, 02:01 PM
United Kingdom, Leeds
Joined Jun 2011
20 Posts
Discussion
Gas engine - how much oil

Hi,

Just got a nice DLE 55 but no instructions, I have synthetic oil but how much oil per litre of gas ?

My friend says 30 ml per 1litre of gas

Is that about right for running in the motor

Thank you

Gene
Gene Genie is offline Find More Posts by Gene Genie
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 29, 2012, 06:46 PM
Mtn Home, Idaho
Joined Feb 2010
443 Posts
I don't know the specs but you need to precisely measure it. Google ratio rite. It makes mixing very easy and accurate.

Your probly looking for a mix in the 30/1 to 40-1 ballpark but just guessing since I've never looked at the engine specs

Good luck
Evan03 is offline Find More Posts by Evan03
Old Sep 29, 2012, 08:11 PM
Australia, NSW, Attunga
Joined Dec 2006
168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Genie View Post
Hi,

Just got a nice DLE 55 but no instructions, I have synthetic oil but how much oil per litre of gas ?

My friend says 30 ml per 1litre of gas

Is that about right for running in the motor

Thank you

Gene
G'day Gene
Have a look at this http://www.dlenginesaustralia.com/do...-55-manual.pdf
It states 30:1, or 33.3 Mls /litre.
Cheers
Allan
alan0899 is offline Find More Posts by alan0899
Old Sep 29, 2012, 08:43 PM
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2005
6,461 Posts
I base it on the actual oil used. They usually have instructions on the bottle. I also skip the synthetic until its broken in. Some go straight to the synthetic, but I don't.
Roto Rob is offline Find More Posts by Roto Rob
Old Sep 29, 2012, 09:02 PM
Jacksonville Fla.
Joined Mar 2007
2,224 Posts
Most people I know break in using a good ashless oil at 32:1 then after a couple of gallons break in go to sythetic at 40:1 stay there...you'll see some go 50 to 100 to 1 but you'll never hurt your engine at 40:1
jetmech05 is offline Find More Posts by jetmech05
Old Oct 01, 2012, 12:36 AM
Joined May 2012
432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetmech05 View Post
Most people I know break in using a good ashless oil at 32:1 then after a couple of gallons break in go to synthetic at 40:1 stay there...you'll see some go 50 to 100 to 1 but you'll never hurt your engine at 40:1
Agree, it takes forever and a day to break in an engine with full synthetic. By about the second gallon I switch over. You can give Valley View a call to get the correct mix for the DLE engines. Most everyone I know is using Red Line oil from there local motor cycle shop.I like the Klotz blended oil. To each there own though. When I run out of Klotz I will probably be buying the Red Line too. It's just easier to come by.
Gray Beard is offline Find More Posts by Gray Beard
Old Oct 01, 2012, 11:12 AM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
About synthetic oil and ashless oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Beard View Post
Agree, it takes forever and a day to break in an engine with full synthetic. By about the second gallon I switch over. You can give Valley View a call to get the correct mix for the DLE engines. Most everyone I know is using Red Line oil from there local motor cycle shop.I like the Klotz blended oil. To each there own though. When I run out of Klotz I will probably be buying the Red Line too. It's just easier to come by.
Hello Gray Beard,

I am posting because it may help others that may have been wondering as I did.

If it takes that long to break in an engine using synthetic oil, I would think that it means the synthetic is a very good lubricant.

When an engine is being broken (a stupid expression as the engine is not being broken) the process is to polish the ring(s) and cylinder wall that results in a better seal by diminishing the surfaces roughness that remain from the machining of parts.

My understanding of the lubricating ability of oils is to create a gap betwenn the parts being lubricated. That gap is occupied by the oil and one of the oil property is that its molecules have little opposition to roll around each other. We could think that the oil is a very large amount of extemely small balls (the oil molecules) that have affinity to not run away and leave the parts to be abrasive to eah other.

A note about the English language being sometime confusing. I have wondered what is "ashless oil". Some oil that does not contain ashes?

What would ashes do in oil?
Why would ashes ever be included in producing lubricating oil?
What kind of ashes?

I found out that "ashless oil" is actually oil that does not leave ashes (residues) from its use.

It is like "a big horse show".
What is big? _ _ _ the horse or the show?

Concerning the main topic here, I have asked why should engines using glow fuel would need 17% and 20% oil while engines using gasoline get along well wih as little as 2%.

I did not see any response to my question.

Zor
Zor is offline Find More Posts by Zor
Last edited by Zor; Oct 01, 2012 at 11:23 AM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 01, 2012, 12:23 PM
AMA 910957
United States, WA, Hoodsport
Joined Mar 2008
5,403 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Genie View Post
Hi,

Here's the manual:

http://manuals.hobbico.com/dle/dleg0055-manual.pdf

Hope this helps.

EJWash
EJWash1 is offline Find More Posts by EJWash1
Old Oct 01, 2012, 03:00 PM
Joined May 2012
432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zor View Post
Hello Gray Beard,

I am posting because it may help others that may have been wondering as I did.

If it takes that long to break in an engine using synthetic oil, I would think that it means the synthetic is a very good lubricant.

When an engine is being broken (a stupid expression as the engine is not being broken) the process is to polish the ring(s) and cylinder wall that results in a better seal by diminishing the surfaces roughness that remain from the machining of parts.

My understanding of the lubricating ability of oils is to create a gap betwenn the parts being lubricated. That gap is occupied by the oil and one of the oil property is that its molecules have little opposition to roll around each other. We could think that the oil is a very large amount of extemely small balls (the oil molecules) that have affinity to not run away and leave the parts to be abrasive to eah other.

A note about the English language being sometime confusing. I have wondered what is "ashless oil". Some oil that does not contain ashes?

What would ashes do in oil?
Why would ashes ever be included in producing lubricating oil?
What kind of ashes?

I found out that "ashless oil" is actually oil that does not leave ashes (residues) from its use.

It is like "a big horse show".
What is big? _ _ _ the horse or the show?

Concerning the main topic here, I have asked why should engines using glow fuel would need 17% and 20% oil while engines using gasoline get along well wih as little as 2%.

I did not see any response to my question.

Zor
Was there a question here?
Gray Beard is offline Find More Posts by Gray Beard
Old Oct 01, 2012, 05:31 PM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Beard View Post
Was there a question here?
I brought up the question in another thread discussing nitro and oil content (%) quite a while ago.

My question did not bring any answer.

Zor
Old Oct 02, 2012, 03:12 PM
RC Addict
Ontario, Canada
Joined Mar 2010
260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zor View Post
Why should engines using glow fuel would need 17% and 20% oil while engines using gasoline get along well with as little as 2%.

Zor
Good question.
rmsingh is offline Find More Posts by rmsingh
Old Oct 02, 2012, 03:22 PM
Florida
Joined Aug 2004
4,166 Posts
A good friend of mine, Hap Mulvaney, unfortunately no longer with us was a very competent 2 cycle gas engine guru. He always said, "Use as much oil as you can without carboning up the engine". It is hard to use to much oil and no damage if you do; however, to little and you replace the engine. I['ve always taken his advice and have had good success with mine. Type or brand of oil is pretty inconsequential, any good oil will work as well as any other. Most described differences are in the mind of the user only.
Rodney is offline Find More Posts by Rodney
Old Oct 02, 2012, 05:35 PM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
A good friend of mine, Hap Mulvaney, unfortunately no longer with us was a very competent 2 cycle gas engine guru. He always said, "Use as much oil as you can without carboning up the engine". It is hard to use to much oil and no damage if you do; however, to little and you replace the engine. I['ve always taken his advice and have had good success with mine. Type or brand of oil is pretty inconsequential, any good oil will work as well as any other. Most described differences are in the mind of the user only.
rmsingh and Rodney,

Yes, I thought it was a worth while question.

The piston(s), ring(s) and cylinder walls do not know how much oil is in the original mix. They only see what happens to be between them.

I have a 25 HP outboard that use 50:1 .
50 fuel by volume for one (1) part oil and that is the recommendation of Mercury engines. That engine has hundreds of hours of operation. I recently opened the heads to look at the cylinders. They are like mirrors and without any signs of scratches.

After reassembling the heads I checked the compression and read between 130 and 140 on both cylinders using the electric starter to rotate the crankshaft.

I cannot see much difference with an engine using glow fuel else perhaps than the metal alloys in use.

So the question remains _ _ _ unanswered.

Zor
Old Oct 02, 2012, 09:10 PM
Jacksonville Fla.
Joined Mar 2007
2,224 Posts
I suppose one of the reasons glow needs more oil is the operating RPM of the engine...10 grand or more at full throtlle... while a gasser is at 8000 tops.
Perhaps heat is another reason...One of oils function is to carry away heat
jetmech05 is offline Find More Posts by jetmech05
Old Oct 02, 2012, 09:25 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
17,122 Posts
A couple of possible reasons
- Gasoline has better lubricant properties than alcohol
- Many gas engines use roller bearings on the big end of the rod.

It is also worth noting that vintage gas engines used high oil concentrations, about the same as modern glow.

(10K is for babies - I have glow engines that turn over 30K )

Pat MacKenzie
pmackenzie is online now Find More Posts by pmackenzie