HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 11, 2013, 01:47 AM
Heidelberg
Joined Oct 2009
379 Posts
Quote:
Congratulations on the maiden !!! The finished plane looks great. Nice job on the wing tip and the railroad engineering in the blue carpet photo.
Thank's Kent! The railroad is an engeneering project of my sons (4 and 6 years old); too dificult for me

Quote:
Flight testing any prototype always provides some surprises...especially true of Hortens. Everything has to be just right or you'll have many MANY surprises. At least that has been my experience. [...] Although I've manage to fly a couple of different Horten style ships, it always amazes me to see a new design fly.
Yep, me too. I was this time very curious about the airfoil family I used. It was the first time applied in a model and it could have gone wrong despite of my simulations. This airfoil feels really interesting. This small ship has a quiet good penetration speed, despite of having a low wing loading of about 30-40 g/m². We did some flight testing at that time, including a failed aerotow attempt:

Testing the H-Ic (3 min 57 sec)

Quote:
Did you happen to shoot a video of the recent maiden?
Yes, there is a more recent video with skid. But I have not gone flying since November last year.

Horten Ib in 1:8 (2 min 4 sec)

BTW the video is full HD and can be played in fullscreen

It took us from the first day I started with simulations to the first maiden about two months. Fast, considering that we had not even a design or any kind of plans

Cheers
Andrés
andrecillo76 is offline Find More Posts by andrecillo76
Last edited by andrecillo76; Feb 11, 2013 at 06:32 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2013, 07:00 AM
Heidelberg
Joined Oct 2009
379 Posts
Time for the skid and canopy...

Without a skid it was very hard to keep the wing in hands for bunge launching (a helper was requiered). We hoped to be able to aerotow more easily too. Anywoay, the original Ib has a skid and I like the looks. We used the original hook positions to fix the three layered skid: 3mm ply in the center and 10mm balsa on the sides. The skid was glue with cotton thickened 5 min epoxy.

I also made the postive for the clear canopy by sanding the piece further, covering it with 80g/m² twill tow glass fiber (24h epoxy) and priming the piece several times. The canopy was deep-drawed using 0.7 mm Vivak heated in the oven at about 150 C until ready (can't explain when it's ready, you just have to feel it). I use my best socks on my hands when I do this to keep them save and to be able to touch the Vivak without leaving marks .

Wolfgang made me some self-adhesive markings (D-NIDA) of scale size. The adhesive markings are brushed over with the varnished a couple of time to cover and protect them.

Cheers
Andrés
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:56 AM
less is more
United States, CA, Marina
Joined Sep 2006
2,852 Posts
After watching your flight videos again, I'm beginning to think that I have been flying my Hortens with a CG that is too aft. Mine have yaw instability and yours are on rails. Also, I regularly fly at minimum sink.

Thanks for the videos. I always learn something.

Kent
Knoll53 is online now Find More Posts by Knoll53
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 04, 2013, 05:15 AM
I don't like your altitude
Joined Sep 2011
3,325 Posts
Any further flights with this?
Stupot46 is offline Find More Posts by Stupot46
Last edited by Stupot46; Apr 04, 2013 at 05:22 AM.
Old Apr 04, 2013, 06:01 AM
Heidelberg
Joined Oct 2009
379 Posts
Dear Stuart,

weather has been vary bad here in Germany since January. The winter does not want to end at all. At some places, there is still more than 10" of snow on the ground . The weather isn't that bad here in Heidelberg, and we had at last a couple of sunny days, but strong gusty winds have been blowing. So no weather for flying .

I hope the season starts soon

Cheers
Andrés
Old Apr 04, 2013, 08:30 AM
Joined Sep 2011
3,325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrecillo76 View Post
Dear Stuart,

weather has been vary bad here in Germany since January. The winter does not want to end at all. At some places, there is still more than 10" of snow on the ground . The weather isn't that bad here in Heidelberg, and we had at last a couple of sunny days, but strong gusty winds have been blowing. So no weather for flying .

I hope the season starts soon

Cheers
Andrés
Same story over here.The jet stream has done the loop again,really cold east winds.Brrrrr
Old Sep 23, 2013, 05:53 AM
Heidelberg
Joined Oct 2009
379 Posts
Dear Stuart,

I finally found a good occasion to fly the H-I again. We had a nice meeting in Okel near Bremen and aerotowed the H-I a couple of times. We also used a winch. It was great fun

Enjoy the full HD video ,
Andrés

HI in Okel (2 min 28 sec)
Old Sep 23, 2013, 09:45 AM
less is more
Joined Sep 2006
2,852 Posts
Aerotow, high start and 12V winch. A little bit of everything at one event. Cool ! So this appears to be a "Glider Day". Sorry I missed it. Looks like fun. I couldn't help but to notice that your flying style is conservative and safe. From the tow hook location to the flying speed to the long smooth landing. Almost a training film for Hortens.

Kent
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 23, 2013, 11:52 AM
Joined Sep 2011
3,325 Posts
Very nice Andres,thanks for that!
Stuart
Old Sep 24, 2013, 12:43 AM
Heidelberg
Joined Oct 2009
379 Posts
Kent, you got me . I prefere safety over glory . It was certainly a fun glider day. We had two planes for making aerotow and many gliders.

Sure Stuart, I hope you enjoyed
Old Jun 11, 2014, 08:00 AM
Heidelberg
Joined Oct 2009
379 Posts
Hi,

I thought it would be time to post a new video of the H-I. This year, the maiden of the original H-I has its 81st aniversary. Jörg organized a meeting and we flew of course the H-I model:

Horten I Jubiläumsflug (2 min 7 sec)

By the way, the title photo was shot at the original hangar, that Reimar and Walter Horten used in the 1930s for storing the H-I, among other of their all-wings.

Cheers,
Andrés
Old Jun 11, 2014, 10:18 AM
Tailless Happy
Germany
Joined Jan 2009
43 Posts
Nice Video !
HortenI is online now Find More Posts by HortenI
Old Jun 11, 2014, 11:30 AM
less is more
Joined Sep 2006
2,852 Posts
I like the part where the kids run after the airplane......some things are true all over the world.

So these flights were at sunset, too late in the day for any hope of thermal activity. I keep hoping to see this one hook a thermal and disappear into the heavens.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 11, 2014, 03:09 PM
Joined Sep 2011
3,325 Posts
Nice video Andres! Looked as though you found a little bit of something on the second launch.
The building looks in good condition,still used for aircraft I presume?
Old Jun 12, 2014, 12:08 AM
Tailless Happy
Germany
Joined Jan 2009
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupot46 View Post
Nice video Andres! Looked as though you found a little bit of something on the second launch.
The building looks in good condition,still used for aircraft I presume?

Yes it is two Fi 156 for example are in.
HortenI is online now Find More Posts by HortenI