Old Oct 01, 2012, 05:11 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,998 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Clumsy View Post
Also, a Starfighter will never work
I think a Starfighter would be able to work, especially if Ken does it like the Hunter, with a fuselage that has a substantial, if but long, horizontal surface. It would be fast and roll like the dickens, LOL. Keep the speed up, catch me if you can! If there is a small cheat on wingspan, all the better. I don't think the scale police will mind since these are 'scale like' combat planes anyway. I've seen some Buzz Bombs, and a RC profile rocket that flew pretty cool.

But on my own band wagon, I too would vote for keeping the designs to the early jets, say pre 1975, or earlier. But since no one asked for my vote, whatever it ends up being is cool. Pushers are cool, mid-fuse slotted motors are cool, but if it's combat, I think I would want the prop up front like a combat plane should be. However if someone wanted to invest in the Horizon/parkzone Sconic Module idea, that would be perfect. Too bad the control board for using them on standard RX'ers isn't a cheat off the shelf item.

I'll be quiet now and lurk in the background......

Fred
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 01, 2012, 06:11 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,673 Posts
Quick swag at F-104

Ken
dz1sfb is offline Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Old Oct 01, 2012, 06:12 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,998 Posts
You just know that is going to fly. And fly like a missle with wings! Very cool.

Fred
Old Oct 01, 2012, 07:03 PM
Gone Fly'n
USA, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Jan 2007
294 Posts
that 104 looks nice Ken...I was thinking about doing the century series jets...probably start with the Super Sabre
planecrazy1969 is online now Find More Posts by planecrazy1969
Old Oct 01, 2012, 07:16 PM
You sabotaged my plane.
Arizona
Joined Jun 2002
2,823 Posts
I had done a F-104. Flew pretty good overall once I figured everything out. Roll was super fast but I don't thing it would make a good dogfighter as turns were pretty wide and had a very deep stall.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956580

Jim
eliworm is online now Find More Posts by eliworm
Old Oct 01, 2012, 07:18 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,998 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliworm View Post
I had done a F-104. Flew pretty good overall once I figured everything out. Roll was super fast but I don't thing it would make a good dogfighter as turns were pretty wide and had a very deep stall.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956580

Jim
Nice 104! It would be hard to catch, sort of like streamer not cut kinda thing....
Old Oct 01, 2012, 09:51 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,673 Posts
Jim,
Nice thread. I know "there is nothing new under the sun". My only hope is that the wing loading will be light, and the stall characteristics are quite a bit better of the KFm2 over a flate plate airfoil.

Thanks for sharing. Also try to build on experiences, either my own or others.

Ken
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 01, 2012, 10:10 PM
RC Adddict
Canada, BC, Williams Lake
Joined Jan 2010
4,314 Posts
Since our Government wont build it for us maybe Ken will . Avro Arrow
Wilfor is online now Find More Posts by Wilfor
Old Oct 01, 2012, 10:14 PM
You sabotaged my plane.
Arizona
Joined Jun 2002
2,823 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dz1sfb View Post
Jim,
Nice thread. I know "there is nothing new under the sun". My only hope is that the wing loading will be light, and the stall characteristics are quite a bit better of the KFm2 over a flate plate airfoil.

Thanks for sharing. Also try to build on experiences, either my own or others.

Ken
Hi Ken,
I have been wanting to try some KF airfiols on some of my designs but time always gets in the way. I'm just glad to be able to finish any project lately. I know many have had good success trying them. It would be fun to mess with.

I hope this thread really rallies some people to start drawing and building. I might have a crack at drawing up the X-4 you posted.

Jim
eliworm is online now Find More Posts by eliworm
Old Oct 01, 2012, 10:50 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,673 Posts
Thanks Jim,
I am excited by the enthuseism that has been generated so far. Looking forward to see what folks might be inspired to develop. It has been interesting to see how far foamies have developed over the years since I joined this forum.

It nice sometimes to buy a model already done, but nothing gives me greater satisfaction in the modeling world than developing my own design that flys well, and the converse is true also. I have had a number of duds as well.

Just a note on the F-104, I have reflexed the horizontal portion of the fuselage. It gives a bit of lift and strengthens of the fuselage dramatically.

Ken
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 01, 2012, 11:05 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,673 Posts
F-16

I am not a big fan of the F-16, but had developed one around the 150 sq. in. criteria back in the spring. Here is some pictures. Have flown it extensively this summer. She goes around 70 mph on a 3000 Kv 24g motor with an APC 4.75x4.75 prop on a 1300 mAh 3s battery.

I have not released any plans for it yet. It has full flying tailerons and I think I'd llike to change it to have regular ailerons and split the hinge line on the elevators for a more conventional setup making it easier to build and fly.

It glides quite well, but you have to watch the elevator use carfully in a glide. Too much is like putting on the brakes.

Ken
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by dz1sfb; Oct 02, 2012 at 05:10 AM.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 11:11 PM
Slopeosapien
Joined Jun 2006
794 Posts
Aah the venerable Falcon... I don't like them either, but I've always got one in my stable because they're just such solid flyers. Nice work Ken! I have a Sketchup question for ya, though. I obviously want to design my jets to suit the 150 in2 rule. Is there a panel area calculator built in or is it a plug-in I have to get?

@ Cody: Hey my jets are old! The 21 and the Su-7 were both '59, and the Su-11 was '64 hahaha! But if we're really going "purist" (which I'm game for, too!) How bout the Yak 15 from '47? Nice old school straight wing jet. Ugly, to be sure, but I may build one as well... Kinda grown on me the more I look at it!
jonesymj is offline Find More Posts by jonesymj
Last edited by jonesymj; Oct 01, 2012 at 11:23 PM.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 05:06 AM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,673 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesymj View Post
... Is there a panel area calculator built in or is it a plug-in I have to get?

In SketchUp if you select just a surface, right click, entity info, a window pops up that gives you area. If you do that with lines it will tell you the length of the line(s) and or curve(s) selected. Nice thing to know in this arena.

Ken
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 02, 2012, 05:12 AM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,673 Posts
I gotta admire the Soviets for there resourcefulness. The Yak-15 is just a clear example of putting a jet engine into a piston airframe. It would be interesting to read on a bit of its operational history if any.

Ken
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 02, 2012, 09:11 AM
Allways the hard way!
South Africa, GP, Germiston
Joined Jan 2012
458 Posts
Just a dumb question regarding the 150 sqr" wing rule: I get the calculation method, but does that mean BIG-WING planes like deltas (Mirage3, Skyray, Dagger/Dart) will be much smaller than eg a Sabre? Theres a lot more wing on those deltas!

Something like the small-wing Starfighter might end up twice the scale of a Mirage-3? Or is the wing area rule meant to tie-down something else?

I don't think this aspect of the wing-rule on the WW2 warbirds was such a "problem" as they all pretty much was the same basic lay-out...

Sorry to complicate things

George
georgy is offline Find More Posts by georgy