Old Sep 27, 2012, 08:14 AM
RC Reviews & Tx Setup Guides
United States
Joined Sep 2007
3,492 Posts
Mini-Review
Walkera Master CP Review - Pictures, Videos, Flight Time, and Head Speed

Tom Z is offline Find More Posts by Tom Z
Last edited by Tom Z; Jul 17, 2013 at 10:25 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 27, 2012, 12:58 PM
RC Helis: My Healthy Obsession
The OC, California
Joined Feb 2007
3,159 Posts
Nice job Tom. I have a feeling you are going to love flying this heli once you have a chance to take her to a park and really air it out.
dkfuji is offline Find More Posts by dkfuji
Old Sep 28, 2012, 06:43 AM
Tuguegarao City Philippines
Joined Sep 2012
375 Posts
on what cases do servo stripping occur? after reading your cons on this heli, it made me think again if im going to buy one.
xtian3188 is offline Find More Posts by xtian3188
Old Sep 28, 2012, 07:08 AM
Suspended Account
Mali, Tombouctou, Timbuktu
Joined Aug 2012
391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtian3188 View Post
on what cases do servo stripping occur? after reading your cons on this heli, it made me think again if im going to buy one.
Servos have been known to be stripped straight from the box.
Plastic swash, too, quality!

I have a V400 which shares a few of the same parts, and by the time it was upgraded with metal gear servos and brushless stuff I could've just bought something decent like a Gaui x2 or even a Trex 250 off the bat.

This just stinks of Walkera crap like most other things they churn out.
V999D02 is offline Find More Posts by V999D02
Last edited by V999D02; Sep 28, 2012 at 07:19 AM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 28, 2012, 07:20 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,260 Posts
I have stripped one servo just by examining it by hand. 4 other servos were discovered to have stripped on routine checking, even though the heli was flying normally. Although I had a few crashes onto tall grass, there was no damage to the rest of the heli. At least one incidence of stripping was not associated with any prior crashes. My worry is that just doing mild 3D is enough to strip a servo. Replacement servo gears were available on HobbyOne at one stage but has since been delisted.

What we really need is a list of compatible servos. This would be the ideal thread to do so. Besides having the correct dimensions, the servos should move in the same direction as the stock servos. We would also like to know how much if any cutting or filing is required to fit them.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Sep 28, 2012, 07:25 AM
United States
Joined Sep 2007
3,492 Posts
Servos are stripping in a crash which can happen with any helicopter even
with metal gears but these seem to strip too easy from the posts I have read
from different people. Also the servos have been stripping just by moving them by hand.

This sounds like there is a problem with the servo gears.
"HobbyOne has sold out nearly 100 replacement servo gears within two days".

When doing my reviews I report everything I know good or bad.
I keep the reviews updated on any problems or issues.

The Mini CP had big problems with the servos stripping very easy.
I followed this closely in my Mini CP review. Walkera improved the
servos a few times by making them stronger. Different color sharpie
marks are on the the servo end plugs. This identifies the servo gear improvements.
Think of it as V2, V3, V4 of the servo.
I think Walkera will do this for the Master CP also.

Here are a few posts on the servo issues.
I am not telling people to not buy the Master CP because of this.
I am just reporting what I have read about them.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...6#post22665977

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=380

http://helifreak.com/showpost.php?p=...1&postcount=16

Tom
Old Sep 28, 2012, 07:29 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,260 Posts
Here is another post on this, just want to make sure that it is not only me reporting this issue. Anyway, the problem with these servos is well known with users of the 4F200 and V200D03.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=438

I have the Mini CP and I have stripped servos only 3 times in 249 flights despite much harder flying and crashes. In contrast, I have stripped servos 6 times in 23 flights with the Master CP.
Last edited by zadaw; Sep 28, 2012 at 09:38 AM.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 07:31 AM
United States
Joined Sep 2007
3,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw View Post
I have stripped one servo just by examining it by hand. 4 other servos were discovered to have stripped on routine checking, even though the heli was flying normally. Although I had a few crashes onto tall grass, there was no damage to the rest of the heli. At least one incidence of stripping was not associated with any prior crashes. My worry is that just doing mild 3D is enough to strip a servo. Replacement servo gears were available on HobbyOne at one stage but has since been delisted.

What we really need is a list of compatible servos. This would be the ideal thread to do so. Besides having the correct dimensions, the servos should move in the same direction as the stock servos. We would also like to know how much if any cutting or filing is required to fit them.

If you post a list of compatible servos in this thread I will add it to the review.
This way it will be easy to find and won't get buried in pages of posts.

I will also keep the review updated on this servo issue.

Tom
Old Sep 28, 2012, 07:37 AM
United States
Joined Sep 2007
3,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkfuji View Post
Nice job Tom. I have a feeling you are going to love flying this heli once you have a chance to take her to a park and really air it out.
Thanks Darryl.
I am looking forward to taking it out in the field and see what it can do including flips, rolls, loops, and inverting.

Tom
Old Sep 28, 2012, 07:42 AM
Suspended Account
Mali, Tombouctou, Timbuktu
Joined Aug 2012
391 Posts
Tom;
The Hitec hs5055 metal geared servos are a great replacement.
They are a direct replacement, require no RX reversal, and take crashes well.
I've had some serious hits with my V400 and they have held up just fine.
Provided Walkera haven't change the construction of the 7.6-6 servo the Hitec's are great and just require a tiny, test tiny bit of reaming to the mounting holes.
I used twisted wire to mount mine, so didn't need to modify them in any way.
V999D02 is offline Find More Posts by V999D02
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 28, 2012, 08:04 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Z View Post
If you post a list of compatible servos in this thread I will add it to the review.
This way it will be easy to find and won't get buried in pages of posts.

I will also keep the review updated on this servo issue.

Tom
Tom, this is what I have come up with reading through the thread. But it seems only the HS5055 has been put up successfully on the Master CP. We need members to report successful installations as they come along.

Hitec HS-55
Hitec 5055

Henge 922MG

Futaba s3114 - 100% direct drop in replacement. Even the servo gears appear to be the same.
Futaba s3154
Futaba s3157

eMax ES08MD

Esky Servos

Hobby King

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...11s_1_5kg.html
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=10965
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=23485
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...g_0_17sec.html

Aliexpress

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Regis...647448647.html
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Tigei...504989882.html
Last edited by zadaw; Oct 11, 2012 at 08:44 AM.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 08:23 AM
United States
Joined Sep 2007
3,492 Posts
Thanks guys for the information.
The Hitec hs5055 metal geared servos sound good.

Tom
Old Sep 28, 2012, 09:56 AM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
7,754 Posts
I was going to get a Master 200 C/P until the servo issue. Futaba 3114's are $15.00/ Hi-Tech 5055's are $18.00 each. This was made for flyer moving on up to 6ch and this sounds like a deal breaker with faulty sevos. Hope Walkrea improves servos.
dankar04 is online now Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Sep 28, 2012, 10:01 AM
Joined Oct 2010
1,261 Posts
note: the servos DO have to be reversed with the MasterCP but it's an easy affair with the 20.00 hitec programmer. Also, the other great thing about the programmer is you can set your travel and centering exactly like you want. I have a perfect 90 on every servo. Well worth the upgrade.....Tom, if you haven't seen the thread. I have already converted the MasterCP to brushless. I still have yet to get to a nice field to open it up though.....hoping to do so this weekend.
pmerritt is offline Find More Posts by pmerritt
Old Sep 28, 2012, 10:07 AM
Joined Oct 2010
1,261 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dankar04 View Post
I was going to get a Master 200 C/P until the servo issue. Futaba 3114's are $15.00/ Hi-Tech 5055's are $18.00 each. This was made for flyer moving on up to 6ch and this sounds like a deal breaker with faulty sevos. Hope Walkrea improves servos.
you can get the hitec's from tower hobbies for 50.00 for all three. also, the main reason I picked this model up is because I get tired of fixing. Look at how easy this thing is to repair. The servos are pretty much the only weak link. The tail motor is stupidly easy to replace and the brushed main should last awhile longer it did than when it was in the v400's because it's spinning a lot less mass.
pmerritt is offline Find More Posts by pmerritt