HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 04, 2012, 08:02 PM
hoten-x,master-cp,v120d02s,etc
Tampa,FL
Joined Dec 2003
1,152 Posts
Well, I opened up the tx's and the gimble assemblies are not the same, the pots are totally different and while it would probably work I didn't want to take the chance.

However I did manage to fix my 8s as I found that applying pressure in a certain direction to the little pcb where the elevator wires connect (picture below), I could get it to work properly in the stick monitor app. so that told me it was either a broken connection in that pcb or a short in it. I first soldered the wires directly to the connectors on the pot, leaving the pcb in place but it still wouldn't work without applying pressure to the pcb which means the pcb has a short in it...so I took the pcb out and soldered the wires back to the pot and halleluiah!...elevator works just fine now so I'm back in business...flew my ladybird with it as a test and it worked perfectly.

I think I know how that pcb got damaged too.....this tx was most likely configured as mode1 and they changed the gimbles around before shipping it since I specified mode2....where the plug is on that little pcb has no support under it so if you push the plug in it can flex the board down....whoever did the switch probably used to much force when plugging it back in and caused a short in the pcb traces. Could be wrong but thats my theory

anyway, heres a couple pics before and after...thanks for the tips, I might not have found this problem without the ideas you guys put in my head

before

after
candy76man is online now Find More Posts by candy76man
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 04, 2012, 09:40 PM
Tampa,FL
Joined Dec 2003
1,152 Posts
I am going to use a lipo in my devo8s but I am confused about something.....the stock 4 AA's will be 6 volts when fresh, but I see people selling 2s lipos for use in the devo8s which would be 8.4 volts when fully charged? is that safe for it?
Old Oct 04, 2012, 09:52 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by candy76man View Post
I am going to use a lipo in my devo8s but I am confused about something.....the stock 4 AA's will be 6 volts when fresh, but I see people selling 2s lipos for use in the devo8s which would be 8.4 volts when fully charged? is that safe for it?
It seems that some 2S lipos work and some don't. This has been a thread on it here before.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1585028
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Oct 04, 2012, 11:14 PM
Tampa,FL
Joined Dec 2003
1,152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw View Post
It seems that some 2S lipos work and some don't. This has been a thread on it here before.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1585028
thanks, fortunately my gens ace 1300mah 2s pack seems to work fine in it,
Old Oct 06, 2012, 12:56 PM
Tampa,FL
Joined Dec 2003
1,152 Posts
Got my mastercp today! so now I'm just waiting on my batteries to get here to try it out.

I plan to convert the main to brushless in the future and wonder if anyone knows if this motor(Turnigy 2627-4200kv) might work ok, It's made for a 300size heli and I have been using it on my 4f180 with great results for over a year now, but I am retiring it now that I have the mastercp (no more fp). If not what are some motor choices that do work well.
I also have a rctimer 30amp esc that is good for 3s and I'm thinking that since the MCP's brushed esc is not built into the rx on this heli I should be able to just plug that right in to the main motor throttle channel on the rx and be good to go, correct?
Last edited by candy76man; Oct 06, 2012 at 01:25 PM.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 03:26 PM
Joined Oct 2010
1,204 Posts
it won't work like that. You will need a brushed to brushless converter or a rchobbygear
Signal converter.

Quote:
Got my mastercp today! so now I'm just waiting on my batteries to get here to try it out.

I plan to convert the main to brushless in the future and wonder if anyone knows if this motor(Turnigy 2627-4200kv) might work ok, It's made for a 300size heli and I have been using it on my 4f180 with great results for over a year now, but I am retiring it now that I have the mastercp (no more fp). If not what are some motor choices that do work well.
I also have a rctimer 30amp esc that is good for 3s and I'm thinking that since the MCP's brushed esc is not built into the rx on this heli I should be able to just plug that right in to the main motor throttle channel on the rx and be good to go, correct?
pmerritt is offline Find More Posts by pmerritt
Old Oct 06, 2012, 05:05 PM
Joined Oct 2010
1,204 Posts
let me know if you have any questions about brushless setup.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 09:05 PM
Tampa,FL
Joined Dec 2003
1,152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmerritt View Post
let me know if you have any questions about brushless setup.
ok, so help me understand the wiring from the stock esc.... It has a signal wire plug which is actually a red and black wire, a tail motor wire which is just a single orange wire, and a main motor plug which is red, white, and black. I assume this odd wiring setup is why I can't just disconnect the main motor lead from the rx and plug in a brushless esc lead and have everything work right?

Any good pictures of a brushless setup that works on the mcp or a good diagram of the wiring you can point me too?

Is this the converter that works properly with it??

Also, do you think the turnigy motor I linked above would be a good fit for the mcp?
Last edited by candy76man; Oct 06, 2012 at 09:25 PM.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 11:46 PM
Joined Oct 2010
1,204 Posts
Quote:
ok, so help me understand the wiring from the stock esc.... It has a signal wire plug which is actually a red and black wire, a tail motor wire which is just a single orange wire, and a main motor plug which is red, white, and black. I assume this odd wiring setup is why I can't just disconnect the main motor lead from the rx and plug in a brushless esc lead and have everything work right?

Any good pictures of a brushless setup that works on the mcp or a good diagram of the wiring you can point me too?

Is this the converter that works properly with it??

Also, do you think the turnigy motor I linked above would be a good fit for the mcp?
Yes, that's the converter...they will actually send you the wiring diagram after you order it.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 06:32 PM
Tampa,FL
Joined Dec 2003
1,152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmerritt View Post
Yes, that's the converter...they will actually send you the wiring diagram after you order it.
Ok, the converter is on it's way....Do you see any reason my rctimer 30amp esc shouldn't work for this conversion? It has worked great in my 4f180 with the turnigy motor and the soft start feature is really nice on heli's.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 08:47 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,146 Posts
I can confirm that the Futaba S3114 is a 100% drop-in replacement with absolutely no trimming necessary. The same servo horn can be used and the servo moves in the correct direction. Not only that, the servo gears appear to be identical. I have successfully used replacement servo gears for the S3114 to repair my stripped 7-6-6 servos. For some reason, they only cost $2 over here but is usually over $6 elsewhere.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 08:52 AM
RC Reviews & Tx Setup Guides
United States
Joined Sep 2007
3,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw View Post
I can confirm that the Futaba S3114 is a 100% drop-in replacement with absolutely no trimming necessary. The same servo horn can be used and the servo moves in the correct direction. Not only that, the servo gears appear to be identical. I have successfully used replacement servo gears for the S3114 to repair my stripped 7-6-6 servos. For some reason, they only cost $2 over here but is usually over $6 elsewhere.
That is good news. Can you tell if the Futaba S3114 gears are stronger than the stock Master CP gears?
If so I will order some until I can buy the HS5055mg servos.

Tom
Tom Z is offline Find More Posts by Tom Z
Old Oct 11, 2012, 09:00 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Z View Post
That is good news. Can you tell if the Futaba S3114 gears are stronger than the stock Master CP gears?

Tom
I really don't know. I suspect my vendor is selling gears made by a third party rather than Futaba itself.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 05:52 AM
Joined Sep 2012
342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Z View Post

Tom
I am using both servos, the HS5055mg and the Futaba.
Pro Futabe: fits without mods, Con: Plastic Gears, but much better then stock

Pro HS: Metal Gear Servo, survides serveral crashs withount problems (i am using them in my "stunt" master for flight moves i am not used to, sorry for my bad english ;-))
Cons HS: Much to do with a Dremel to let them fit in the frame

I like both, the easier way is to use the Futabas
addifromgermany is offline Find More Posts by addifromgermany
Old Oct 12, 2012, 06:09 AM
Joined Oct 2010
1,204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by addifromgermany View Post
I am using both servos, the HS5055mg and the Futaba.
Pro Futabe: fits without mods, Con: Plastic Gears, but much better then stock

Pro HS: Metal Gear Servo, survides serveral crashs withount problems (i am using them in my "stunt" master for flight moves i am not used to, sorry for my bad english ;-))
Cons HS: Much to do with a Dremel to let them fit in the frame

I like both, the easier way is to use the Futabas
you used the wrong tool for the job....i used some very sharp cutters and literally snipped the ends of the tabs and then I took a small drill bit and just hand rubbed the holes to elongate them a bit.....whole process took about 5 minutes.