HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Oct 07, 2012, 05:29 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
6,971 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Daddict View Post
I do, all it will take is for this thing to go out of control and kill someone while it is flying over a park or population center and we can kiss this hobby goodbye.
That's not going to happen any more than a GA crash that kills people on the ground gives cause to kiss recreational flying good-bye. Or a hunter killing somebody accidentally gives cause to kiss hunting good-bye. Or a race-car jumping the track and killing spectators gives cause to kiss racing good-bye. Any of these can happen whether or not rules are followed, participants are competent, equipment fails, etc., etc.
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 07, 2012, 05:30 PM
Promoting Model Aviation...
Murocflyer's Avatar
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
24,810 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Daddict View Post
I do, all it will take is for this thing to go out of control and kill someone while it is flying over a park or population center and we can kiss this hobby goodbye.
That is funny because that could be said about any RC flight at anytime, anywhere, ever. Should we just give it the hobby then? And I am going to guess you didn't watch the videos linked in post #1.

But, like I said, I have no desire to discuss the safety aspects of the flight. I was more interested in discussing the plane and how they could accomplish this mission.

Frank
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Who Appreciates Your Work?
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 07, 2012, 06:33 PM
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
3,938 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillM View Post
Should they succeed in this effort it would not be recognized as a record. To qualify the flight must be witnessed by an official within the FAI framework.

BM
Bill I don't think they care much about FAI records. I think it is a personal goal and if anybody wants to pay attention of give them some kind of kudos, then fine. Bur if nobody else but them cared a bit I don't think they'd mind.
Rockin Robbins is offline Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 07, 2012, 06:39 PM
Build to Fly? FLY to BUILD!
Legot's Avatar
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Nov 2009
1,104 Posts
I doubt it would even qualify for any type of record, I don't see any records in F3, F5, F5D that it would even come close to. F8 is a possibility if only because there are no records in that category.

Have a look.
http://www.fai.org/records/aeromodelling-spacemodelling
Legot is offline Find More Posts by Legot
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 08, 2012, 03:26 AM
foamie re-cycler
daddiozz's Avatar
United States, WV
Joined Nov 2004
2,053 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murocflyer View Post
I don't know what will happen. I suspect if the airplane is not repairable, game over. I mean that is the goal right? Flying across the USA in one go/trip?

I'm really surpised someone hasn't done this already by riding in the back of a pickup truck and flying their plane across the US.

Frank
My son and I discussed the possibilty using a modified RV type vehicle ,riding in the back in relatively still air ,possibly a box truck that would double as mobile work shop for charging batteries ,effecting repairs as needed etc.If such an undertaking was made though ,I'd think considerably more time than the indicated 7 days these guys have set as a goal would be needed.

Driving coast to coast obviously is doable in 7 days as I've done it in 3, several times via 18 wheeler.However for a couple guys that also want to fly an r/c plane every step of the way ,I think would be a daunting task at best.

They would have to drive at minimum 450 miles per day to cover the 3200 mile trip as planned.Frequent stops for battery swap outs ,fuel and potty breaks for the pilots ,not to mention lowered overall speed could easily make for very long days ....i'm thinking 15-18 hour days ,continously for a week? No easy task for those used to it ,much less your average joe.

What contingency plans have or would be made for inclement weather ,the inevitable traffic delays ,accidents,route detours?Someone made mention of taking off/landing at AMA club fields?GPS would certainly help locating those . What provisions have been made for night time flying?All I can say to those 2 guys is ...good luck.
daddiozz is offline Find More Posts by daddiozz
Last edited by daddiozz; Oct 08, 2012 at 05:09 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 08, 2012, 02:54 PM
Registered User
Eclipse_7's Avatar
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2003
1,486 Posts
If they work in two or three shifts, and fly 24 hours a day, they only have to average around 20 mph for the whole trip. That might be doable.
Eclipse_7 is offline Find More Posts by Eclipse_7
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 09, 2012, 06:44 AM
Registered User
phlpsfrnk's Avatar
United States, FL, Masaryktown
Joined Jun 2008
741 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legot View Post
I doubt it would even qualify for any type of record, I don't see any records in F3, F5, F5D that it would even come close to. F8 is a possibility if only because there are no records in that category.

Have a look.
http://www.fai.org/records/aeromodelling-spacemodelling
Legot,
The FAI has clearly stated that FPV equipment cannot be used for control in setting aeromodelling (category F) records. They would qualify however in the U1a category if they should choose to apply.

On the use of AMA chartered club fields, as a club officer I would not recommend it due to the fact that it is in violation of AMA 550 guidelines for FPV operations at Chartered club fields and is also a violation of AMA 540D see and avoid guidelines. Without some guidance from the AMA, knowingly violating AMA guidelines could result in the loss of a club's AMA charter.

Regards
Frank
phlpsfrnk is offline Find More Posts by phlpsfrnk
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 09, 2012, 08:22 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2012
76 Posts
I have flown planes, both sea planes and regular planes, from my brother's power boat. I'm not a fan of boats, but his is relatively inexpensive and a hoot to be on. I imagine it is just as simple to do this in a convertible! Just be aware if the plane will go forward or backward-in strong winds, the plane will be "flying" and will go forward-counter intuitive. If it's a pusher, you might get a finger cut! This happened to me, fortunately only on a PNP STRYKER C.
Eli Lipschitz is offline Find More Posts by Eli Lipschitz
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 09, 2012, 09:14 PM
Build to Fly? FLY to BUILD!
Legot's Avatar
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Nov 2009
1,104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlpsfrnk View Post
Legot,
The FAI has clearly stated that FPV equipment cannot be used for control in setting aeromodelling (category F) records. They would qualify however in the U1a category if they should choose to apply.

Regards
Frank
Interesting, I had no idea, thanks for filling me in. I think it would more than likely be classified in the U1b category (>5kg) depending on how many batteries it is capable of holding.


Eli, nothing you post makes any sense to me.
When I say no sense, I mean no sense whatsoever.
Legot is offline Find More Posts by Legot
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 04:43 AM
Registered User
phlpsfrnk's Avatar
United States, FL, Masaryktown
Joined Jun 2008
741 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legot View Post
Interesting, I had no idea, thanks for filling me in. I think it would more than likely be classified in the U1b category (>5kg) depending on how many batteries it is capable of holding.
Legot,
I would think they should be able to keep it under 11 lbs but you are right it could be U1b electric. There are a bunch of records unclaimed in both U1a and U1b.

http://www.fai.org/record-experimental-new-technologies

Regards
Frank
phlpsfrnk is offline Find More Posts by phlpsfrnk
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 12:29 PM
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
3,938 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlpsfrnk View Post
Legot,
I would think they should be able to keep it under 11 lbs but you are right it could be U1b electric. There are a bunch of records unclaimed in both U1a and U1b.

http://www.fai.org/record-experimental-new-technologies

Regards
Frank
I wonder about the obsession of qualifying for an FAI record that nobody knows about and fewer care about I don't read these two guys as glory hounds in any manner, not that there is any glory at all in FAI records.

The personal accomplishment would trump any hokey award that any self-important organization could possibly bestow. Do it, post the achievement here at RC Groups where awards of value can be granted, accept the attaboys and forecasts of doom from the people here whose acclaim is much more credible and meaningful than a French organization keeping track of arcane records nobody cares about. Heck just to ensure that nobody cares they assign meaningless numbers to the achievements. <sarcasm> Wouldn't want anybody proud of something anybody knew what it even was, would we? </sarcasm>

If you're doing something for the hokey number and award, you're not doing it for the right reason. Would you want to know that Charles Lindbergh was the first to fly the Atlantic Ocean from west to east or would you want to know he holds the A3B2* record? This is absurdly entertaining. What stupidity!

*A3B2 record is for time of a west to east transatlantic flight, single radial engine, high wing piloted by a person with the letters "c" and "l" in that order in his first name.
Rockin Robbins is offline Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Last edited by Rockin Robbins; Oct 10, 2012 at 12:37 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 05:22 AM
Registered User
phlpsfrnk's Avatar
United States, FL, Masaryktown
Joined Jun 2008
741 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
I wonder about the obsession of qualifying for an FAI record that nobody knows about and fewer care about I don't read these two guys as glory hounds in any manner, not that there is any glory at all in FAI records.

The personal accomplishment would trump any hokey award that any self-important organization could possibly bestow. Do it, post the achievement here at RC Groups where awards of value can be granted, accept the attaboys and forecasts of doom from the people here whose acclaim is much more credible and meaningful than a French organization keeping track of arcane records nobody cares about. Heck just to ensure that nobody cares they assign meaningless numbers to the achievements. <sarcasm> Wouldn't want anybody proud of something anybody knew what it even was, would we? </sarcasm>

If you're doing something for the hokey number and award, you're not doing it for the right reason. Would you want to know that Charles Lindbergh was the first to fly the Atlantic Ocean from west to east or would you want to know he holds the A3B2* record? This is absurdly entertaining. What stupidity!

*A3B2 record is for time of a west to east transatlantic flight, single radial engine, high wing piloted by a person with the letters "c" and "l" in that order in his first name.
Steve,
If I understand what you are saying you are against formal competition and you think the accomplishments of people like Maynard Hill are stupid and “hokey”. I’ve got nothing against personal accomplishments and by all means post them on the internet because we all know that if it’s posted on the internet it has to be true, no witnesses or ratification necessary just state that you went farther or higher than anyone else and people like you will believe it.

Regards
Frank
phlpsfrnk is offline Find More Posts by phlpsfrnk
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 01:50 PM
Registered User
Pat Daily's Avatar
United States, VA, Chesterfield
Joined Mar 2001
5,285 Posts
Just saw this thread--back around 1979 a group flew a gassie across the US from east to west under AMA sanctioning--I still think it is crazy--it was then and still is. People could be injured if something failed then and now.
Pat Daily is offline Find More Posts by Pat Daily
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My latest blog entry.
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 02:40 PM
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
3,938 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlpsfrnk View Post
Steve,
If I understand what you are saying you are against formal competition and you think the accomplishments of people like Maynard Hill are stupid and “hokey”. I’ve got nothing against personal accomplishments and by all means post them on the internet because we all know that if it’s posted on the internet it has to be true, no witnesses or ratification necessary just state that you went farther or higher than anyone else and people like you will believe it.

Regards
Frank
I'm happy for Mr Hill. But he would have done it with no award at stake. These guys are doing what they do for personal reasons and I doubt that they have any concern at all about any records. They simply see a very big challenge that might barely be able to accomplish and their whole sense of achievement will come from their own efforts, not an attaboy from an irrelevant organization that makes up categories for awards of various "approved" status.

If somebody tossed Trent and Nick some cash to help their efforts I'm sure they'd be grateful, but awards and ribbons are just useless things. Big achievers, like Nicola Tesla and Charles Proteus Steinmetz get none, while bully copycats and thieves like Thomas Edison are showered with the worthless trinkets. Do stuff for your own satisfaction. Let everybody else wonder what to think about it and don't sweat the valueless stuff.
Rockin Robbins is offline Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2012, 10:14 AM
Promoting Model Aviation...
Murocflyer's Avatar
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
24,810 Posts
Anyone keeping up with their progress? Have they changed their target goals?

Frank
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Who Appreciates Your Work?
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale this may b interesting to someone dr rc Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 1 Sep 22, 2012 12:24 PM
Question Is there an interest for a frame like this? tosjduenfs Multirotor Talk 13 Sep 02, 2012 05:09 PM
Discussion hmmm this is interesting steve wenban Slope 1 Apr 04, 2012 04:47 PM
Discussion An interesting case ... sad and tragic ... but interesting none the less ... logan5 Life, The Universe, and Politics 12 Mar 10, 2012 04:12 PM
now this would be an interesting park flyer project pico-what? Parkflyers 6 May 03, 2002 09:22 PM