SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 28, 2012, 04:25 PM
United Kingdom, England, Windermere
Joined Oct 2010
199 Posts
Discussion
thermalling next to lake...

I live and fly within 1/4mile of a large lake, (Windermere, Cumbria, UK). I was wondering because I fly on the east side of the lake and the prevailing is nearly always a westerly could this affect the thermal forming capabilities.. I regularly witness a "blue-hole" above me while all around there is Cumulus, am I in a sink hole..? I don't have any trouble finding thermals to ride but I was wondering if I would have more luck if I flew somewhere else away from the effect of the lake if such a thing exists..? Just wondering, part of the learning curve and all that..

Chris..
Manonthegrassyknoll is offline Find More Posts by Manonthegrassyknoll
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 28, 2012, 05:42 PM
wlm
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Sep 2003
36 Posts
Good Question. We fly on the southwest side of a large lake in Texas. (Lake Lewisville) About
1/4 mile from the shore. When the wind is from the northeast blowing across the water it seems that it is more difficult to find lift in the northeast direction. Bill
wlm is offline Find More Posts by wlm
Old Sep 28, 2012, 06:22 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,792 Posts
We avoid the downwind areas around lakes when flying full-scale because of what we call the lake-shadow effect...
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Sep 28, 2012, 06:25 PM
Okanagan Falls. British columbia. Canada
Joined Nov 2006
366 Posts
Lake effect

Our glider field(park) is due south of Skaha Lake by about 5 blocks, and we have found the same problem. Our winds a mainly from the north, and we have found that flying to the west or east of the park is more likely to lead to lifty conditions. The air above the lakes on a hot day is usually cooler descending air, and this air mass is drifting downwind over the park in a continuos 'river of air'(to quote Dave Thornburg). Ken.
knormang is offline Find More Posts by knormang
Old Sep 28, 2012, 06:27 PM
Okanagan Falls. British columbia. Canada
Joined Nov 2006
366 Posts
Lake effect

Our glider field(park) is due south of Skaha Lake by about 5 blocks, and we have found the same problem. Our winds a mainly from the north, and we have found that flying to the west or east of the park is more likely to lead to lifty conditions. The air above the lakes on a hot day is usually cooler descending air, and this air mass is drifting downwind over the park in a continuous 'river of air'(to quote Dave Thornburg). Ken.
knormang is offline Find More Posts by knormang
Old Sep 29, 2012, 11:08 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
7,109 Posts
If the shore is steep you might be able to slope soar it.

Maybe you're right about the blue hole, but I've flown off a frozen lake and caught thermals. Not a large lake, though.
lincoln is online now Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 30, 2012, 02:53 AM
United Kingdom, England, Windermere
Joined Oct 2010
199 Posts
Thanks for the replys guys, I thought there was something in it.. I'll try some different sites.. wish it did have some steep sides or even a nice little kick on the shore but unfortunately it's mostly tree lined..

Chris..
Manonthegrassyknoll is offline Find More Posts by Manonthegrassyknoll
Old Oct 01, 2012, 12:00 AM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
7,109 Posts
You can slope soar a line of trees, if they are close together. I do it fairly often at our field, but it must be much better with the wind coming off a big lake. Sometimes you can stay up that way until you catch a thermal coming through, though that may not happen so much with a lake upwind.
lincoln is online now Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member