Old Sep 28, 2012, 08:04 PM
Quebec Aerotow Association
Canada, QC, st-jean-sur-richelieu
Joined May 2010
552 Posts
Discussion
Can someone suggest a good quality slim wing servo that does not bust the bank

Hi,
I finally received my Nitroplanes Masala. In the manual, I see they built the glider with JR DS161 servos. I took a look around and some of these servos are 100$/each.

Can someone suggest a reliable slim wing servo that is affordable?
thanks
Charles
Charlescd is online now Find More Posts by Charlescd
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 28, 2012, 08:14 PM
WINS - Winch In Nose Sailplane
USA, NH
Joined Mar 2008
2,991 Posts
Hyperion 095 FMD. Excellent.
jaizon is offline Find More Posts by jaizon
Old Sep 28, 2012, 08:23 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,195 Posts
Hi, Charles. I'm glad you finally talked them into sending you the plane. I would have given up in disgust!

I've been trying to decide between these from HobbyKing:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...12sec_28g.html

And these from Esprit Models:

http://www.espritmodel.com/mks-ds450...tal-servo.aspx

I haven't used either so I'm not making a recommendation, just a suggestion. Let us know what you decided on and give your impressions because I'm going to be in the market soon.

Also, it seems like a lot of planes call for "slim" servo, which are generally 10mm, when a 12mm servo will fit. That would open you up for anything in the 14-23 gram range and probably save you a couple more bucks.

Cheers!
peterlngh is online now Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Sep 28, 2012, 11:27 PM
Flyin' Ryan
USA, MO, Lee's Summit
Joined Sep 2001
978 Posts
You may able to find some of the older Hitec HS 125s around farily inexpensive. They are not digital, but they seem to work fine for me on one of my planes. There may be some in the RCG classifieds.

Ryan
rycomm is offline Find More Posts by rycomm
Old Sep 29, 2012, 12:50 AM
GARNER NC
Joined Apr 2009
442 Posts
Here is a good one to think about Dymond D60's http://www.rc-dymond.com/

Kevin
kunclebuc is offline Find More Posts by kunclebuc
Old Sep 29, 2012, 09:36 AM
Joined May 2010
552 Posts
The Turnigy seem pretty good but I'm always worried about reliability with their products.

Hitec 125mg seem well priced.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 10:04 AM
Joined Apr 2012
2,195 Posts
Yeah. I've been lucky, so far, with Hobby King products but there are plenty of horror stories out there. QC seems to be the biggest issue. Their stuff works well if it works at all but they do ship defective units. On the other hand; I've rarely seen complaints about the products from Esprit Models. I'll probably go with them for anything much over a $100.00 airframe.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 09:01 PM
Joined May 2010
552 Posts
Well i finally decided.
The local shop here had some Power HD HD-1711MG.

They look good and i've seen no negative reviews.

Next: the build thread.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 01:26 PM
Mobile, AL
Joined Jul 2008
168 Posts
I have a double hand full of HS-55's with stripped gears and not one Turnigy with the same problem - six + years of usage.
lloyd3521 is offline Find More Posts by lloyd3521
Old Oct 04, 2012, 02:47 PM
Stress Be Gone
Snohomish, WA
Joined May 2000
3,341 Posts
These are rather nice:

http://www.alofthobbies.com/kst-ds125-wing-servo.html
GBR2 is offline Find More Posts by GBR2
Old Oct 10, 2012, 03:19 AM
United States, CA, Novato
Joined Sep 2003
5,417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlescd View Post
Well i finally decided.
The local shop here had some Power HD HD-1711MG.

They look good and i've seen no negative reviews.

Next: the build thread.
The Power HD 1711MG is a nice analog servo, but not sure I would call them slim, they are "normals".
http://www.alofthobbies.com/hd-1711mg.html

If you want a SLIM digital with pretty good power:
http://www.alofthobbies.com/dsm44.html

That DSM44 is a really nice little servo. Digital, coreless and metal gears all in a tiny little package.

-Wayne
Rotozuk is online now Find More Posts by Rotozuk
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 10, 2012, 03:56 AM
Life-abstract=conformity
S.F. Bay Area
Joined Aug 2002
1,853 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotozuk View Post
The Power HD 1711MG is a nice analog servo, but not sure I would call them slim, they are "normals".
http://www.alofthobbies.com/hd-1711mg.html

If you want a SLIM digital with pretty good power:
http://www.alofthobbies.com/dsm44.html

That DSM44 is a really nice little servo. Digital, coreless and metal gears all in a tiny little package.

-Wayne
Nice to see someone stocking the HD line.
Bought some for a Cularis project that hasn't materialized.Took an 1810 apart and was quite pleased.
I would say the DSM44 @ 1.2 Kg/Cm would be pretty light for a 3.4m e-sailplane.Prolly better to go with the 1711 or 1810.
Skies
Jay.
P.S. Wayne,you mention on your website...
Quote:
Note: These do have a bit of play in the gears, similar to other makes and models costing much more.
Is this significant enough to result in double centering?
AirBornOne is offline Find More Posts by AirBornOne
Old Oct 10, 2012, 04:23 AM
United States, CA, Novato
Joined Sep 2003
5,417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirBornOne View Post
Nice to see someone stocking the HD line.
Bought some for a Cularis project that hasn't materialized.Took an 1810 apart and was quite pleased.
I would say the DSM44 @ 1.2 Kg/Cm would be pretty light for a 3.4m e-sailplane.Prolly better to go with the 1711 or 1810.
Skies
Jay.
P.S. Wayne,you mention on your website...

Is this significant enough to result in double centering?
Actually, only the first batch had any play in them. All recent batches have been perfect. I should probably remove that from the site. (Will leave it up for now.) Since the are digital, they offer very nice centering, especially for such a tiny servo, and a small dead band.

I just got a servo torture tester, and I plan to abuse the heck out of some servos. I'm eager to see how well some of the different gears in different servos hold up to a little light abuse. I think a few thousand short fast cycles with a fair bit of weight might do the trick.

I bring this up as we have been testing a lot of servos lately and found many of the cheaper metal gear servos start off with tight gears but they get loose VERY quickly. A good example are the cheap Corona 929, 939 series. (We no longer sell them for this reason.) I'm looking forward to torturing some of the new titanium/alloy geared servos.

-Wayne
Rotozuk is online now Find More Posts by Rotozuk
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 10, 2012, 04:31 PM
Life-abstract=conformity
S.F. Bay Area
Joined Aug 2002
1,853 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotozuk View Post
Actually, only the first batch had any play in them. All recent batches have been perfect. I should probably remove that from the site. (Will leave it up for now.) Since the are digital, they offer very nice centering, especially for such a tiny servo, and a small dead band.

I just got a servo torture tester, and I plan to abuse the heck out of some servos. I'm eager to see how well some of the different gears in different servos hold up to a little light abuse. I think a few thousand short fast cycles with a fair bit of weight might do the trick.

I bring this up as we have been testing a lot of servos lately and found many of the cheaper metal gear servos start off with tight gears but they get loose VERY quickly. A good example are the cheap Corona 929, 939 series. (We no longer sell them for this reason.) I'm looking forward to torturing some of the new titanium/alloy geared servos.

-Wayne
Bravo Wayne.
I endeavored,a few years ago,to concoct a servo torture chamber.Never happened.
What I wanted to know was if the torque 'ratings' we're real numbers or theoretical values.Also current draws and mostly...centering accuracy both fresh from the package and after torturing.
I'm wondering if a little high quality grease is called for on these tiny gears?
Skies
Jay.
AirBornOne is offline Find More Posts by AirBornOne
Old Oct 10, 2012, 05:21 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,195 Posts
RE: Gear wear.

Back when there was no such thing as a cheap metal gear servo I got in the habit of using a dab of silicone grease. I had a couple bearings go bad but the gears themselves stayed nice and tight. An old friend took it one step further and he would pull all the gears, coat them with Duralube or Slick50, and bake them in a 200 degree(?) oven for a half-hour or so. I was flying with him a couple weeks ago and he has some 15 year old servos that are still silent and slop free despite his habit of really abusing servos (and everything else!).