HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 13, 2012, 06:13 PM
I Fly!
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Jan 2011
1,372 Posts
Thanks Matt for the detail pictures I managed to make a replacement part! Since the wing took damage I decided to try some weathering. Not sure I like it this way yet.
Name: 100_0297.jpg
Views: 116
Size: 182.2 KB
Description: Name: 100_0298.jpg
Views: 120
Size: 116.8 KB
Description: Name: 100_0299.jpg
Views: 115
Size: 167.6 KB
Description:
jrtubb is online now Find More Posts by jrtubb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New Eflite Carbon Cub!
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 13, 2012, 06:33 PM
Parkstormer!
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2010
1,974 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtubb View Post
Thanks Matt for the detail pictures I managed to make a replacement part! Since the wing took damage I decided to try some weathering. Not sure I like it this way yet.
Attachment 5370719Attachment 5370720Attachment 5370721
Looks good to me!
GradyLee is offline Find More Posts by GradyLee
Old Dec 13, 2012, 08:21 PM
I Fly!
Joined Jan 2011
1,372 Posts
Looks good in pictures. Getting the dents out I put too much heat on the foam so there is some 'alligator' skin now which bugs me.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 22, 2012, 08:14 PM
Kilsyth, Victoria, Australia
Joined Oct 2003
1,972 Posts
I've been a fan of the Albatros fighter for years so I couldn't resist this one and it makes a good mate to my PZ SE5a. What did not appeal was the colour scheme which though attractive just did not suit me. I therefore repainted the DVa in the style of Leutnant Klein of Jasta 5.

All of the painting was done using artists acrylic by brush painting. I did peel off the crosses on both the upper surfaces of the top wing and from the fin rudder as I thought these very poor being bubbled and peeling. Some paper templates allowed me to mark out repacements and then I repainted them.

I wanted a pale "gold" colour to the plywood fuselage and so a light brush of Raw Sienna was given followed by just thin black lines for the panel joints.

Due to Christmas and some exceedingly hot weather I probably won't put her up until later this week but by then I should have added some inlet manifolds and coolant tubes. Sorry guys, I'm not bothering with rigging just out of practicality.

Incidentaly the whole change took around 15 hours.
David Hipperson is offline Find More Posts by David Hipperson
Old Dec 22, 2012, 08:22 PM
Kilsyth, Victoria, Australia
Joined Oct 2003
1,972 Posts
A second shot but as yet without those additions.
David Hipperson is offline Find More Posts by David Hipperson
Old Dec 23, 2012, 03:39 AM
I am GBLynden
United States, WA, Lynden
Joined Mar 2011
3,058 Posts
Cool looking plane! It doesn't look as big as it is in the pictures.
GBLynden is offline Find More Posts by GBLynden
Old Jan 06, 2013, 12:42 PM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,530 Posts
I placed mine in the back of my Prius this past Thursday before I went into work extra early. I was done working for the day about 2:00 and it was a beautiful day to fly and the local park on my way home was vacant. I had a wonderful flight and even did some flying between the trees as I was feeling on top of my game. A wonderful flight all the way to the landing by second base and the roll out to third base. Mine is still stock but I love what Dave has done to his. She looks terrific. So glad I sneaked in a flight Thursday because this weekend is a bust with fog yesterday and rain today. Even it it clears this afternoon we are putting away Christmas decorations. Sue is nice to have such a nice plane to use as a base for special painting/finishing projects. Mike H
Michael Heer is offline Find More Posts by Michael Heer
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 14, 2013, 07:03 PM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,530 Posts
A nicely painted and weathered Albatros was on display at the AMA Expo this past weekend. Mike Heer
Michael Heer is offline Find More Posts by Michael Heer
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 03, 2013, 01:44 AM
Australia, NSW, Casula
Joined Jan 2012
279 Posts
Hello fellow pilots, I'm a great fan of the warbirds and the Albatros is no acception. This beauty is a must for me as my rcgroup handle does read Redbaron and whats a Redbaron without an Albatros. The trouble is I just got this today as we have been waiting for it here in Australia for ages and to find one thats PNP is a much added bonus. I need some advice as to the characteristics of this thing of beauty. I do own a PZ SE5a and love that one to pieces and was wandering if she flies the same way. From much video here on youtube one can see an awful lot of nosing over. I do realise the CG's vertical line is very near the wheel axis which contributes to this dilemma but is there a way to land this lady with the minumum chances of nosing over. You guys are the best bunch of pilots to ask for advice as many of you have own one a while now.
redbaron1 is offline Find More Posts by redbaron1
Old Feb 03, 2013, 06:45 AM
Love Flying History
United States, VA, Front Royal
Joined Sep 2011
808 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron1 View Post
Hello fellow pilots, I'm a great fan of the warbirds and the Albatros is no acception. This beauty is a must for me as my rcgroup handle does read Redbaron and whats a Redbaron without an Albatros. The trouble is I just got this today as we have been waiting for it here in Australia for ages and to find one thats PNP is a much added bonus. I need some advice as to the characteristics of this thing of beauty. I do own a PZ SE5a and love that one to pieces and was wandering if she flies the same way. From much video here on youtube one can see an awful lot of nosing over. I do realise the CG's vertical line is very near the wheel axis which contributes to this dilemma but is there a way to land this lady with the minumum chances of nosing over. You guys are the best bunch of pilots to ask for advice as many of you have own one a while now.
Baron,
she is a great flyer, but the landings are tricky, but not undoible. It just takes practice to hit it perfect, and once you've got it Oh what a feeling. This bird has helped me with landing my WWII warbirds as well. Hope you enjoy
mustangloyd is offline Find More Posts by mustangloyd
Old Feb 06, 2013, 02:31 PM
Woodinville, WA USA
Joined Jul 2001
391 Posts
I have a DX6i. Are there any recommended Aileron/Rudder mix setting for this bird?
echaban is offline Find More Posts by echaban
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:10 AM
Joined Nov 2011
1,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by echaban View Post
I have a DX6i. Are there any recommended Aileron/Rudder mix setting for this bird?
Echaban- i got my alby as soon as it was available in Canada.At that time there was no recommended aileron/rudder mix.What i did was i mixed a conservative 12% RUDDER TO AILERON.That mix is still there in my dx6i for my alby and for me i love the way my alby flys.Experiment and find your mix-enjoy bud!-kevin
kevin whitesell is offline Find More Posts by kevin whitesell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: kev's new fms fw-190
Old Feb 20, 2013, 08:52 PM
United States, PA, Meadville
Joined Feb 2011
188 Posts
was ready to buy

I was doing my research on this plane in preparation to pulling the trigger when I ran across a review done by this guy Z8rc. He really hit this Alby hard, What an unhappy experience and poor rating he gave this plane. Is there anything behind his statements? Are others glossing over the real weaknesses he was so upset over? Can anyone shed some light here, this while not being my first ww1 bipe ( I have built flown and crashed many scratch builts)would be my first parkzone anything.
davovinch is offline Find More Posts by davovinch
Old Feb 20, 2013, 09:08 PM
I Fly!
Joined Jan 2011
1,372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davovinch View Post
I was doing my research on this plane in preparation to pulling the trigger when I ran across a review done by this guy Z8rc. He really hit this Alby hard, What an unhappy experience and poor rating he gave this plane. Is there anything behind his statements? Are others glossing over the real weaknesses he was so upset over? Can anyone shed some light here, this while not being my first ww1 bipe ( I have built flown and crashed many scratch builts)would be my first parkzone anything.
I don't know that review at all. The Albatros has been featured and reviewed in I think 4 RC magazines and has received outstanding marks. I used to build and fly glow planes in the 90s including several Sig Skybolts and Goldberg Ultimates. One thing I always remember with test flying biplanes is how if you had any wing misalignment you had your hands full on that first flight. When I test flew this bird it was almost perfect with only a couple of clicks of trim.

Landings are tricky only because of the narrow wheel spacing and the need to fly the plane in to land. On my first flight I did half a dozen touch and goes to get the hang of it. When I fly at our field I always get compliments on how nice she flies. You will love this bird.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 28, 2013, 03:46 AM
United States, CO, Lakewood
Joined Mar 2007
3,013 Posts
I got my flying fix in yesterday!!

Sorry, no vid.

The skis are Dubro Snowbird skis. http://hobby.dubro.com/publisher/lat...bird-Snow-Skis
ColoradoHeliNut is offline Find More Posts by ColoradoHeliNut