SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 19, 2012, 07:14 AM
RTFM // copter damaged
Joined Aug 2009
1,726 Posts
since you are using the flyduino esc you dont have to calibrate the esc. its not even possible since the flyduino escs are especially made for multicopters.
for acc calibration the quad have to be level on the table, then press acc calib in the gui and wait some seconds. now the green led should be off when the quad is disarmed and solid on when the quad is armed. the led will blink when the quad is not near level and you wont be able to arm it.
warthox is offline Find More Posts by warthox
Last edited by warthox; Oct 19, 2012 at 07:19 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 19, 2012, 08:36 AM
:)
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Sep 2012
3,720 Posts
Thanks for the reply Warthox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warthox View Post
i cutted the pins pretty short and also used a bit more solder so the protruding pins are not sharp. theres no velcro between frame and lipo. can make a photo if you want.
Good explanation thank you, I get your meaning, no need for a photo.

Quote:
with the way i fly (mostly full throttle) i get 3min flighttime.
Here for a good time not a long time hey

Quote:
didnt tried 'normal' flying but the flighttime should be much higher. 2s450 are great for a responsive config
Good to hear. I've tried cameras on my smaller quads and didn't like the weighed down feel. Think I'm leaning towards lighter = better, just didn't want to go too far.

Quote:
i didnt balanced the props. the flyduino 5" props (2bladed) are the best i ever used.
Very good to hear.

Quote:
thanks
Most welcome.

Hi Sarrs,

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarrs4 View Post
hi soma thanks for the welcome, i tried the arming thing with the sticks but no joy.
Good to hear Warthox set you on the right track.

Great to see your pics (I'll link to them in the first post), and look forward to hearing your progress

Cheers.
Soma is offline Find More Posts by Soma
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 19, 2012, 09:00 AM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Sep 2012
3,720 Posts
Hi Skipper,

How's your plans going? The reply's a bit late but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipper1 View Post
Is there any chance you could post a few pictures of the bottom of your Flyduino nanoquad? I think I want to order.
Original post is updated with pics of the bare underside.

Quote:
Since I have the motors, batteries and AR6115e RX, I want to get the new Nano frame, 6A ESC's and NanoWii OR do I want to get the MicroWii?
Definately the Nanowii.

Quote:
The problems I see in the future is the Nano or MicroWii FC. I have no experience with them and don't know of anyone that has experience with them. Do these come from Paul ready to plug and play or what do I need to know? Are they difficult to set up?
I'm learning multiiwii myself and I think this frame will appeal to a lot of others similarly. Sarrs4 is going great with it as his first build. As the thread progresses I'll try to collect a concise startup guide and include it in the thread.

Let us know how you go
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 19, 2012, 09:48 AM
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Jan 2012
1,294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soma View Post
Hi Skipper,

I'm learning multiiwii myself and I think this frame will appeal to a lot of others similarly. Sarrs4 is going great with it as his first build. As the thread progresses I'll try to collect a concise startup guide and include it in the thread.

Let us know how you go
I love that frame, it's smaller than the original plus orientation lights so I think it'll be perfect for flying around in the apartment and down at the basketball court. Just something to sharpen the flying skills so when the weather's good, you can bring out the big toys.
I downloaded the Nanowii manual, in there for the battery it mentioned soldering in 2 resisters. I know nothing about resisters and that's the kind of stuff that scares me from the Nanowii. I'm pretty good at putting these things together, it's the tweaking of the FC. I would like to have a "put it together and go fly the thing" quad.
I guess I'll order everything this weekend, especially since there seems to be a few with Wii knowledge and are willing to help.
One of the things Paul did that I like is on the Nano, it looks like you just solder the motor wires directly onto the esc. I'm thinking there must be some double sided tape there to help keep the esc in place.
Here goes another quad adventure.
skipper1 is offline Find More Posts by skipper1
Old Oct 19, 2012, 01:19 PM
United Kingdom, England, Darlington
Joined Oct 2012
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by warthox View Post
since you are using the flyduino esc you dont have to calibrate the esc. its not even possible since the flyduino escs are especially made for multicopters.
for acc calibration the quad have to be level on the table, then press acc calib in the gui and wait some seconds. now the green led should be off when the quad is disarmed and solid on when the quad is armed. the led will blink when the quad is not near level and you wont be able to arm it.
right made sure the quad was level and did the acc calibration, i could see the lines in the gui move. but no difference still one solid red led on constant and the green pulses for a second then goes of for five seconds then repeats
any more ideas?.
sarrs4 is offline Find More Posts by sarrs4
Old Oct 19, 2012, 01:25 PM
Joined Oct 2012
7 Posts
right i just noticed when i turn my tx on the green light goes out and the red led stays on. but still no motor movment.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 01:56 PM
Joined Oct 2012
7 Posts
success! almost... i got my motors to arm but i had to trim the yaw all the way to the left, but then it would not disarm until i trimmed it all the way back over to the right if that makes sense.
also i could not throttle down the motors, full down on the stick and they were still spinning showing 1150 in the gui, and when i throttled on the motors were showing different outputs (not even) and every now and then the quad would twitch
any ideas?.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 03:31 PM
Joined Oct 2012
7 Posts
haha getting there!, i feel like a mad man talking to myself! lol.
i have set my throttle and yaw to 125% on my tx and can now arm and disarm without trimming. and now my motors seem to be outputting evenly

right next novice question... which way should my motors be turning?, in the nanowii manual it shows 6=cw,10=ccw,5-cw,9=cww. but in the gui it shows as 6=cw,10=ccw,5=ccw,9=cw. but my motors are actually doing 6=cw,10=ccw,5=cw,9=cw.
i know how i have it wired at the minute is wrong and i need to swap one of the three motor wires to reverse the direction it spins but which way should i do it? the nanowii manual way or the way it shows you in the gui?.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 05:52 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,614 Posts
Quote:
i have set my throttle and yaw to 125% on my tx and can now arm and disarm without trimming. and now my motors seem to be outputting evenly

right next novice question... which way should my motors be turning?, in the nanowii manual it shows 6=cw,10=ccw,5-cw,9=cww. but in the gui it shows as 6=cw,10=ccw,5=ccw,9=cw. but my motors are actually doing 6=cw,10=ccw,5=cw,9=cw.
i know how i have it wired at the minute is wrong and i need to swap one of the three motor wires to reverse the direction it spins but which way should i do it? the nanowii manual way or the way it shows you in the gui?.
I set up my motor rotation per the Nanowii manual.

There's a field in the config part of the sketch for 'motor stop' or something like that. Take out the "//' before that to enable the motors to stop when arm vs spinning when armed.

Your yaw trim does not sound right. Properly set up your trim and sub-trims should be centered. There's a spot in the config part of the sketch dealing with your 'center' signal. I think it's defaulted for 1500. I had one radio setup that was sending a center signal at 1600 vs 1500. I had to adjust the 'center' number in the sketch to match so it'd work properly. All set up right you should have no trim required for roll/pitch/yaw.
So how to check this? Center all your radio's trims and subtrims. Power up your board and Rx and run the GUI. Look at the GUI that shows the stick position/signals (on the r/h side of the GUI). It should show a number for each channel. With everything on your Tx centered the Pitch/Roll/Yaw signals should be about the same. The number showing is the 'center signal'. Adjust the sketch to match this and things should work better.
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 19, 2012, 08:37 PM
Joined Jan 2012
1,294 Posts
New Nano quad frame, NanoWii, 6A Flyduino ESC's and a bunch of props have been ordered.
I already have the Rx, batteries & Tiger motors. I sure hope I can get that NanoWii to work properly.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 06:28 AM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Sep 2012
3,720 Posts
Hi Sarrs,

Good news mate, glad its getting there!

As for motor direction, in the Flyduino and Warthox's pix the motors spin as follows...

Front Left & Rear Right - CW
Front Right & Rear Left - CCW

As the FC is hard wired to the ESC's through the frame, I think as long as you flip wires to make your motors go that way, the FC pins they end up on should be the right ones? I'll double check my frame later for the pin numbers.

Good luck

Quote:

RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Soma; Oct 20, 2012 at 06:37 AM.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 06:34 AM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Sep 2012
3,720 Posts
Good to hear Skipper!

This package is about as close as it gets to plug and play for a top quality quad I reckon. I just need to get my Wii on too

I'm not worried though, Sarrs will be able to help us soon with what ever troubles we may have

Quote:
New Nano quad frame, NanoWii, 6A Flyduino ESC's and a bunch of props have been ordered.
I already have the Rx, batteries & Tiger motors. I sure hope I can get that NanoWii to work properly.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 20, 2012, 06:51 AM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Sep 2012
3,720 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic View Post
There's a field in the config part of the sketch for 'motor stop' or something like that. Take out the "//' before that to enable the motors to stop when arm vs spinning when armed.
Hi Vantasstic,

Is there a consensus on when to use motor stop vs always running?

It seems always running is better for acro where one may hit low throttle during a maneuver and some power still going to the motors is beneficial.

And motor stop seems better if one is more likely to crash and not be quick enough to disarm the motors?

Also I thought I read somewhere it is good to set the motors to arm / disarm only with one (or a few) clicks of negative trim on the throttle? (ie keep the trim neutral except when arming / disarming.) This stops the motors being unintentionally disarmed during flight thus letting gravity have its wicked way!
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 20, 2012, 08:58 AM
Joined Jan 2012
1,294 Posts
I've been looking at the bottom of Warthox's Nano and I can't tell. How does the rx hook up the wii? I'm guessing the servo cables are soldered directly to the wii?
Old Oct 20, 2012, 09:22 AM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Sep 2012
3,720 Posts
Quote:
I've been looking at the bottom of Warthox's Nano and I can't tell. How does the rx hook up the wii? I'm guessing the servo cables are soldered directly to the wii?
Hi Skipper,

I think he's using the PPM sum input. If you look at the pictures of the top of his quad you can see the 3 points soldered in next to the spektrum satellite connector (on the back left arm). The pins between the frame and D7 (signal) and the two next to it (VCC & GND) need to be connected as per Nanowii manual section 2.3.2. This gives up to 8 channels down 1 servo lead.

You can see the connections clearly in this pic (View big).

Cheers
RCG Plus Member