HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 29, 2012, 03:05 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2011
104 Posts
Discussion
Where are your EDF goodies made? Lets find out together.

Where are your EDF goods made? Most of my stuff is actually made in the US and Germany. Most of my ESC's are a combo of Castle assembled in USA, Jetti and Shultze both being German. But they all have components made in China in those ESC's..

Share what you got and where its from. Or find out where they really come from!!!
Super Matt is offline Find More Posts by Super Matt
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 01, 2012, 07:12 PM
Joined Feb 2010
288 Posts
What components are made in China? I can think of only one silicon foundry in China.
db_sonic is offline Find More Posts by db_sonic
Old Oct 01, 2012, 08:05 PM
Molde, Norway
Joined Jan 2001
2,467 Posts
Jeti is not German made btw, they are made in the Czech republic.
Arngeir Blakseth is offline Find More Posts by Arngeir Blakseth
Old Oct 01, 2012, 08:21 PM
Team EJF >>>WHOOSH>>>
Joined Jul 2004
5,303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Matt View Post
Or find out where they really come from!!!

I sincerely doubt that.

Even many *American Made* products are not really made here...
There's so much that goes on behind the scenes in the "world's biggest-little industry" it's not even funny!
AceMigKiller is offline Find More Posts by AceMigKiller
Old Oct 02, 2012, 02:26 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2011
104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arngeir Blakseth View Post
Jeti is not German made btw, they are made in the Czech republic.
Yes i know, just that back in the day i picked them up while i was in Germany.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 09:56 AM
HAL... Open the damn doors!
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceMigKiller View Post
I sincerely doubt that.

Even many *American Made* products are not really made here...
There's so much that goes on behind the scenes in the "world's biggest-little industry" it's not even funny!
Exactly, what exactly does "made in America" mean first?

Jack
jfetter is offline Find More Posts by jfetter
Old Oct 03, 2012, 01:06 AM
USA, NC, Hope Mills
Joined Jan 2010
256 Posts
Plane - Feibao L-39 - China
Batteries - Neu Energy 6200 mah - Assembled USA - Chinesse cells?
Esc - Fighter Cat Racing 300A ESC - Developed USA - manufactured in China
Retracts - Electron Retracts - Spain
Edf - Schuebeler DS-77-6745-750 - Germany
Servos - Savox SC-1251 - ??????
Radio - Airtronics - Japan??
Gamalier is offline Find More Posts by Gamalier
Old Oct 04, 2012, 02:23 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2011
104 Posts
Anyone know where my BVM Electra is from? I heard rumors that they are made in Thailand.
Old Oct 04, 2012, 05:21 PM
High Dynamic Thrust
United States, FL, Mt Dora
Joined Feb 2007
2,312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Matt View Post
Anyone know where my BVM Electra is from? I heard rumors that they are made in Thailand.
some of their stuff is overseas and some of it in florida. i can remember bob having issues with china stealing stuff and doing copies, so he pulled most his stuff in house. ive been in bobs shop several times and always see american guys laying up molds. i believe your electra is thailand. same place as my spark.
stoneenforcer is offline Find More Posts by stoneenforcer
Old Oct 05, 2012, 01:09 AM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Jul 2006
593 Posts
Pretty sure both Spark and Electra are made in Thailand.
Spark is Comp ARF
Electra is Xtreme Composites
Both are quality layups

Chris
icicles is offline Find More Posts by icicles
Old Oct 05, 2012, 09:09 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2011
104 Posts
I know if you want composite EDF units you need to go to Germany or Tam in the US.

Nue motors are from California but where do they get their magnets from?
Old Oct 07, 2012, 01:01 PM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,608 Posts
We could say "EDF Goodies" come from raw materials and are then sourced and made into components and then assembled somewhere. Made in terms of assembled or made in terms of actually made? Assembly happens in any low cost labor location. China comes to mind and other low cost areas in Asia are currently popular but things will shift with the economy.

"Made" in the real term means elements sourced and then gathered for production processes into raw materials. Raw materials are shipped to manufacturing areas then assembly areas for the final product. But without the global sourcing and commodity trade, there would be little chance of cheap assembly. An interesting question that goes beyond the over argued "made in China" parade is "what goes into actually making stuff that makes EDF's possible"?

In short you need silicon and rare earth magnets and metals for the electronics and motors. Then you need the raw materials that make epoxies and glass cloth and the wood and plastics to make the airframes. And finally you need the "stuff" that makes the batteries. All this stuff comes from mining raw materials and chemical manufacturing.

As far as just the first topic (electronics), we know silicon makes up a lot of the structure of the "brains" in anything resembling electric flight from radios to speed controllers to servos. Silicon is mined from the earths crust and is an extremely common and easy to source element. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicon So silicon may come from any quarry or open pit mine in the world including one in your geographical area.

Rare earth material on the other hand have become an interesting topic. (also a major part of any motor system and electronics) A lot of this material is coming from Africa right now and Mongolia. There is a squeeze on this material and it may be a future topic of more hotly debated availability and squabbles. Look at the section "Global Earth Production" for an interesting place to see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rare_earth_element

This may be a bit "above and beyond" what we usually talk about as far as RC airplanes and "made in China" but it's pretty relevant too

So in short, your EDF comes from a hole in the ground and then we try to not make another hole in the ground with it by careful building and flying!!
Eddie P is offline Find More Posts by Eddie P
RCG Plus Member