Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 03, 2012, 03:26 PM
hoten-x,master-cp,v120d02s,etc
Tampa,FL
Joined Dec 2003
1,124 Posts
I got my devo 8s today and I think it may have a problem.

Basicly the elevator stick seems to be dead. I have tried it on three different models now...my hotenx, ladybird and v120do2s and on the two quads they immediatly tip backwards as soon as the skids get light and on the v120do2s I disconnected the motor and bound it and all controls work but the elevator servo does not move at all when I move the ele stick up and down...however running up throttle does move the ele servo so the servo works.

Any ideas? Could I have gotten a 8s with a dead ele. stick out of the box or is there some setting I'm missing?

I'm using the ladybird and v120do2s .bin configs straight from walkeras website on it with no changes yet.

help!
candy76man is offline Find More Posts by candy76man
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 03, 2012, 04:43 PM
⤤ ⤳ ⤴ ⇲
Joined Aug 2008
1,060 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by candy76man View Post
Basicly the elevator stick seems to be dead.
Go into the channel monitoring screen, explained in section 3.13 of the manual. See what the elevator channel is doing in there.
That will show if the stick etc is all functioning or not. Then you will have a better idea of what to do next.
Avoid the temptation to open the radio, they are covered by warranty, you will see the warranty seal on one of the bottom edges. If that's intact you should be covered without any unpleasant issues, apart from having to pay shipping back to the supplier which is never pleasant.
mono is offline Find More Posts by mono
Old Oct 03, 2012, 04:44 PM
Tampa,FL
Joined Dec 2003
1,124 Posts
Quote:

Basicly the elevator stick seems to be dead. I have tried it on three different models now...my hotenx, ladybird and v120do2s and on the two quads they immediatly tip backwards as soon as the skids get light and on the v120do2s I disconnected the motor and bound it and all controls work but the elevator servo does not move at all when I move the ele stick up and down...however running up throttle does move the ele servo so the servo works.

Any ideas? Could I have gotten a 8s with a dead ele. stick out of the box or is there some setting I'm missing?

I'm using the ladybird and v120do2s .bin configs straight from walkeras website on it with no changes yet.

help!

Thanks mono, I'll check that too but I'm pretty sure I know what I'll find........I think I pretty much verified that the elevator stick is dead on my devo8s. I hooked up my 2801pro to the 8s in training mode as a slave. (which does work by the way, my old 2402 tx also connected and worked as a slave but it had no pitch control, I guess because it was designed for 4 channel fp helis?)

Anyway, the elevator works when I am controlling the heli with the slaved 2801pro's stick but it does not when I switch control back to the devo8s. I can't think of any other reason the ele stick would not be working so I guess I get to find out how oomodel and walkera deal with doa tx's now
Old Oct 03, 2012, 05:01 PM
Joined Nov 2011
769 Posts
Quote:
Thanks mono, I'll check that too but I'm pretty sure I know what I'll find........I think I pretty much verified that the elevator stick is dead on my devo8s. I hooked up my 2801pro to the 8s in training mode as a slave. (which does work by the way, my old 2402 tx also connected and worked as a slave but it had no pitch control, I guess because it was designed for 4 channel fp helis?)

Anyway, the elevator works when I am controlling the heli with the slaved 2801pro's stick but it does not when I switch control back to the devo8s. I can't think of any other reason the ele stick would not be working so I guess I get to find out how oomodel and walkera deal with doa tx's now
That's very weird.... I wouldn't think that the THR channel would work if the ELE channel wasn't working right. Is it possible that you have ELE set to INH somewhere? I don't have my TX in front of me or I'd go menu hunting.
TucsonFlyer is offline Find More Posts by TucsonFlyer
Old Oct 03, 2012, 05:10 PM
⤤ ⤳ ⤴ ⇲
Joined Aug 2008
1,060 Posts
What a disappointing introduction to a new radio, they are supposed to test these things after assembly, obviously not. Also, I don't like their arrangement of having to send something back to the supplier, Walkera should have a service facility to deal directly with the customer, like Horizon does for Spektrum.

@TucsonFlyer
The elevator pot can have a dry, bad or broken solder joint, or the 3 pin connector not seated correctly and the elev will be "dead", but the throttle will be unaffected. Besides, they are on different stick assemblies and connect to opposite sides of the mainboard. That's why the channel monitor is the definitive way to test the internal function.

@candy76man
If it's not looking fine in the monitor, stick calibration (section 1.6) may be worth a shot just to see if it does anything.
Last edited by mono; Oct 03, 2012 at 05:35 PM.
Old Oct 03, 2012, 05:35 PM
Joined Nov 2011
769 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mono View Post
What a disappointing introduction to a new radio, they are supposed to test these things after assembly, obviously not. Also, I don't like their arrangement of having to send something back to the supplier, Walkera should have a service facility to deal directly with the customer, like Horizon does for Spektrum.

@TucsonFlyer
The elevator pot can have a dry, bad or broken solder joint or the 3 pin connector not seated correctly and the elev will be dead but the throttle will be unaffected. Besides, they are on different stick assemblies and connect to opposite sides of the mainboard. That's why the channel monitor is the definitive way to test the internal function.

@candy76man
If it's not looking fine in the monitor, stick calibration may be worth a shot just to see if it does anything.
Oh wow, ok I was thinking PIT, not ELE. Please disregard my confused ramblings.
Old Oct 03, 2012, 05:54 PM
Tampa,FL
Joined Dec 2003
1,124 Posts
I tried the stick calibration but it errors everytime, probably because it's getting no signal from the ele stick.

I also checked the monitor section and ele shows no movement whatsoever.

Naturally oomodel is closed until friday for some chinese holiday so that's another two days I can add to the likely 3 to 4 weeks it will probably take to ship the old one to them and get the new one shipped back.

I just bought a mastercp that will be here in a few days too so thats four helis I won't be able to fly for a month most likely..makes me sad
Old Oct 03, 2012, 06:20 PM
RC Reviews & Tx Setup Guides
United States
Joined Sep 2007
3,492 Posts
Sounds like you have a bad pot on the joystick.
I had one go bad on me on my Devo 7. Had to get another TX.
I think my elev pot was the one that went bad.
If your monitor doesn't show stick movement for elev then your pot must be bad
or maybe there is a bad connection to the pot.
I don't know of any global setting to disable a stick direction.

Tom
Tom Z is offline Find More Posts by Tom Z
Old Oct 03, 2012, 07:43 PM
⤤ ⤳ ⤴ ⇲
Joined Aug 2008
1,060 Posts
You know, I could forgive these kind of faults in a WLToys radio (or similar), but the 8S is one of their "flagship" radios and while it may be cheaper than a JR or Futaba, it's still not cheap. Look at it this way candy76man, it's not your only radio, and it should be back before Christmas.
Old Oct 03, 2012, 11:48 PM
Tampa,FL
Joined Dec 2003
1,124 Posts
Quote:
You know, I could forgive these kind of faults in a WLToys radio (or similar), but the 8S is one of their "flagship" radios and while it may be cheaper than a JR or Futaba, it's still not cheap. Look at it this way candy76man, it's not your only radio, and it should be back before Christmas.
I couldn't wait, I just ordered a devo7e from a us ebay seller (102.00 shipped) that I should get in about five days. That way I won't be in any rush with the 8s and when I do get it back I'll most likely sell the 7e to recoupe some of my money.

When I was ordering it I noticed in the 7e's description that it supports wireless training mode with another 7e?.....does the 8s support wireless training? Is there a catch? some other stuff you have to buy to make that work or something?
Old Oct 04, 2012, 12:21 AM
⤤ ⤳ ⤴ ⇲
Joined Aug 2008
1,060 Posts
It's actually wireless data copy between two 8S (or two 7e) radios. It's just for making sure the model setup is the same on both, it's not a "wireless training/buddybox function" if that's what you were thinking.
Be interested to hear what you think of the 7e, someone mentioned the sticks felt like a toy quality radio.
Old Oct 04, 2012, 01:07 AM
Joined Nov 2011
769 Posts
Quote:
I couldn't wait, I just ordered a devo7e from a us ebay seller (102.00 shipped) that I should get in about five days. That way I won't be in any rush with the 8s and when I do get it back I'll most likely sell the 7e to recoupe some of my money.

When I was ordering it I noticed in the 7e's description that it supports wireless training mode with another 7e?.....does the 8s support wireless training? Is there a catch? some other stuff you have to buy to make that work or something?
If you have another walkera radio you may be able to scavenge the ELE pot assembly. All the mode 2 radios I have arrive with the seals broken (I assume to convert them to mode 2) Have you checked to see that the 8S is still sealed?
Old Oct 04, 2012, 04:53 AM
Sweden, Helsingborg
Joined Jun 2012
2,560 Posts
How is it with master cp and spare part comparability, can you use trex 250 parts to repair it? Obviously not for the tail assembly, but what about gears,shafts, rotors swashplate and so on.

Edit, and where should one buy it from? Banggood seems to be by far the cheapest with 121$ free shipping, but their shipping is slower then slow.
Xermalk is online now Find More Posts by Xermalk
Last edited by Xermalk; Oct 04, 2012 at 05:30 AM.
Old Oct 04, 2012, 06:21 AM
Tampa,FL
Joined Dec 2003
1,124 Posts
Quote:
It's actually wireless data copy between two 8S (or two 7e) radios. It's just for making sure the model setup is the same on both, it's not a "wireless training/buddybox function" if that's what you were thinking.
Be interested to hear what you think of the 7e, someone mentioned the sticks felt like a toy quality radio.
oh...I knew it was to good to be true....I've seen a few how too's on doing wireless buddyboxing and they were very complicated looking....very misleading description on Walkeras part at any rate, this is the quote in every product description for it "5.Wireless data transmission between two DEVO 7E helps experience the training function" Talk about using the language barrier to your advantage

I hope the sticks don't feel too bad but it's just to keep me flying till the 8s gets back to me so as long as it works.
Old Oct 04, 2012, 06:31 AM
Tampa,FL
Joined Dec 2003
1,124 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TucsonFlyer View Post
If you have another walkera radio you may be able to scavenge the ELE pot assembly. All the mode 2 radios I have arrive with the seals broken (I assume to convert them to mode 2) Have you checked to see that the 8S is still sealed?

well I have several of the cheaper walkera radios wk-2402, 2602 and just on the outside that I can see the the gimble assembly looks identical so maybe I could just swap out the whole assembly? Do you think the guts of a 2402 gimble will be any different than whats in the devo8s?

I also have a 2801pro but I would prefer not to cannibalize that one as I plan to use that as a slave radio.

I may open them up when I get home today, I can get into the 8s without messing up the little seal sticker so if it doesn't work I can still send it back to oomodel after I get it all back together.

thanks for the idea