HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 23, 2012, 09:33 AM
Build it again, Sam!
Germany
Joined Oct 2004
4,091 Posts
Have seen it printing and decided : before I will get this one, I will do the pöarts the routing way

Creating objects is ok, as long as fittings would not matter... but surface as appearance are not sufficient for my requirements!!!

Hansjoerg
Harpye is offline Find More Posts by Harpye
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 29, 2012, 06:42 AM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,050 Posts
General purpose complaint!

I've been looking at software packages and they ALL have tons of useless stuff in them.

They were designed for animation or architecture or drafting and are full of features I don't need for 3D printing. Most have a means of coloring or painting the object, adding texture or enabling a walk through or calculating volume and a thousand etc's of stuff not needed to model something for printing.

The simpler ones don't have Bézier curves, which I really need. For all the packages I've looked at it seems I've got a hundred things to learn that I will never use for every capability I actually need.

It's almost like I'd be better off trying to program my 3D software from the ground up.

Yeah, I know that's the long way around, but I really hope someone does something like that one of these days.

Looking at Blender I think if I ever got around to learning it, it would be a wise thing to get the open source files and strip away all the stuff that doesn't apply to modeling a shape and generating a 3D printable file and making something called Basic B.

I'm sitting here with my iPad USB'd to my computer so I can read the doc as I dig through some software on my computer. Their idea of a model to work from is stuff like the Sistine Chapel. Fully finished models that you can play with and light in various ways or walk through or pose or even animate. I don't need no stinkin' time line!

Okay, rant over, but it really is time for a 3D print application.

Pete the grumbler
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
Old Dec 30, 2012, 08:19 AM
Build it again, Sam!
Germany
Joined Oct 2004
4,091 Posts
Try to get SharpConstruct or similar software It is like modelling clay ... nothing technical but very intuitiv and good for organic objects like skulls or faces..

Little bit like Z Brush or Mudbox - but its free.....
Harpye is offline Find More Posts by Harpye
Old Dec 30, 2012, 01:09 PM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,050 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpye View Post
Try to get SharpConstruct or similar software It is like modelling clay ... nothing technical but very intuitiv and good for organic objects like skulls or faces..

Little bit like Z Brush or Mudbox - but its free.....
I've got a couple of programs like that.

The problem is I am trying to do exact shapes. Right now, boat hulls with a wall thickness and whatever internal structure I need for electronics and the mechanics of the boat. I hope to try a scale sailplane one of these days and have it made by Shapeways.

Also neither of the programs I have can export a file that my printer can use.

The technical modeling software can do this stuff, but they all do way to many other things. I'm working with two packages right now and neither satisfies my needs, one is way too complicated and the other is an economy version of something that does most of what I need but not all. Both can do things like animation and many other things that I really don't need.

Thanks.

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug