Old Oct 12, 2012, 02:30 PM
Gone Fly'n
USA, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Jan 2007
294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dz1sfb View Post
Stace,
Rather than going with a bigger motor, you might opt for the 3000 Kv motor. Adding weightier motors means bigger batteries and higher wing loading.

I was just looking at the spreadsheet, and see your dilemma with the F-101. however the F-100 is quite reasonable at 1/18 scale for the chosen motor. It may be that some of the larger jets are not suitable for this class. That is the drawback to sticking to scale.

CC,
Thanks for posting the 3 view of the Fokker. Never saw one of these before. Sometimes obscure (from my perspective) is good.

Ken
Hi Ken...yeah I guess not all jets are suitable for what we are trying to achieve...I'll just stick with the F-100 for now and get it developed...skip the 101...and go for the F-102 next

Stace
planecrazy1969 is offline Find More Posts by planecrazy1969
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2012, 06:20 AM
Allways the hard way!
South Africa, GP, Germiston
Joined Jan 2012
460 Posts
hi C-C,

Where do you find these things?

You learn something new on RCG every day!

LEDUC, another "missile-with-a-man-in-it"... very cool! But i think I still prefer the F-104....

Boring Mirage III... ? Never!! LoL

George
georgy is offline Find More Posts by georgy
Old Oct 13, 2012, 03:20 PM
Gone Fly'n
USA, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Jan 2007
294 Posts
Just did the size conversion for the F-102...it also is to big for the specified motor...WS 18.7" Length 45.5" ...these jets only get bigger with numbers ie; 105, 106...so no more century jets...sorry guys...gonna do the F-100 only and move on to smaller jets more like the A-4, F-5 or something of that scale
Old Oct 13, 2012, 04:58 PM
Allways the hard way!
South Africa, GP, Germiston
Joined Jan 2012
460 Posts
Got a soft-spot for the A-4 Skyhawk.. Awesome workhorse...

Really like the Isreali camo paint... & close 2nd the USAF carrier schemes. White or grey with the group's colours prominently displayed.

George
georgy is offline Find More Posts by georgy
Old Oct 13, 2012, 05:12 PM
Proud of Brushless Sprouts
Belgium, Flanders, Antwerp
Joined Feb 2007
328 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgy View Post
hi C-C,

Where do you find these things?

You learn something new on RCG every day!

LEDUC, another "missile-with-a-man-in-it"... very cool! But i think I still prefer the F-104....

Boring Mirage III... ? Never!! LoL

George
Being an airplane (history) buff since I was about eight has left its marks I'm affraid, Google and Wikipedia did the rest.
There is nothing wrong at all with the stunning beautiful Mirage III, but imagine the Leduc 022 winning the competition for the French high speed, high altitude fighter instead. Aviation would look totally Flash Gordon by now.

Anyway, I have tons of ideas for obscure, quirky jets. If nobody minds (especially Ken/dz1sfb) I will post them regularly with a maximum of one per day.

To conclude: while checking my facts about the Leducs, I found out that the British were designing something similar at the same time, it never took flight though:
Commander Clumsy is offline Find More Posts by Commander Clumsy
Old Oct 13, 2012, 05:18 PM
Gone Fly'n
USA, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Jan 2007
294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgy View Post
Got a soft-spot for the A-4 Skyhawk.. Awesome workhorse...

Really like the Isreali camo paint... & close 2nd the USAF carrier schemes. White or grey with the group's colours prominently displayed.

George
Yes...an awesome jet indeed...this one will be a challenge with it having a low wing and intakes on top...it might be better suited as a VLF plane

Stace
Old Oct 13, 2012, 07:26 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by planecrazy1969 View Post
Yes...an awesome jet indeed...this one will be a challenge with it having a low wing and intakes on top...it might be better suited as a VLF plane

Stace
Agree! Great subject for a VLF pusher.

Ken
dz1sfb is online now Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Old Oct 14, 2012, 01:03 PM
RC Adddict
Canada, BC, Williams Lake
Joined Jan 2010
4,324 Posts
Okay i want to build on of these . I'm gonna go with the CF100 ( go figure )

Name: CF100 1.jpg
Views: 56
Size: 6.5 KB
Description:

Name: CF100.jpg
Views: 56
Size: 121.5 KB
Description:
Wilfor is offline Find More Posts by Wilfor
Old Oct 14, 2012, 01:12 PM
RC Adddict
Joined Jan 2010
4,324 Posts
Okay maybe not . Running the #s for the 100 and the 105 ( choice #2 ) and they seem to big . any thoughts ?
Old Oct 14, 2012, 01:57 PM
ExPat
Spain, Murcia, Mazarrón
Joined Apr 2010
1,600 Posts

Ohhhh love it, a real retro feel good factor
Aero Andy is offline Find More Posts by Aero Andy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Phoenix 2000
Old Oct 14, 2012, 02:32 PM
Gone Fly'n
USA, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Jan 2007
294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilfor View Post
Okay maybe not . Running the #s for the 100 and the 105 ( choice #2 ) and they seem to big . any thoughts ?
I've been running some conversions as well and am finding that larger jet fighters are not going to be compatible with the scale and motor restrictions...we will be limited to smaller jets that have more or less equal WS to length ratios or jets that were relatively small in full scale.

Stace
Old Oct 14, 2012, 02:47 PM
RC Adddict
Joined Jan 2010
4,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by planecrazy1969 View Post
I've been running some conversions as well and am finding that larger jet fighters are not going to be compatible with the scale and motor restrictions...we will be limited to smaller jets that have more or less equal WS to length ratios or jets that were relatively small in full scale.

Stace
Maybe a second class 1/20 scale or 1/22 for larger birds ? may be able to get them in the same ball park ?
Old Oct 14, 2012, 02:51 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilfor View Post
Maybe a second class 1/20 scale or 1/22 for larger birds ? may be able to get them in the same ball park ?
I would say "go for it". The challenge to stay within a certain scale and power package is more of a personal challenge to me.

Lets make this fun,
Ken
dz1sfb is online now Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Old Oct 14, 2012, 04:19 PM
Gone Fly'n
USA, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Jan 2007
294 Posts
+1...I'm with you on this Ken...if we don't allow for bigger planes to be scaled down a bit, we're gonna miss out on some great RC planes...lets do it Wilfor...scale them down to fit the power package...so how about restrictions for combat jets being that the plane just needs to fit the motor, and by doing this I don't think there will be any issues with wing area?..All in favor say I

Stace