HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 12, 2012, 09:55 AM
Joined Sep 2012
342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmerritt View Post
you used the wrong tool for the job....i used some very sharp cutters and literally snipped the ends of the tabs and then I took a small drill bit and just hand rubbed the holes to elongate them a bit.....whole process took about 5 minutes.
Sorry, my mistake, i was using Emax ES08MD Servos
addifromgermany is offline Find More Posts by addifromgermany
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:31 AM
RC Reviews & Tx Setup Guides
United States
Joined Sep 2007
3,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by addifromgermany View Post
I am using both servos, the HS5055mg and the Futaba.
Pro Futabe: fits without mods, Con: Plastic Gears, but much better then stock

Pro HS: Metal Gear Servo, survides serveral crashs withount problems (i am using them in my "stunt" master for flight moves i am not used to, sorry for my bad english ;-))
Cons HS: Much to do with a Dremel to let them fit in the frame

I like both, the easier way is to use the Futabas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Z View Post
That is good news. Can you tell if the Futaba S3114 gears are stronger than the stock Master CP gears?
If so I will order some until I can buy the HS5055mg servos.

Tom

Thanks for the information. I have added your post to the review under "Updates".

pmerritt, V999D02, and zadaw. I have also added your posts to the review under "Updates". Thanks for the information.

Tom
Tom Z is offline Find More Posts by Tom Z
Last edited by Tom Z; Oct 12, 2012 at 10:36 AM.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 04:31 PM
Sweden, Helsingborg
Joined Jun 2012
3,000 Posts
Hrm, Im really split between building a 250 myself and buying a Master Cp.

250 fbl kit 40$
Gyro+USB programmer 60$
Motor+ECS+pinions 35$
Rx 25$
Total 160$

Master cp ~140 usd
Brushless ecs/converter+motor(s) ?$ (not looked into cost as there's not much info out on brushless conversions yet)

Servos, battery's and charger omitted as it should be the same for both.

The cost will end up being Very close to each other as i without a doubt will go brushless and the Master CP will need to be replaced.

It basically boils down to

Master CP
no setup
6 axis gyro
+/- Plastic parts
New model coming in 5 months - Walkera style

Kit
Mostly carbon fiber/alu
Variable pitch tail
3 axis fbl gyro tweaking.
Fun/nightmare of building a kit yourself.
Easier to get spare parts.
Xermalk is online now Find More Posts by Xermalk
Old Oct 16, 2012, 07:24 PM
Joined Oct 2010
1,281 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xermalk View Post

250 fbl kit 40$
Gyro+USB programmer 60$
Motor+ECS+pinions 35$
Rx 25$
Total 160$

Master cp ~140 usd
Brushless ecs/converter+motor(s) ?$ (not looked into cost as there's not much info out on brushless conversions yet)

The cost will end up being Very close to each other as i without a doubt will go brushless and the Master CP will need to be replaced.

Master CP
no setup
6 axis gyro
+/- Plastic parts

Kit
Mostly carbon fiber/alu
Variable pitch tail
You're forgetting some majorly important stuff...mastercp is VERY easy to repair, will survive minor crashes and if you convert it to brushless when you outgrow it you can move everything to a 250kit. Btw, the plastic parts have been a non-issue thus far and the frame itself is very strong.

I will say this though...I have no doubts that a well setup 250kit will fly better overall. I think that is the major tradeoff. More durability and less precision with MasterCP.
pmerritt is online now Find More Posts by pmerritt
Old Oct 16, 2012, 08:26 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,295 Posts
Quote:

250 fbl kit 40$
Gyro+USB programmer 60$
Motor+ECS+pinions 35$
Rx 25$
Total 160$

Master cp ~140 usd

Master CP
no setup
6 axis gyro
+/- Plastic parts

Kit
Mostly carbon fiber/alu
Variable pitch tail
A 250 is very complicated to build and set up. There is very little compartment space for installation and margin for error. The chances are you will spend much more than $40 on the kit as you will need to replace some parts with genuine Align parts. My Trex 250 was built and set up for me by my LHS. Subsequently, I tried to build a clone and failed two times. I just couldn't get the tail to work properly.

The tail is notoriously difficult to set up in a 250. Recently, I had a crash because the belt lost tension in mid air. Although it crashed onto grass, it took me more than 8 hours to repair the damage because the construction is so complicated. If you build a 250, I would recommend that you get a genuine Align DFC combo rather than a clone. Otherwise, I would recommend that you get a 450 as your first build. The construction is similar but it is just much more easy because of its larger size. It is also much easier to fly although you should get some local help with a 450 because it can be quite dangerous.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Oct 16, 2012, 08:57 PM
RC Reviews & Tx Setup Guides
United States
Joined Sep 2007
3,492 Posts
New video to review added

Added a new video. This time I attached my HD camera to my hat.
I went too far away with the heli from the camera often and the camera is tilted.
Also the quality is nowhere as good as the other videos, see the video on the bottom for an exapmle.
This is the first time I tired anything but normal flying with the Master CP.
It flips and inverts well. After filiming as always I did better.

I am assuming the sun light is causing the big difference in videos.
Any tips on filming with a hat cam?

Tom

Walkera Master CP - First flight in a field (1 min 28 sec)

Here is the same camera on a tripod.

Walkera Master CP - First Day Flight (0 min 56 sec)

-
Tom Z is offline Find More Posts by Tom Z
Old Oct 17, 2012, 02:32 AM
Sweden, Helsingborg
Joined Jun 2012
3,000 Posts
EDIT double post from my tablet bugging out.
Last edited by Xermalk; Oct 17, 2012 at 03:49 AM.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 02:37 AM
Sweden, Helsingborg
Joined Jun 2012
3,000 Posts
Pmerritt , can the master cp gyro/rx handle a tail servo?
Old Oct 17, 2012, 10:16 AM
Joined Oct 2010
1,281 Posts
Quote:
Pmerritt , can the master cp gyro/rx handle a tail servo?
If you used a signal converter it would probably work but Walkera has receivers that are already built for that. Rx2702 would do the trick for example.
Last edited by pmerritt; Oct 17, 2012 at 10:43 AM.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 09:33 PM
Joined Jan 2012
131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmerritt View Post
You're forgetting some majorly important stuff...mastercp is VERY easy to repair, will survive minor crashes and if you convert it to brushless when you outgrow it you can move everything to a 250kit. Btw, the plastic parts have been a non-issue thus far and the frame itself is very strong.

I will say this though...I have no doubts that a well setup 250kit will fly better overall. I think that is the major tradeoff. More durability and less precision with MasterCP.
Get the master cp because like others said, it is a easy to work on design and your enjoy flying it more if your stll learning .
54885488 is offline Find More Posts by 54885488
Old Oct 19, 2012, 07:08 AM
Sweden, Helsingborg
Joined Jun 2012
3,000 Posts
So, everyone has convinced me . Im going for a Master CP.

Anyone mind helping me with what extras/batterys i should order?
Im looking at a acuccel 6 from hk as charger. The master will be orderd from terence/chinese jade.

Edit: What mild 3d flight time does one get with 850/1000/1300 mah battery's?
And is there any point to looking for pinions with more/less teeth for the stock brushed motor?

Edit 2: Also, has anyone doen the genius/mini cp servo saver on a master cp? if i can get it in the air for now with that,id be able to get quality servos instead of looking into cheapo replacment ones.
Last edited by Xermalk; Oct 19, 2012 at 12:40 PM.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 11:20 AM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
8,117 Posts
Geezz this is sounding better and better all the time. Just may have to get one. I bought Exi pro 450 carbon kit + flight pack/ extra metal gear servos/ and good battey all free shiping for about $180.00. Belt drive and X-heli has five part Vid. on the build. Kit is 95% built allready. Plan on using either T9X or maybe Walkrea Devo 7 with matching Rx. Thats for later anyway.
dankar04 is offline Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Oct 19, 2012, 06:03 PM
Joined Oct 2010
1,281 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dankar04 View Post
Geezz this is sounding better and better all the time. Just may have to get one. I bought Exi pro 450 carbon kit + flight pack/ extra metal gear servos/ and good battey all free shiping for about $180.00. Belt drive and X-heli has five part Vid. on the build. Kit is 95% built allready. Plan on using either T9X or maybe Walkrea Devo 7 with matching Rx. Thats for later anyway.
Kit may be 95% built but with a 450 and higher you typically re-threadlock everything as a first step. That truly isn't a bird to take any risks with so make sure it's done right the first time so you have little to nothing to worry about. one last thing....if you have ANY parts where a screw goes into plastic, it's worth it to find a metal equivalent part and use threadlock.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 05:42 AM
Sweden, Helsingborg
Joined Jun 2012
3,000 Posts
Well then, iv finaly joined the master cp train and orderd one.
Ended up at 260 usd for heli+spares+battery+charger and shipping.

Edit: Has anyone tweaked a model in Phoenix RC so it handles like the master cp?
Last edited by Xermalk; Oct 22, 2012 at 05:49 AM.
Old Nov 04, 2012, 06:28 PM
FPVpilots do it remotely
United States, CA, West Hollywood
Joined Jan 2008
2,820 Posts
Tom, thank you for reviewing the MasterCP, got it last week and am blown away by its friendly personality. I know nothing about flying single rotor helis and have surprisingly not managed to destroy the MasterCP yet. it is far more beginner friendly than it get credit for.

Naturally I promptly had to try attaching a camera to the thing, and stuck a ReplayXD under the CG. beautiful out of the box.
My FIRST EVER - CP Heli flight with the RelayXD - (5 min 58 sec)

Somebody mentioned how strong this thing is, it lifted the 85g replay like it was not even there. so I stuck a bigger battery under the skids as weight (no cam) the MasterCP picks up 250g without blinking. THAT did not apply to 500g - it picked it up and made it to about 6 inches, i put it down right away.. but the thing is much stronger than I would have guessed.

BTW.. looking to get to know some heli pilots in LA.

Happy Flying.

Bo
Bo Lorentzen is offline Find More Posts by Bo Lorentzen
RCG Plus Member