SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by thomanie, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 12:31 PM
Trondheim, Norway
Joined Jun 2003
2,806 Posts
Mini-Review
Corona R4FA - a 4ch FASST compatible mini-review

Over the past months CoronaRC has released a few FASST compatible receivers. Currently, there are 4, 6, 8 and 14 channel versions available. The 4 and 6 ch rx'es are in addition available in S.BUS capable versions. I'll be taking a closer look at the 4ch R4FA non-S.BUS version here.

Packaging and features
The receiver came in a cardboard backed, plastic retail package. Design-wise the packaging has a way to go IMHO.

The receiver itself has a dark, slight transparent, plastic casing. 2x2 rows servo connectors off the end of the receiver case, and the two antennae off the opposite end. The bind and F/S button is on the "rear" face of the R4FA. The first thing that struck me was that the rx looked thinner and felt lighter than the similar rx from the competition. Weight is spec'ed at 8 grams, I didn't bother actually weighing it.

The reciever supports both high- (HS) and low-speed modes, and support both FASST Air and FASST C1 surface systems. Supported input voltage is stated at 3.6 - 10V.

Pricing
The R4FA is priced at a tad less than the competing FASST compatible rx, but being this cheap the first place the difference is only a few USD. All in all neglible for most modellers. The big price multiplier comes from stepping up to the comparable legacy, brand-name rx.

Bench-testing
The receiver bound instantly after powering up on a 4.8V square receiver pack, while pressing the bind button. Servos moved smoothly as expected, without jittering. So far so good. Cycling power on the receiver and/or tx showed no problems with loss of binding.

Fail-safe
Firstly note that the built in rx failsafe only works for channel 3 in 7ch FASST mode, and for all channels in 10ch FASST mode. You'll need to turn off F/S on the radio too according to the manual. After a few attempts I could still not get the built-in rx failsafe to work. I do get servo movement when I power off the tx, but servos only moves a click, nowhere hear to the preset position. I'll give it another try later - to eliminate any case of troubled thumbs syndrome...

Field testing
I'll put this receiver through its paces in a suitable model very shortly - but I don't really expect any surprises there. Apart from apparantly not having a working F/S. Time will tell whether these units are as rock steady and reliable as the competitions FASST compatible units.

Summary
It's great to have yet another alternative to the brand name receivers. Choice is good, as is competition. The modest price tags on the current flood of FASST compatible receivers pave the way for an even higher fun-to-dollar ratio. Whether this rx is a good buy, only time will tell, but at this stage "acceptable" is a fitting word IMHO.

UPDATE 2012-10-04 - Flight testing
The rx has now been flight tested in a (non-powered) glider. Although weather only permitted short, lazy circuits off the slope, I have no issues to report. It seems this rx works acceptably well for its pricetag.

*Disclaimer: I don't have any affiliation with Corona RC - just a blogging end user of some of their products
thomanie is online now Find More Posts by thomanie
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by thomanie; Oct 05, 2012 at 07:58 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:40 PM
Green Fuel Boy
United States, OR, Newberg
Joined Sep 2009
63 Posts
I have been using the Frsky 7 channel receivers for with my Futaba 8FG . They are rock solid in all of my planes.Please give a good report I would like to try the Corona 2.4 receivers.
Thank you
GFB
Green Fuel Boy is offline Find More Posts by Green Fuel Boy