HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 27, 2012, 04:40 PM
USA, NY, Buffalo
Joined Jul 2010
52 Posts
Build Log
my ebay Catalina.

ok i couldnt find the thread i started on my ebay find..remember i was asking about paint stripers? well i'll add the fotos to remind you...well update is i just got back outta the hospital..again ..so i thought i'd put up some more fotos of my trashed boat..i believe it to be the catalina but i could be wrong...so heres the fotos..any suggestions on how i should proceed? I also noticed that the hull is fiberglassed..they even glassed over the porholes and the side rub rail...this is gonna be a long rebuild
Dark_Star is offline Find More Posts by Dark_Star
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 27, 2012, 05:52 PM
P31
United States, WA, Spanaway
Joined Dec 2011
598 Posts
Man thats a mess, I hope the one I just got on E-bay is not that bad. It looks like it's doable. I wonder how old these people were who did this to this model we all will be watching.
Gary
P31 is offline Find More Posts by P31
Old Sep 27, 2012, 09:26 PM
USA, NY, Buffalo
Joined Jul 2010
52 Posts
hey Gary..which one did you get?..mine i think had to be owned by a teenager..who got it from grandpa and wanted to go faster...lol...i know its a lot of work..i have a set of plans and templates ..so i'm gona give it a go
Old Sep 27, 2012, 09:48 PM
P31
United States, WA, Spanaway
Joined Dec 2011
598 Posts
I got the sterling corvett that just closed yesterday. It's going to be some work, but not that much wow, you have got a job.
P31 is offline Find More Posts by P31
Last edited by P31; Sep 27, 2012 at 09:49 PM. Reason: text
Old Sep 27, 2012, 09:52 PM
FROM THE MIND OF A MADMAN
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2007
3,258 Posts
Looks like it had a water jet.
gpzy is online now Find More Posts by gpzy
Old Sep 27, 2012, 10:46 PM
USA, NY, Buffalo
Joined Jul 2010
52 Posts
i agree about the water jet...but it had to be a huge one...gas powered..way too much power for this boat..had to use bolt cutters to cut the cable control lines he had in it...tomarrow starts the salvage operation...and sanding..yay...lol
Old Sep 27, 2012, 11:09 PM
oldtribefan
Walnut Creek, CA
Joined May 2007
590 Posts
Sometimes it is easier/quicker/cheaper to start from scratch than to try to rescue something like this. There is not one part that looks like it will not need considerable work.
oldtribefan is offline Find More Posts by oldtribefan
Old Sep 27, 2012, 11:16 PM
USA, NY, Buffalo
Joined Jul 2010
52 Posts
well with the help of a good mouse sander...and heavy duty grit paper should cut some of it down...my biggest worry is the gaping hole in the bottom...if it would much easier to cut a piece of balsa to the hole...sand to match...then glass it..the transom..i'm thinking cutting away the bad and build back up and replank the transom with mahogny strips...the cabin doesnt seem too bad...just need to put some killz on the inside to get rid of the stains and paint the inside white..and rebuild the aft cabin..and i have some ideas for that
Old Sep 27, 2012, 11:17 PM
USA, NY, Buffalo
Joined Jul 2010
52 Posts
with the glassed in large piece of playwood on the bottom of the hull inside ..i guess i'm limited in making it a single screw setup
Old Sep 28, 2012, 07:06 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,672 Posts
Perhaps it can be saved...
Tim B. is offline Find More Posts by Tim B.
Last edited by Tim B.; Nov 17, 2012 at 08:07 AM. Reason: spelling
Old Sep 28, 2012, 11:29 PM
USA, NY, Buffalo
Joined Jul 2010
52 Posts
out of curiosity..does anybody make a fiberglass hull for chris crafts about 30 or so inches.. whether it be commercial or one of the members here?
Old Sep 28, 2012, 11:46 PM
Spreckels Lake, GGP, SF, CA
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,645 Posts
A few fiberglass hulls were made along similar lines back in the late 60s / early 70's here in San Francisco for 'Spreckels Cruisers,' and I'm pretty sure at least a couple were based on the Sterlings but what happened to them I have no idea. I haven't seen any in many years. My mom chucked mine while I was away at college to get some room back in the basement. Fortunately I'd pulled the Gannet powerplant before summer ended.

Someone up Sonoma way may be cranking out a grp version of the 63' Yacht hull, he brought a mostly completed prototype down to a swap meet at Spreckels last year, but I haven't heard since.
craig_c is offline Find More Posts by craig_c
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 29, 2012, 12:35 AM
USA, NY, Buffalo
Joined Jul 2010
52 Posts
thanks Craig...i keep looking and watching...was just a thought
Old Sep 29, 2012, 11:34 AM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,672 Posts
Seems like I had seen a place that may have glass CC hulls, Chuck Steffan ...

I had seen info on his products in the lobster boat posts.

Look in this site, go to CS hulls, scroll down ...

http://wimodelboats.org/CSHulls.htm
Tim B. is offline Find More Posts by Tim B.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 06:28 PM
USA, NY, Buffalo
Joined Jul 2010
52 Posts
Thanks for the lead Tim ...i'll check it out