SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Sep 29, 2012, 09:31 AM
Too many numbers
United States, OH, Troy
Joined Oct 2010
1,794 Posts
Discussion
Laser cutter??

I'm looking to purchase a laser cutter for cutting model plywood. I noticed you can get 40W cutters fairly inexpensively, though they need to be upgraded with different controllers if you want to use Mach 3. Is 40W enough to cut through plywood and thin foam? Thanks.
c131frdave is offline Find More Posts by c131frdave
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 29, 2012, 10:13 AM
Registered User
Danmark, Hovedstaden, Ølstykke
Joined Jul 2010
54 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by c131frdave View Post
I'm looking to purchase a laser cutter for cutting model plywood. I noticed you can get 40W cutters fairly inexpensively, though they need to be upgraded with different controllers if you want to use Mach 3. Is 40W enough to cut through plywood and thin foam? Thanks.
It's difficult to say. Its debens of the glue the plywood have be made of.

I have a 50 watt laser. Somtime can i cut 2 mm and sometime 5 mm.

Balsa have no problems
anton-anton is offline Find More Posts by anton-anton
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 01, 2012, 06:23 PM
Registered User
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
7,002 Posts
Laser cut Ply Edges are a fair resemblance of a Charcoal Briquette. Black and dirty.
A Rotary tool makes a far nicer cut product.
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 02, 2012, 02:53 AM
deltas are cool
AIR SALLY's Avatar
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,856 Posts
do you guys know what is needed to cut the wood ...can the cutter be set up using a template of the part or does it have to be drawn in cad?
AIR SALLY is offline Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 02, 2012, 04:31 AM
Registered User
p901P901's Avatar
United States, CA, Lancaster
Joined Jan 2009
1,250 Posts
Cad drawings are exported to G code usually. The G-code translates to the controller card and the controller card tells the stepper motors the x y coordinates. I know someone locally that can cut the parts using a template with a water jet. He works with us and has a private business..
Or if you want, have your son give me the drawings to convert to CAD to send of to LDS or any other laser cutting companies.
p901P901 is online now Find More Posts by p901P901
Last edited by p901P901; Oct 02, 2012 at 04:57 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 02, 2012, 01:22 PM
Registered User
Dizz's Avatar
Brixham, Devon, England
Joined Jun 2004
297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by p901P901 View Post
Cad drawings are exported to G code usually. The G-code translates to the controller card and the controller card tells the stepper motors the x y coordinates. I know someone locally that can cut the parts using a template with a water jet. He works with us and has a private business..
Or if you want, have your son give me the drawings to convert to CAD to send of to LDS or any other laser cutting companies.
That method is true for the CNC router I have access to, but the laser cutter PC drivers mean it is treated like a vector printer and will cut directly from Coreldraw- no need for the intermediate step of generating G code (still need a line drawing though, can't "print" a .jpg or the like).
Pete
Dizz is offline Find More Posts by Dizz
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 02, 2012, 10:00 PM
Registered User
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
7,002 Posts
Profili Cad etc has the capability to output as G code.
Easy and cheap for the package
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 04, 2012, 03:35 PM
Pile-it
Alien_Tech's Avatar
United States, CA, Palmdale
Joined Nov 2007
1,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare View Post
Laser cut Ply Edges are a fair resemblance of a Charcoal Briquette. Black and dirty.
A Rotary tool makes a far nicer cut product.
You obviously haven't seen properly cut laser cut plywood. Done correctly, it's a nice light brown and no char whatsoever.
Alien_Tech is online now Find More Posts by Alien_Tech
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 04, 2012, 07:33 PM
deltas are cool
AIR SALLY's Avatar
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,856 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by p901P901 View Post
Cad drawings are exported to G code usually. The G-code translates to the controller card and the controller card tells the stepper motors the x y coordinates. I know someone locally that can cut the parts using a template with a water jet. He works with us and has a private business..
Or if you want, have your son give me the drawings to convert to CAD to send of to LDS or any other laser cutting companies.
what does a water jet do to plywood ? would'nt the water ruin it ?
AIR SALLY is offline Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 04, 2012, 08:18 PM
Registered User
p901P901's Avatar
United States, CA, Lancaster
Joined Jan 2009
1,250 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR SALLY View Post
what does a water jet do to plywood ? would'nt the water ruin it ?
I wood think it would also.But the operator claims that they regularly cut wood. He claims they weight it down after cutting until it dries.
He has recently cut 12 kits of 6mm depron for foamy planes.
p901P901 is online now Find More Posts by p901P901
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Laser Cutters bigdad1975 The Builders Workshop 13 May 08, 2014 09:06 AM
Laser cutter worldraft Aircraft - General - Miscellaneous (FS/W) 9 Oct 05, 2012 07:59 PM
How much does a laser cutter cost? totalboss Electric Plane Talk 30 Feb 14, 2012 11:57 PM
Discussion Die cutter/laser cutter? Tram The Builders Workshop 7 Apr 08, 2008 07:22 PM
Did you get your laser cutter Doug? Scomis Parkflyers 3 Nov 07, 2001 04:02 PM