to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 05, 2012, 05:19 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,998 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by planecrazy1969 View Post
Thats exactly what I was thinking about doing Fred...that little mod will make these things unbelievably maneuverable...of course it really only works on highly swept wings that you named

Stace
Thanks Stace,

It also works on say a F-18 style with semi-delta shaped wings (like the profile f-18 I took the photo from)! Unbelievably maneuverable, but still highly controlable. My F-18 is sweet to fly!

Fred
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
Old Oct 05, 2012, 08:16 PM
RC Adddict
Canada, BC, Williams Lake
Joined Jan 2010
4,271 Posts
What effect would wingtip streamers have ?
Wilfor is online now Find More Posts by Wilfor
Old Oct 05, 2012, 08:18 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,998 Posts
If they are long, clip one and you will start to do large circles! LOL.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 08:41 PM
RC Adddict
Canada, BC, Williams Lake
Joined Jan 2010
4,271 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddie B View Post
If they are long, clip one and you will start to do large circles! LOL.
Seems pretty realistic to me
Wilfor is online now Find More Posts by Wilfor
Old Oct 05, 2012, 10:25 PM
Gone Fly'n
USA, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Jan 2007
289 Posts
I managed to make a plan view but want to wait until I can build and fly it before release...unless somebody really wants it to try out...this is V1 and I'm sure there will be changes...I can't believe I actually got this bird on one sheet...also...I didn't do any cut outs for a battery or servos as I imagine folks will want to experiment with locations for tailerons and linked ailerons and elevators...enjoy

Stace
planecrazy1969 is offline Find More Posts by planecrazy1969
Last edited by planecrazy1969; Oct 06, 2012 at 11:13 AM.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 06:31 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,541 Posts
Stace,
Love that F-100! Looks supersonic just sitting there.

Ken
dz1sfb is offline Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Old Oct 06, 2012, 09:41 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,541 Posts
Cut a kit of the Vampire this evening. This looks to be a relatively easy build. Posted a couple of pics in the VLF Vampire post.

Ken
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 06, 2012, 09:47 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,541 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgy View Post
Found this F-4 Phantom plan in the C/Line section... Ready-made VLF jobby. (Hope it's OK to re-post! Let me know, if not i will remove asap)

If you were to build this, would you put ailerons in-board or out-board of that famous wing dihideral? (or both?)

Full flying H-Stab? Or conventional fixed H-Stab + elevator split?

George
George,
Your right this is a nearly ready made plan. I would keep the full flying stab and single servo ailerons. A 3 layer fuselage with a couple extra layers for the engine area. Might be tough to get this onto a single sheet. Will see what can be worked up.

Ken
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 06, 2012, 10:39 PM
Gone Fly'n
USA, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Jan 2007
289 Posts
Moving on with the century series...I started the F-101 Voodoo...still messing with this design and just might stick with this center motor mount...Seems to be the most logical place for this jet.

Stace
Old Oct 06, 2012, 10:41 PM
Gone Fly'n
USA, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Jan 2007
289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dz1sfb View Post
Cut a kit of the Vampire this evening. This looks to be a relatively easy build. Posted a couple of pics in the VLF Vampire post.

Ken
That vampire looks great Ken...can't wait to see it put together
Old Oct 07, 2012, 02:05 AM
Allways the hard way!
South Africa, GP, Germiston
Joined Jan 2012
447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by planecrazy1969 View Post
Moving on with the century series...I started the F-101 Voodoo...still messing with this design and just might stick with this center motor mount...Seems to be the most logical place for this jet.

Stace
Stace,
Now your talking (drawing?!) my language! Love slot-jet set-ups.
What prop size? With the 7x6 that thing is gonna have to be huge...

Ken,
That Vamp looks really good! FYI: Read else-where in another Vampire thread the disigner had to re-enforce the horisontal stab due to flutter or something! Maybe something to think about? (think he lost the stab!) With your elevon set-up it will suck, but not be terminal. A-10 Warthog level of combat surviveability

Also keen to see the Phantom...

PS: I ordered some 24g motors to try & stay in your design parameters. Depron waiting...

George
georgy is online now Find More Posts by georgy
Old Oct 07, 2012, 06:13 AM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,541 Posts
George,
Not sure what you mean by this
Quote:
With your elevon set-up it will suck, but not be terminal.
. Could you clarify?

It would be easy to put a simple carbon spar in the horizontal stab if needed.

One thing about the Vampire design is that it is very flexible. It will be able to be built as a VLF or PLF design. Elevon, or Flaperon, Elevator, with options for rudder. For the combat purist, I would go with PLF style with elevon setup at one end of the spectrum to VLF style with some additional foam pieces for more scale appearance, with the flaperon, elevator, and rudder.

There is room in the wing planform for both elevator and rudder servos that would utulize a snake cable pushrod to get that control back there. Another option would be to use up to a 3000 Kv motor on 2s. I say 2s because the amp load starts to really go up on 3s, and then you need a bigger esc and battery, meaning much higher wing loading and less fun to fly.

Stace,
You got the ideas going on in your head, I can see. I am wondering if we could find a suitable smaller diameter, but high pitch prop instead of the 7x6? I am considering a similar setup on the Phantom. Closer inspection of the profile in the control line plan George posted led me to get a scale view for comparison. I like the scale view better and it has more profile details that would be nice to incorporate into a PLF design.

Best of luck with the Voodoo. Long time since I have seen a three view of these.

Ken
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 07, 2012, 08:52 AM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,998 Posts
The Blue Wonder style (24g) motors, at 3000kv, are best on 4.1"x4.1" to 5" x4.5" props. The 18 amp ESC needed is only a few grams heavier than a 10-12A size. Although a larger battery is needed for similar flight times, not necessary for just flying. Speed is awsome, in the 90-100 mph ranges.

Fred
Old Oct 07, 2012, 10:11 AM
Gone Fly'n
USA, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Jan 2007
289 Posts
Yes I can definitely design it for a smaller prop...as it sits now the slot is made to fit a 7"...my Su-37 with 21"ws uses a 5X5 and an Emax cf2805 with 2800kv motor...its a screamer on a 3s...the ws on the f-101 is coming in at 27.45" with an area of 147.08...a 6x4 might be better for this size of plane...a lot of guys are using the infamous 2200kv motors on these profile jets with ws of 28"-29" and a 6" prop...this motor will also spin a 7" prop with lots of thrust on 3s...we might have to up the motors on these just to get enough speed with the swept wings...I guess there's still lots to work out on these birds