Old Oct 20, 2012, 02:49 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
17,761 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soma View Post
Hi Vantasstic,

Is there a consensus on when to use motor stop vs always running?

It seems always running is better for acro where one may hit low throttle during a maneuver and some power still going to the motors is beneficial.

And motor stop seems better if one is more likely to crash and not be quick enough to disarm the motors?

Also I thought I read somewhere it is good to set the motors to arm / disarm only with one (or a few) clicks of negative trim on the throttle? (ie keep the trim neutral except when arming / disarming.) This stops the motors being unintentionally disarmed during flight thus letting gravity have its wicked way!
I personally don't like the motors spinning when armed and with my throttle in full cutoff. Some like it because they know the system is armed. When disarmed the motors should never turn.

I've heard similar that some like the motors to keep spinning for aerobatics so they always have the motors spinning when armed. I have accidentally brought my throttle to low on rolls/flips and saw the motors spool down during the maneuver...never caused any problems though as I was always high enough and just bumped the throttle up. A way around this is just increase your throttle trim (after arming) until the motors are just running, fly, and reduce the trim after landing to stop the motors. I've done this before too, but now just don't worry about it.

In the end, I thinks it's just a matter of personal preference. Do it the way that feels and works right for you.
Vantasstic is online now Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 20, 2012, 03:58 PM
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Jan 2012
1,027 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soma View Post
Hi Skipper,

I think he's using the PPM sum input. If you look at the pictures of the top of his quad you can see the 3 points soldered in next to the spektrum satellite connector (on the back left arm). The pins between the frame and D7 (signal) and the two next to it (VCC & GND) need to be connected as per Nanowii manual section 2.3.2. This gives up to 8 channels down 1 servo lead.

You can see the connections clearly in this pic (View big).

Cheers
Yes, I think you're right. I've been talking or emailing with Paul in Germany and this is what he said about using a Spektrum rx;
"if you have a Spektrum satelite you can connect and use it directly (binded before over the ARxxx), in the tx the values to 125% and you should be fine."
I'm sure everything will make sense once I have the frame in my hands.
skipper1 is online now Find More Posts by skipper1
Old Oct 21, 2012, 02:49 AM
:)
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Sep 2012
3,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipper1 View Post
Yes, I think you're right. I've been talking or emailing with Paul in Germany and this is what he said about using a Spektrum rx;
"if you have a Spektrum satelite you can connect and use it directly (binded before over the ARxxx), in the tx the values to 125% and you should be fine."
I'm sure everything will make sense once I have the frame in my hands.
Hi Skipper,

I haven't done it yet but will try soon, however I think this is what needs to be done...

1. Bind the Satellite Rx (connected into a normal Rx) to a spare model memory in your radio.

2. When you solder the Nanowii to the Nanoquad make sure the 3 pins for the Satellite Rx are connected to the board. Refer to the Nanowii manual here section 2.3.3.

3. Plug the Sat Rx into the connector on the left rear arm of the Nanoquad.

4. Define the Sat Rx in the Multiwii code. Code is on the Nanoquad page.
This section of the code needs to be edited...

/********************** Spektrum Satellite Reciver *******************************/
/* The following lines apply only for Spektrum Satellite Receiver
Spektrum Satellites are 3V devices. DO NOT connect to 5V!
For MEGA boards, attach sat grey wire to RX1, pin 19. Sat black wire to ground. Sat orange wire to Mega board's 3.3V (or any other 3V to 3.3V source).
For PROMINI, attach sat grey to RX0. Attach sat black to ground. */
#define SPEKTRUM 1024
//#define SPEKTRUM 2048

I hope that's all right, anyone let me know if not and I'll edit the response.

Cheers.

edit forgot to add this thread on speky sats...
MultiWii support for Spektrum Satellites
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1504116
Soma is online now Find More Posts by Soma
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Soma; Oct 21, 2012 at 03:04 AM.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 11:04 AM
RTFM // copter damaged
Joined Aug 2009
1,723 Posts
heres a photo of the bottom where you can see the solder'balls'.

and some more from evening.

warthox is offline Find More Posts by warthox
Old Oct 22, 2012, 02:09 PM
Bedford (UK)
Joined Nov 2002
47 Posts
My Mini

Hi All

Here is my version. T. Motors were a bit pricey so I have used Turnigy ones. Turnigy 10A esc's. Had to mount the motors underneath due to the prop drivers and therefore needed to raise the frame off the ground so extended the landing gear.

What do you reakon? All up weight with 2S 450 lipo is 220g. Hovered it indoors tonight for a quick test, seems good!!

Kind opinions accepted :-)

AndyBra is offline Find More Posts by AndyBra
Old Oct 22, 2012, 03:02 PM
NanoQuad,250DFC,V120D02S-2S
Sweden
Joined Jul 2008
52 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyBra View Post
Hi All

Here is my version. T. Motors were a bit pricey so I have used Turnigy ones. Turnigy 10A esc's. Had to mount the motors underneath due to the prop drivers and therefore needed to raise the frame off the ground so extended the landing gear.

What do you reakon? All up weight with 2S 450 lipo is 220g. Hovered it indoors tonight for a quick test, seems good!!

What Turnigys did you use ?
Ceasar is offline Find More Posts by Ceasar
Old Oct 22, 2012, 05:24 PM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Sep 2012
3,131 Posts
Thanks for the pix Warthox. Shows your 'balls' clearly

I'll link the pix too in the OP.

Man that is one nice machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by warthox View Post
heres a photo of the bottom where you can see the solder'balls'.

RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Soma; Oct 22, 2012 at 08:06 PM.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 05:30 PM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Sep 2012
3,131 Posts
Hi Andy and nice build mate!

Its good to see the size of the 10A ESCs there. Are they the plush? Flashed?
I like how you've shortened the Rx lead too.

Could you update the post with a pic from the side too? So we can see the motors on the frame more clearly? What motors did you choose?

I'll link to your build in the OP as well.

Look forward to seeing it fly

Cheers.

Quote:
Hi All

RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 23, 2012, 02:42 AM
Bedford (UK)
Joined Nov 2002
47 Posts
Updates and answers

Hi

The ESC's are standard Turnigy Plush 10A 9gram.

The motors are Turnigy Park 250 2200kv.

Because of the mount and the fact that I wanted to use 3 blade props I had to modify the mount by drilling through to push to motors further up. You don't have to do this but you would need a higher undercarriage to protect them from the ground. If using a 2 blade. they can mount on top as normal as the motor has a built in prop saver mount on the other end. (I removed the long screws and replaced them with grub screws).

I will try to get some flying shots later this week!

As a matter of interest, where can I find a good explanation of PID's. Both this and my larger Nanowii quad have a slow YAW rate and despite trying a few things its still slow - any ideas?

Old Oct 23, 2012, 08:33 AM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
17,761 Posts
Quote:
Hi

The ESC's are standard Turnigy Plush 10A 9gram.

The motors are Turnigy Park 250 2200kv.

Because of the mount and the fact that I wanted to use 3 blade props I had to modify the mount by drilling through to push to motors further up. You don't have to do this but you would need a higher undercarriage to protect them from the ground. If using a 2 blade. they can mount on top as normal as the motor has a built in prop saver mount on the other end. (I removed the long screws and replaced them with grub screws).

I will try to get some flying shots later this week!

As a matter of interest, where can I find a good explanation of PID's. Both this and my larger Nanowii quad have a slow YAW rate and despite trying a few things its still slow - any ideas?

PIDs won't affect your yaw rate/speed. There's a separate box in the GUI for YAW Rate. Start this at ~.50 and test fly. Increase/Decrease as needed. There's two boxes for Pitch/Roll rates. The first is in the PID adjustment section. I usually start around 1.25 on this one. The other is Roll/Pitch RC Rate (I think). Be CAREFUL with this one. If you bump it up it can become hard to control real quick. Most of mine I leave this at 0.0 and just increase the other rate. If you bump it up, do so only ~.10 at a time.
Vantasstic is online now Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 23, 2012, 02:00 PM
Bedford (UK)
Joined Nov 2002
47 Posts
Re: yaw rate

Sorted brill
Thanks

Don't quite know how I missed that, obvious now you say it -Doh!

Andy
Old Oct 23, 2012, 02:11 PM
Joined Dec 2011
101 Posts
any issues with this and using a non spektrum receiver?
mailman35 is offline Find More Posts by mailman35
Old Oct 23, 2012, 03:00 PM
RTFM // copter damaged
Joined Aug 2009
1,723 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman35 View Post
any issues with this and using a non spektrum receiver?
i made many flights now and had no single issue with anything. i use graupner hott and the sumsignal output of the receiver.
why should there be issues while using other rx than spektrum???
warthox is offline Find More Posts by warthox
Old Oct 25, 2012, 04:35 PM
HeliAP'er!
Surrey, UK
Joined Aug 2003
8,184 Posts
Quote:
Sorted brill
Thanks

Don't quite know how I missed that, obvious now you say it -Doh!

Andy
So this is where you hang out Andy

Here's the video I took of your Nanoquad today:

Flyduino NanoQuad - 25/10/12 (1 min 45 sec)

Cheers!

David
Hogster is offline Find More Posts by Hogster
Old Oct 26, 2012, 12:39 AM
Fast? I got something 4 ya!
United States, WI, Oak Creek
Joined Oct 2007
2,347 Posts
Good video! Smooth flying. A little up and down but good
XtremeWingRC is offline Find More Posts by XtremeWingRC