HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 26, 2012, 01:14 PM
Joined Dec 2012
1 Posts
Hi gang!

Hey folks,

1st post and a first entry into the world of RC boating, picked up one of these Miss Geico 17's for Christmas.

Looking for advice and tips on how to start my boating hobby so Ill take a look around the rest of the board.

The Miss Geico looks great, but I've no idea how it compares with anything else. I noticed one of the posters above was 'running in' their motor and battery? Should I do this before I hit the lake? Is it ok to run the motors out of water?

Thanks folks, looking forward to reading around.

Matt
mthremborg is offline Find More Posts by mthremborg
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 26, 2012, 11:12 PM
RC Flying;Lego Contraption Guy
Smalltown, USA
Joined Sep 2010
418 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mthremborg View Post
Hey folks,

1st post and a first entry into the world of RC boating, picked up one of these Miss Geico 17's for Christmas.

Looking for advice and tips on how to start my boating hobby so Ill take a look around the rest of the board.

The Miss Geico looks great, but I've no idea how it compares with anything else. I noticed one of the posters above was 'running in' their motor and battery? Should I do this before I hit the lake? Is it ok to run the motors out of water?

Thanks folks, looking forward to reading around.

Matt
Youre on the right track. Not too fast of a boat, not too slow, and definitely not a toy boat. Its not a bad boat, but you have to cycle the battery.

I was running in my motor cause I didn't have time to go to the lake and I just wanted to see if everything was running fine. You could do the same for about 30 seconds, but no longer, cause you don't want to cause the ESC or motor to overheat.
Be sure to lubricate the shaft occasionally. It comes slightly pre-lubed, but after a few runs, you should lube it with Proboat's Marine Grease as stated in the manual to prevent water from getting in and for optimal performance.
MrLego is offline Find More Posts by MrLego
Old Dec 29, 2012, 11:43 AM
Joined Sep 2012
2 Posts
ok i am new to rc boats my brother has a traxxas spartan and i am big into planes and cars i know these little ones wont keep up with his but i have my CSWA and i want to get a little one to desighn a bigger one off of to make my own and i want this one to expieriment with now i have a few questions about these little boats are they lipo compatible and do they go the same speed or it the impulse faster although i would preffer the miss geico and i intend on making it brushless i want to start with the bewst platform i can

Thanks,
rcsquirrel17
rcsquirrel17 is offline Find More Posts by rcsquirrel17
Old Mar 03, 2013, 05:54 PM
Joined Mar 2013
4 Posts
I have a miss geico 17, which I plan on installing abrushless setup and better servo
I have been into rc vehicles for almost 20 years but, recently got into boats

I want to add aflexshaft to it
Has anyone done this? And maybe have a link? Or maybe explain the process

Thanks!
hpinitromt is online now Find More Posts by hpinitromt
Old Mar 03, 2013, 06:20 PM
RC Flying;Lego Contraption Guy
Smalltown, USA
Joined Sep 2010
418 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpinitromt View Post
I have a miss geico 17, which I plan on installing abrushless setup and better servo
I have been into rc vehicles for almost 20 years but, recently got into boats

I want to add aflexshaft to it
Has anyone done this? And maybe have a link? Or maybe explain the process

Thanks!
I have one and thought about converting it. They should be the same setup as the Proboat Mini V or Mini C.

Id suggest looking those up for their modifications.
MrLego is offline Find More Posts by MrLego
Old Mar 03, 2013, 06:45 PM
Memento Mori
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Sep 2009
2,967 Posts
A small outrunner on 3s could be a cool setup.
Diesel6401 is online now Find More Posts by Diesel6401
Old Mar 04, 2013, 02:51 PM
Joined Mar 2013
4 Posts
Thanks for quick reply!
Also, does anyone know the size of the stock propeller?
Old Mar 04, 2013, 03:07 PM
Joined Mar 2013
4 Posts
Ok, call me dumb but, I did searching and didnt find anything on the flexshaft conversion for proboat mini v or c
Anyone help out?
Old Mar 04, 2013, 04:38 PM
Vancouver, BC
Joined Aug 2009
1,966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpinitromt View Post
Ok, call me dumb but, I did searching and didnt find anything on the flexshaft conversion for proboat mini v or c
Anyone help out?
I think all you will have to do is cut the shaft tubing flush with the transom and install an adjustable shaft bracket like this: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...et_Purple.html

I really want to get the Impulse hull and put my brushless gear in it!
Firehawk989 is offline Find More Posts by Firehawk989
Old Mar 04, 2013, 04:49 PM
Joined Aug 2008
3 Posts
I have a brushless IM 17 and I am really enjoying it. I set up my IM 17 with a mini e-revo 380 brushless motor and a sea king 35amp esc. I found that this boat likes to hop/ bounce a lot when you get over about 3/4 throttle (20 ish mph) on 2s. With the straight drive shaft and lack of adjustability I thought i was out of options. I decided to purchased a pair of minimono trim tabs/turn fins and got them installed this past weekend. I took it out for a spin and it seemed to help a lot with the bouncing and actually made it turn a lot better (it sucks at turning stock). I had a cold solder joint on my traxxas plug and my run ended about 3 min. in, so i did not get to do any fine tuning (I was running very wet but had no bouncing). I would guess once I fine tune this boat, it may stand a good chance of keeping up with my minimono (speed and handling).
dmwilson09 is offline Find More Posts by dmwilson09
Old Mar 04, 2013, 05:00 PM
Joined Aug 2008
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehawk989 View Post
I think all you will have to do is cut the shaft tubing flush with the transom and install an adjustable shaft bracket like this: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...et_Purple.html

I really want to get the Impulse hull and put my brushless gear in it!
With the location of the rudder and water pickup, I am not sure much of anything will work on the back of this boat other than removing the stuffing tube and doing a mod similar to what the minimono guys are doing (link below). I think that if you put trim tabs on this boat, a drive shaft upgrade may not be needed (my $.02).

http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...rive-Shaft-DIY
dmwilson09 is offline Find More Posts by dmwilson09
Old Mar 04, 2013, 06:40 PM
Joined Mar 2013
4 Posts
Great info guys, thanks
I like wilsons idea of adding trim tabs, I rather go that route than do any mods
I really just looking to keep the front end down a little and keep it from bouncing so much
Old Apr 14, 2013, 09:10 PM
Fly it like you STOL it!
USA, VA, Spotsylvania
Joined Jan 2011
3,995 Posts
I just installed the entire brushless system on one of these for a friend, but I don't live near the lake so I don't know how it runs yet. Any of you guys have videos or at least could tell me how it does? We were just looking at it trying to make it go faster, and pretty much pulled the VXL-3m off the shelf at the hobby shop and it happened to fit so now it's 3s+VXL=?
Endlesslag is offline Find More Posts by Endlesslag
Old Apr 15, 2013, 01:30 PM
Vancouver, BC
Joined Aug 2009
1,966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endlesslag View Post
I just installed the entire brushless system on one of these for a friend, but I don't live near the lake so I don't know how it runs yet. Any of you guys have videos or at least could tell me how it does? We were just looking at it trying to make it go faster, and pretty much pulled the VXL-3m off the shelf at the hobby shop and it happened to fit so now it's 3s+VXL=?
Should be very quick! Post a vid when you get to run it!
Firehawk989 is offline Find More Posts by Firehawk989
Old Apr 15, 2013, 02:17 PM
Fly it like you STOL it!
USA, VA, Spotsylvania
Joined Jan 2011
3,995 Posts
Picture:
Endlesslag is offline Find More Posts by Endlesslag