HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 29, 2012, 05:44 AM
Finland, Pirkanmaa, Valkeakoski
Joined Sep 2012
498 Posts
Discussion
How to remove decals from EPO planes and what paint can I use on EPO?

Hi,

my first plane (HK Global Hawk PNF) is in customs and will arrive on Monday.
I don't care about "scale" and want to give it my own look 'n' feel.

Now - how do I remove decals from a China-made EPO-plane without damaging the EPO and what paint (type rather than brand names as I am in Finland and likely most US-brands are not available here) can I use to paint it?

I remember trying to spray a styrofoam block with a carpaint spraycan a million years ago and the styrofoam melted. Don't want this to happen to my plane.

-S
Stefan_Go is offline Find More Posts by Stefan_Go
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 29, 2012, 02:26 PM
The wind caused that!!
United States, OK, Poteau
Joined Jul 2012
617 Posts
i used a hair dryer to sorta heat up the decals on my eflite apprentice. then just peeled them off by hand.

after removing the decals, i washed the plane with dish soap and water (lightly) and used a green scotchbrite pad and lightly ( i mean lightly) went over the whole plane. this sorta acts like sandpaper just not as harsh.

after the prep work, i used acrylic paint on mine. the hardest part is doing lines or graphics. tape doesn't really stick well to the foam, but it sticks really good to the paint!! i used the 3m blue painters tape and it lifted the paint in a couple places, and allowed the paint to bleed under the tape in a couple places. nothing major, it looks good from 10 feet away!!
hoghead5150 is offline Find More Posts by hoghead5150
Old Sep 29, 2012, 09:56 PM
USA, NJ, South Plainfield
Joined Sep 2008
134 Posts
Took decals off the Bixler with masking tape, just stuck it on the decal and it peeled right off.
jughandle is online now Find More Posts by jughandle
Old Sep 30, 2012, 08:27 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
8,458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jughandle View Post
Took decals off the Bixler with masking tape, just stuck it on the decal and it peeled right off.
Yep ... masking tape, sellotape, all sorts of tape will do the job ... any paint on the model will likely lift as well.

As another says - Acrylic graphics paint, but NO paint with solvent - which is the problem you had before with car paint. A good substitute is household emulsion paint - you can get it in Vinyl Gloss or semi gloss or matt.
The semi and matt are excellent for WW2 models. You can get shop to mix to whatever colour you want and you get a nice large pot of it !!

Nigel
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife