HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 28, 2012, 05:00 AM
United States, NJ, Pennsville
Joined Feb 2008
539 Posts
Question
What Glue For Dollar Tree Foam?

Got some Dollar Tree foam and want to know what glue to use on large areas to join together ie: KF airfoils, doubling fuselage etc. Foam safe and kicker too expensive, would titebond wood glue work ok? Is 3M spray adhesive used? Your help is appreciated. Thanks.
Steve
stemo99 is online now Find More Posts by stemo99
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 28, 2012, 06:23 AM
It's Just Foam!!!
Canton,Ga
Joined Apr 2010
948 Posts
I use 3M 77 spray adhesive for laminating DTF. Works really well, but don't hold it too close. It will eat the foam a bit if you do. I just spray a couple of light coats, then press the surfaces together tight. I'll set some books, pots, whatever on top to for 15-30 min. to make sure the whole surface bonds well. Not sure if that's necessary, but it makes me feel better!
EZglider is offline Find More Posts by EZglider
Old Sep 28, 2012, 10:39 AM
United States, NJ, Edgewater
Joined Feb 2012
201 Posts
I use gorilla wood glue for lamination without the paper. It works really well and cheap. I'm sure the titebond wood glue will be fine also.

EZglider, when you use 3M 77 is that with the paper off ? I tried it once (without paper) and it melted the foam so I never tired again. Maybe the trick is a VERY light spay.
vinnieg is offline Find More Posts by vinnieg
Old Sep 28, 2012, 10:57 AM
Joined Nov 2011
55 Posts
I use hot glue exstensively, it doesn't add alot of weight and very strong. Haven't tried anything else because of all the sucess with hot glue. I have built more than 30 planes out of $tree foamboard and crashed almost as many and the glue joints were not what failed.
miss5031 is offline Find More Posts by miss5031
Old Sep 28, 2012, 12:14 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,943 Posts
I use gorilla glue white for lamination as well as most other joints. Haven't tried yet, but Water based polyurethane varnish has been touted as a great laminating adhesive as it is less expensive then GG and doesn't foam. You will need weight to keep everything flat and aligned, though. Also, I think it cures overnight rather than in 10 minutes as does the GG. A std size (4oz?) bottle of white GG lasts me through 5 or so planes in the 30 to 35" span sizes.
springer is online now Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 28, 2012, 12:38 PM
Trapped in California
United States, CA, Arcadia
Joined Nov 2003
1,857 Posts
I too use hot glue and have never seen a failure. You just should work fast while the glue is hot.
foamflyer is offline Find More Posts by foamflyer
Old Sep 28, 2012, 03:26 PM
It's Just Foam!!!
Canton,Ga
Joined Apr 2010
948 Posts
Don't think hot glue would work to laminate larger pieces, too much surface to cover. I've used GG also, just use an old credit card as a trowel to spread it really thin and even, then weight down overnight as Springer suggested. With the 3M spray, I do a light spray to each side, then wave it once or twice to evap any excess. Tjen just press together.I havent had a problem with excessive foam damage doong it this way. BTW, that is with paper off.
EZglider is offline Find More Posts by EZglider
Old Sep 28, 2012, 03:35 PM
"Fly, yes... Land, No"
United States, CA, Santa Cruz
Joined May 2005
1,333 Posts
I use the elmers spray glue. I can get a nice big bottle of it from my local ACE for about $6-7. Ive had the 3M stuff melt the foam a little before, but I was useing an older can so it may have had a different mix in it then now. But I dont feel like spending $17 on the 3m stuff when the Elmers works great.
OutcastZeroOne is offline Find More Posts by OutcastZeroOne
Old Sep 28, 2012, 04:22 PM
Joined Sep 2012
1 Posts
Hot Glue, but can melt the foam if too hot.

White Gorilla Glue, downside is that it expands. It is a very strong bond and dries super hard which makes a bit hard to sand with the higher grit (120 +) sandpapers.

For a nice quick bond, light weight, clear and easy to work with...Fabri-Tac by Beacon. Can be found in the craft and fabric section at Wal-Mart. It bonds quickly with a pretty clean application, but note...if you use too much in a spot (big glob or puddle) it can eat at the foam. A nice, steady, reasonable bead will do no damage and offers a quick bond that is pretty strong.

I have never used it, but I have read of some using the Tite Bond glues as well.
Gulf Coast Ace is offline Find More Posts by Gulf Coast Ace
Old Sep 29, 2012, 06:19 AM
United States, NJ, Pennsville
Joined Feb 2008
539 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I will do numerous test glue ups using all of the above suggestions and I'm sure I'll use several different types on the same model depending on what I'm securing. Thanks again.
stemo99 is online now Find More Posts by stemo99
Old Sep 29, 2012, 09:23 AM
into the wild blue yonder
United States, OR, Dundee
Joined Dec 2010
660 Posts
I have found that the 3M stuff will eat the foam I use Elmers multi-purpose spray adhesive. It has worked well for me. I think hot glue is way too heavy to use in fomie builds I only use it for servos and such. I have used hot glue for hinges before and it worked good. I guess it doesn't matter as long as it flys.
Barney Boy is offline Find More Posts by Barney Boy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: X-8 and X650f
Old Sep 29, 2012, 09:46 AM
United States, OR, Hillsboro
Joined Jun 2010
486 Posts
I haven't tried DTF, but I have had success on some extruded polystyrene insulation with some 3M styrofoam/craft spray glue. Before that I tried 3M 77 but it ate away some of the foam I was test laminating. (I may have sprayed heavier than necessary, trying to get thorough coverage.)

I purchased this at a craft store:

http://www.amazon.com/3M-Styrofoam-S.../dp/B000KGAOAK

Charles
ccpdx is offline Find More Posts by ccpdx
Old Sep 29, 2012, 10:02 AM
United States, NJ, Voorhees
Joined Sep 2011
79 Posts
hot glue works great for me. i use the small cheap gun from walmart, wont burn the foam but you should peel off the surface in certain spots beacuse the glue will pull it off if moved strongly like if a lipo slams forward. hope this helps. also its easy to remove just by running the gun tip over the old glue and you can wipe it up with a straight edge
yunghov is offline Find More Posts by yunghov
Old Sep 29, 2012, 06:37 PM
Picture a worm wearing goggles
United States, CA, Roseville
Joined Feb 2012
2,026 Posts
I have used finishing epoxy with great results. Air balloons can be added to keep weight down and make it a bit lighter. The epoxy also adds some rigidity that other glues don't.
snipeworm is online now Find More Posts by snipeworm
Old Sep 29, 2012, 08:47 PM
All Thumbs
Joined Jun 2012
113 Posts
Hot Glue for Me Too.... I bought a lamp dimmer switch to regulate the glue temp, and it works great! I have one setting for pink foam that seems to legitimately "weld" the stuff together, and then I have a lighter setting for the EPS type foams.

Welds are super strong, so you dont need much. Remember, each stick of glue you use adds a stick's worth of weight.
tripn4days is offline Find More Posts by tripn4days