Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:37 AM
less is more
United States, CA, Marina
Joined Sep 2006
2,789 Posts
Thank you Herk for your contributions. We can't ALL be lurkers...

This plane has turned out to be a good West Coast sloper. I think that it will be flyable all year long, unlike the Komet that only finds the lift it likes maybe a couple of days a year.

Yesterday I pushed the CG back to 3 3/4" from the nose. Wow, I forgot what difference that makes with such a short coupled plane. Even with the elevon throws turned way down, it just jumps with the elevator input. I keep learning with this one. This CG location is clearly the Expert setting.....I'll work up to it.

There is something like a hyperstall when flying at high AoA. You can see it pretty clearly while flying, but the video just doesn't quite capture it.

Plank 101 - CG way back (3 3/4") (0 min 0 sec)

I'm slowly scratching away at Plank 2.5. Still waiting on parts from Hong Kong (I'll never do that again) and still learning from Plank 101.

Kent
Knoll53 is offline Find More Posts by Knoll53
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nosey
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 28, 2012, 02:18 AM
the answer 42 is
Switzerland, AG, Lenzburg
Joined Jan 2006
1,890 Posts
Hey Kent, nice to see that you keep on experiment. The winter has arrived here so for now everything goes into build mode. I think I will have ready the foam version for the next spring I hope I can Dlg it

EZ
Edwinzea is offline Find More Posts by Edwinzea
Old Nov 28, 2012, 08:57 AM
less is more
Joined Sep 2006
2,789 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwinzea View Post
The winter has arrived here so for now everything goes into build mode.
EZ
I thought the Swiss went skiing in the winter....could the travel brochures be wrong???

I'd be interested in seeing your design modifications. I can't imagine that you'll thicken the PW51 as I did. Also, I'm not sure that I did myself any favors by using a partial elevon.

Kent
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 29, 2012, 01:22 AM
the answer 42 is
Switzerland, AG, Lenzburg
Joined Jan 2006
1,890 Posts
Well Kent as someone said, I just happened to live here :P and the Ski holidays are out of the list for the next few years :P oHHHH I hate snow so much :P four months of no FLYING

And well I followed your design and had the think PW51 :P so we will see how ti goes. I think I will not modified it a lot only extending the elevons full span and a different fin. As I told you I have some scrap pieces that I might use for a Plank102 with higher AR and thinner airfoil maybe the PW112??

EZ
Edwinzea is offline Find More Posts by Edwinzea
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:12 AM
less is more
Joined Sep 2006
2,789 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwinzea View Post
I hate snow so much :P four months of no FLYING
EZ
ha, ha, ha....that is so funny. Maybe you could go on a maintenance program with a flight simulator for the winter. I haven't tried one yet, but I hear that you can really hone your flying skills with one.

Your mods sound good. I can imagine that if it were built right (clean and thin) this one would really move. I'm interested in building a foam fast version very much as you have describe. The DS guys fly these small (1.25m) high AR planks that are heavy. If you make it too heavy and skinny, you'll need quite a bit of wind to fly it though...... We get good winds around here only in Spring, so I have to be careful what I build or else I'll have a hangar full of planes that can only fly one month/year.

Kent
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:20 PM
Vancouver, Canada
Joined Jan 2008
576 Posts
Nice looking plank Kent. You have inspired me to build one and I hope you don't mind me posting a photo of mine.

I'm almost finished the ME163 and this plank will be my next project before I build the Horton XII I bought from Brian. This will be an EDF plank with a Wemo/Het setup.

My flying buddy has a CNC foam cutter which makes things a lot easier. I went for a fast and what I consider cool looking design while still ending up with a flyable plank, used the HQ/S1.5/9 section...I've used it before and IMO it is a good 'foil for a fast plank or wing.

Tony
T.D. is offline Find More Posts by T.D.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:51 PM
less is more
Joined Sep 2006
2,789 Posts
Sure Tony, no problem. Post whatever you like. It's all good.

That one is going to look wild in the air.

Kent
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 12, 2013, 12:16 AM
less is more
Joined Sep 2006
2,789 Posts
Winds have been dead for a month ! I've forgotten how to fly !!!

This week a storm has rolled thru and today found some real nice breezes after work. The paraglider guy said it was 30 mph. Hard to fly with frozen hands.

Just for fun, 1st flight had increased elevator throws, which caused the right wing tip to stall on the high speed loop (see :30) When I attempted the loop and got something else. I guess that's a half loop with a snap roll. I kept it out of the ocean, so maybe I'll try it again. Later I detuned the elevator throws for smoother flight. Looks like that carbon tube is going to work out nicely as a spar.

Kent

Plank 101 - 30 mph wind (0 min 0 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Knoll53; Jan 12, 2013 at 09:40 AM.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 07:16 AM
Herk
Virginia USA
Joined Jun 2007
1,637 Posts
How much ballast did you use for that flying session?
HerkS is offline Find More Posts by HerkS
Old Jan 12, 2013, 09:33 AM
less is more
Joined Sep 2006
2,789 Posts
I have only one flavor of ballast. A 16 oz. fishing weight which brings the wing loading up to 17 oz/s.f. It is the orange thing on the belly seen at 7:00. Compared to the DS guys, this is nothing. The great thing about these flying conditions is that you finally have a chance to feed in some nose down trim to see what it will do.

Kent
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 12, 2013, 09:40 AM
Herk
Virginia USA
Joined Jun 2007
1,637 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knoll53 View Post
I have only one flavor of ballast. A 16 oz. fishing weight which brings the wing loading up to 17 oz/s.f. It is the orange thing on the belly seen at 7:00. Compared to the DS guys, this is nothing. The great thing about these flying conditions is that you finally have a chance to feed in some nose down trim to see what it will do.

Kent
Man - all I can say is that it was "Doin It."
Old Jan 12, 2013, 09:47 AM
less is more
Joined Sep 2006
2,789 Posts
I wish that I could have put more weight on yesterday. It could have easily handled it AND it would have been even more fun. The Plank DS is one step closer to a true slope ship.

Kent
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 21, 2013, 08:56 PM
less is more
Joined Sep 2006
2,789 Posts
Bitter Cold Winter Flying

The winds have been near calm lately, so it's good time to head up the hill for some CG tweaking and glide tests. When flying without ballast, this planes needs a little lead in the front trim ballast compartment. It was empty today for the first flights just to get a feel for the jumpy elevator. Noticeably better glide with this CG....if only I could keep it pointed in the right direction.

It must have been 70F today....right in the middle of winter !

Plank 101 - Soberanes - CG way back.wmv (10 min 28 sec)

Then after a few flights, got the CG at a happy medium.

More Plank 101 CG tweaking (9 min 2 sec)

Kent
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 22, 2013, 07:56 AM
Herk
Virginia USA
Joined Jun 2007
1,637 Posts
Yep - for that slow - very low sink flying, a bit of coupled rudder can make a big difference in handling qualities.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 08:44 AM
less is more
Joined Sep 2006
2,789 Posts
I'm looking forward to the rudder on the Plank 2.5

Kent
RCG Plus Member