HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 28, 2012, 01:34 PM
Joined Sep 2012
8 Posts
Discussion
Syma S033G more powerful battery and charger?

Hi guys,

Just joined the forums here.
I have read a lot of the mod threads on the 033 and I'm doing some my self soon.

I just got mine today (tail mod on it's way) have the 7.4V 1500mah version (Yellow and no boom lights)

My question that I can't seem to read or find..................

Can I use a bigger battery and does LiPo add any advantages to the fly time?

I'm looking at a 7.4v 2200mah 2 cell C20 battery (does that make sense at all?)
Or upgrade to the 11.1V battery and also 2200mah

Can I still use that charger that can with the 033?
It only has a 500ma output charge

Any solid (and mostly) personal experience on a battery upgrade would be great!

Thanks!

HR
Homerraas is offline Find More Posts by Homerraas
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 28, 2012, 02:55 PM
Different fly 4 different guy
Canada, BC, Salmon Arm
Joined Jan 2011
1,892 Posts
@Homerraas:

I went through that a while ago with a similar sized MJX-T23. I also repaired a s033 recently. Here are my observations:

I expect that an 11.1v battery would result in the 'magic smoke' and end of your pcb.

The s033 I repaired did not have an abundance of lift power. Using a higher c battery would likely give it more punch but the extra weight may negate some of that. Also consider that more punch, more weight and longer flight times all add more strain (and higher temps) to the motors. From my work on the s033 I find they are built, shall we say, 'economically'.

Ideally, try to find a 20c battery that is similar in dimensions, so it will fit, and fairly close to original weight.

my .02

regards . . . g
gordonzo is offline Find More Posts by gordonzo
Old Sep 28, 2012, 03:13 PM
Joined Sep 2012
8 Posts
Thanks for the input!!

I found a LiPo 2200 mah that is 24grams heavier then the current battery.

Can I still charge it with the supplied charger?
I know I have to mod the connectors.

2200 vs 1500 any idea on longer flight times?

Tnx!
Old Sep 28, 2012, 05:47 PM
Tuguegarao City Philippines
Joined Sep 2012
375 Posts
get a good charger. i have my accucell 6. charge the stock battery for 30 minutes and your good to go.
xtian3188 is offline Find More Posts by xtian3188
Old Sep 29, 2012, 03:19 AM
Joined Sep 2012
8 Posts
I hoped someone had done this already.
It seems this is the most active forum out there for the 033
Old Sep 29, 2012, 07:08 AM
Joined Sep 2012
375 Posts
i think the bigger the capacity of the battery, the longer the charging time and of course the flying time. and also motors run hotter because of longer flying time.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 12:46 PM
Canada, BC, Salmon Arm
Joined Jan 2011
1,892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homerraas View Post
Thanks for the input!!

I found a LiPo 2200 mah that is 24grams heavier then the current battery.

Can I still charge it with the supplied charger?
I know I have to mod the connectors.

2200 vs 1500 any idea on longer flight times?

Tnx!
Your old charger will work fine but take longer to put the extra mah's into the battery. The extra flight time can't be calculated because of the unknown effect from the extra weight. You also need to watch the cog with the extra weight.

And also make sure your new battery has the same connector(s) or you will have to do some soldering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtian3188 View Post
get a good charger. i have my accucell 6. charge the stock battery for 30 minutes and your good to go.
+1 on getting a good charger but watch the charge rate, generally 1s, so 1.5A for 1500mah and 2.2A for 2200mah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtian3188 View Post
i think the bigger the capacity of the battery, the longer the charging time and of course the flying time. and also motors run hotter because of longer flying time.
+1 - monitor temperatures and adjust flight times accordingly.

I replaced my large coax's with fp's - MJX-F45 and NE228p.

regards . . . g
Last edited by gordonzo; Sep 29, 2012 at 12:49 PM. Reason: more
Old Oct 01, 2012, 02:49 PM
Joined Sep 2012
8 Posts
Thanks for the feedback, I just wonder as I read that the PCB board is the same as the 11v version and so are the motors to add a bigger battery

Just want a little more umpf to fly outside as it almost never wind still here LOL
Old Oct 03, 2012, 12:55 PM
Canada, BC, Salmon Arm
Joined Jan 2011
1,892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homerraas View Post
Thanks for the feedback, I just wonder as I read that the PCB board is the same as the 11v version and so are the motors to add a bigger battery

Just want a little more umpf to fly outside as it almost never wind still here LOL

Very interesting. Maybe someone has already tried it and can chime in here.

But if you live in an area where there is always some wind, you might be interested in trying a MJX-F45 single rotor. It is inexpensive, stable and can easily handle a light breeze.

regards . . . g
Old Oct 03, 2012, 04:52 PM
Joined Sep 2012
8 Posts
Tnx! I'll look into that!

As for the info on the PCB board, read the S033G thread
Old Oct 04, 2012, 03:20 AM
Joined Sep 2012
8 Posts
Just ordered a new Lipo 2200Mah battery, the compact version and is only 8 grams heavier then the current battery!
Keep you guys posted on how she flies (will take a few weeks as I'll be away on travel)
Old Oct 04, 2012, 04:09 AM
Joined Sep 2012
375 Posts
to use 11.1v lipo on 7.4v version of s033g, just add a lowest possible rating off fuse between the battery and the pcb. either in the black or in the red wire. this is just a trial and error so if the fuse melts(the board remains unharmed), therefore its not safe to use 3s lipo on 7.4v version. if otherwise, then it is safe. i wish i could try this but i dont have any 3s lipo on hand. just sharing my idea. proceed at your own risk. feedback is appreciated if someone willing to take the risk of trying this.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 04:27 PM
United Kingdom, Scotland, Argyll and Bute
Joined Oct 2012
796 Posts
s033g

Hi, I'm also a newby from the westcoast of scotland where we have our fair share of wind! I have an s033g and am very pleased with it. I have flown it well over a 100 times and some of these resulted in some spectacular crashes which amazingly it has survived.The first thing I changed was the battery for a 2200mah and stick it on the underneath of the canopy with velcro as far forward as it can go.The flying time is better but realistically its probably around 8-12mins.I have got 3 2200 batterys , two quality ones and one Chinese cheapy but they all perform the same. The best mod is the bigger tail rotor. I put a skyking one on mine and on high power you can go so fast it results in a death roll down wind if you go mad! It will fly into a healthy head wind , I have a weather station and know I can still fly in 10mph although its hard on the tail motor. You have to watch it does'nt overheat. Just recently all of a sudden it lacked power. It struggled to take off . After trying more batteries and a reciever it turned out to be the motors. A new pair were cheaper than any battery so can't complain and they had lasted ages.The one thing I did invest in was a quality charger since the one supplied did not charge the bigger batteries properly. I have 8 other 3 channel coax's and one 4 channel (art-tech md500) only the s033g can handle strong winds .
drambuidhe is offline Find More Posts by drambuidhe
Old Oct 15, 2012, 05:39 PM
Canada, BC, Salmon Arm
Joined Jan 2011
1,892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drambuidhe View Post
Hi, I'm also a newby from the westcoast of scotland where we have our fair share of wind! I have an s033g and am very pleased with it. I have flown it well over a 100 times and some of these resulted in some spectacular crashes which amazingly it has survived.The first thing I changed was the battery for a 2200mah and stick it on the underneath of the canopy with velcro as far forward as it can go.The flying time is better but realistically its probably around 8-12mins.I have got 3 2200 batterys , two quality ones and one Chinese cheapy but they all perform the same. The best mod is the bigger tail rotor. I put a skyking one on mine and on high power you can go so fast it results in a death roll down wind if you go mad! It will fly into a healthy head wind , I have a weather station and know I can still fly in 10mph although its hard on the tail motor. You have to watch it does'nt overheat. Just recently all of a sudden it lacked power. It struggled to take off . After trying more batteries and a reciever it turned out to be the motors. A new pair were cheaper than any battery so can't complain and they had lasted ages.The one thing I did invest in was a quality charger since the one supplied did not charge the bigger batteries properly. I have 8 other 3 channel coax's and one 4 channel (art-tech md500) only the s033g can handle strong winds .
If your s033 flies in 10mph (16km/h) winds don't ever sell it. That is far better than the average fixed pitch or quad.

regards . . . g
Old Oct 15, 2012, 05:51 PM
United Kingdom, Scotland, Argyll and Bute
Joined Oct 2012
796 Posts
s033g

I will try to video it along side my anemometer and post it on the forum. Its challenging in gusty wind but a steady wind is easier.
drambuidhe is offline Find More Posts by drambuidhe