HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 15, 2012, 07:31 PM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,061 Posts
Sideburns,

I bookmarked your app. My flying buddy still has a pristine Apple II which has my original floppy drive on it. That was one of the first floppy's in NYC which I got because I was in Computer Mart daily, asking and the next guy on the list didn't show or call back after five days. I think they sold it to me to get rid of me!

That was Stan Veit's store. He later became the editor of Computer Shopper. When he retired they made him Editor Emeritus. I asked him what that meant and he said he was still on the masthead and they paid him not to work for anyone else!

My big problem right now is the Makerbot software that preps files for printing uses three file types and NOTHING that I've downloaded saves in those formats.

I think I'll take a ride down to the Makerbot store once I get set up, to ask for advice.

Programming is one of the most addicting pastimes I know. Sometimes I look at things I wrote and it takes me a half an hour just to understand them. How did my head get so far from home? Wrote some variants on gravitational clusters including launching a cluster equal in mass to the Earth into orbit around the sun and watching a ring system form. Way more interesting that it sounds since things get ejected from clusters. (Slingshot effect, when an object makes a close pass to a couple or more objects and picks up cluster escape velocity. What's interesting is that it never picks up Solar escape velocity so it will cross the ring system at the point it exited, interacting with whatever is there. That's how ring systems eventually get homogenized.

Ran the sim for months, day and night to gather about a year and a quarter of ring development time. I had a video of it for many years but it's gone now, vanished down the tunnel of time.

That cluster would probably run in real time on today's Macs.

I like the invader pieces. Maybe I'll make some in white for my friend's daughter. She grew up on my Apple II and played Invaders for days at a time. I think my friend got his Apple just so he could see his daughter once in a while. She's in her thirties now and I'm an old fart.

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
Last edited by PeteSchug; Oct 15, 2012 at 07:39 PM. Reason: iPad spell correction, which changes words when you are not looking.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2012, 11:03 PM
Pilot, Co-pilot, Navagator
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,781 Posts
pete, you remind me of those people you see in the movies making great things no one has done out of nothing.
nemoskull is offline Find More Posts by nemoskull
Old Oct 16, 2012, 06:46 AM
Joined Apr 2004
7,061 Posts
Thanks Nemo,

For the time being I seem to be making nothing out of something that other people use without a problem.

The Space Invader pieces are something Sideburns uploaded to Thingiverse. I think my friend's daughter would recognize them instantly even though she was a little kid when she played invader.

I should have my Makerbot installed and tested by this evening. I've got things to do for the next two days but by Friday I'm totally free to do what I want.

I guess Thingiverse was named by a Joss Whedon fan. (Avengers, Cabin in the Woods, Dollhouse, Angel, Buffy, Firefly and who knows what else)

Pete
Old Oct 16, 2012, 11:07 AM
Joined Apr 2004
7,061 Posts
Wow, the world of 3-D is moving fast and interesting.

http://boingboing.net/2012/10/15/coo...Boing+Boing%29

This looks like an industrial product rather than a home/hobbyist level device, but the idea is now out and it's only a matter of time before stuff like this reaches our level. I will check prices but I think these guys have industry in mind.

Pete
Old Oct 16, 2012, 07:13 PM
Breaker of Things
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Dec 2011
280 Posts
For anyone wanting to know about the original Makerbot Replicator, I've had one for a couple of weeks now. Would be more than happy to answer questions and/or provide tips.

Despite being a pretty amazing machine, I'll admit that the learning curve has been a bit steep. For the tech savvy, it's manageable, but even then there's a lot to learn.

What's been useful for me is understanding a few things:

There are lots of ways to slice models up into layers. I'm still learning by trial and error. Keeping a lot of notes about settings used is crucial.

Some details on models are easy. Some are very difficult. It's hard to know right away without some trial and error. For example, I can get away with vertical layers as thin as 50 micros (0.05mm). The best I can reliably do with walls is maybe 0.3mm. Throw into the mix how objects are filled and that thickness increases (though, to be fair, you don't want a "solid" object with 0.3mm thick walls).

Perfection is the enemy of "good enough". I could probably pursue "perfert" calibration forever. Would I love an ABS part that looks like it popped out of the Lego factory molds? Absolutely. Am I ever gonna get it with extrusion printing? Never (which I had a hard time writing because deep down I want to say "maybe").

Regarding the cost of plastic filament and waste: my printer says I've printed a mile and half of filament. The majority of that filament has gone into prints that didn't work out. That will probably happen less as I get better at using the machine. That said the total cost (which I'm able to accurately measure using software) for all that plastic has been about $4.00. I started with about 3kg of plastic and I've barely made a dent.

As soon as I have some time I can take some photos of some of the stuff I've been making. On the list include balsa wood cutting tools (think balsa strippers, miter cutting tools) and various other plane building jigs. I've made a lot of custom Lego minifig weapons and parts for the kids. I also have 3D model files for every part of a Team Associated SC10 - I've been thinking of adapting and shrinking it to work with Team Losi's Micro-T gear boxes, dog bone, and tires, ending up with a 1/36th scale SC10. That'd truly push the limits of this printer, but I could get away with printing the entire chassis, shock towers, and front bulk head as a single unit to make it a bit easier.

Also on the list: printing parts for another 3D printer that a buddy of mine is building. Would that make me the grand father?
elbowdonkey is offline Find More Posts by elbowdonkey
Old Oct 16, 2012, 07:28 PM
Breaker of Things
Joined Dec 2011
280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteSchug View Post
Since I want to use ABS I will have to upgrade it myself but I don't want to give up size so I have to wait for their heated build plate.
Any compelling reason you want to use ABS?

I'm getting much better prints on my Replicator with PLA than I am with ABS. It's not as flexible as ABS, but it's definitely strong.

Another nice thing about PLA is that the fumes are far less bothersome (and toxic). I started with ABS and had to move the printer to the garage because the ABS fumes were so bad. Now that I have PLA, it's back in my office (printing next to me as I type this). It smells very faintly of waffles or maple syrup, but just barely.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 07:38 PM
Breaker of Things
Joined Dec 2011
280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemoskull View Post
Sketch works best at one thousand percent. Make a one meter part then scale it to one percent. Does not like small sizes
Try the intersect faces tool. Should help with cylinders. It makes everything one part instead of a collection of part touching eAchother. YouTube has some good tutorials on sketchup.
I've been using Sketchup at "unscaled" sizes without issue. The trick is to adjust its units to allow for greater resolution. In the Model Info window you set the Unit to Decimal format, Millimeters, and precision to something like 0.0000mm.

After setting the units in a blank document, I save it as a template and use it as my default template.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 12:08 AM
Joined Apr 2004
7,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elbowdonkey View Post
Any compelling reason you want to use ABS?

I'm getting much better prints on my Replicator with PLA than I am with ABS. It's not as flexible as ABS, but it's definitely strong.

Another nice thing about PLA is that the fumes are far less bothersome (and toxic). I started with ABS and had to move the printer to the garage because the ABS fumes were so bad. Now that I have PLA, it's back in my office (printing next to me as I type this). It smells very faintly of waffles or maple syrup, but just barely.
I was under the impression that ABS is a lot stronger since many of the things they sell (the cube and the heart, each made of interlocking gears, for example) are ABS maybe for strength or maybe for flexibility needed at the point where the pieces lock together.

Personally I'm interested in making small sailboat hulls and being able to make incremental changes in the design trying for good sailing qualities. With tiny three axis gyros, accelerometers and magnetometers as well as GPS it's possible to design a robotic boat in a very small package. It would be interesting just to get something that can sail out to a way point and back unassisted but if I can't accomplish that it would still be fun to sail RC.

Naturally I plan to make airplane parts but another interest is making flutes and other wind instruments. I've played early music and currently play Irish music and I'd love to make flutes, penny whistles and recorders. Most interesting would be finding someone who can do a cat scan of historic instruments like a Bressan alto and duplicating it complete with similar bore and undercut tone holes.

All this said, I will feel lucky if I make anything worthwhile in the first six months.

Pete
Old Oct 17, 2012, 02:13 AM
Ego varius quis.
Wisconsin
Joined Nov 2003
1,930 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteSchug View Post
I was under the impression that ABS is a lot stronger since many of the things they sell (the cube and the heart, each made of interlocking gears, for example) are ABS maybe for strength or maybe for flexibility needed at the point where the pieces lock together.
It is. PLA is suitable only for things you might want to bend to avoid fracturing, such as perhaps landing gear mounts. ABS is much stronger.
Cheesehead is online now Find More Posts by Cheesehead
Old Oct 17, 2012, 08:01 PM
Joined Apr 2004
7,061 Posts
The price of the very nifty 3-D scanner I posted a link to a while back is a mere $29,900 bucks.

Anyone want to go partners?

Hmm... I thought so.

Don't worry, by next year this time Hobby King will have a better one!

Edit: Whoops, the price is only $24,900! The $29,900 price includes a service contract.

I guess I will stick with 123D Catch for now

Pete
Last edited by PeteSchug; Oct 18, 2012 at 07:18 AM.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 12:33 PM
Breaker of Things
Joined Dec 2011
280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesehead View Post
It is. PLA is suitable only for things you might want to bend to avoid fracturing, such as perhaps landing gear mounts. ABS is much stronger.
The word "stronger" is a bit tricky.

ABS is more flexible, which means for some things (like landing gear mounts) it might be considered stronger.

PLA is more brittle than ABS. Probably not good for a landing gear mounts, but I've printed a replacement rear A arm for my RC10T4.1 and it's as strong as the carbon fiber/composite plastic of the stock part. I tested this by placing the stock and the PLA arms across a gap of two bricks, then progressively adding weight to the center (a bit of a balancing act). Eventually, with 30 lbs on them, I decided that was probably enough to call it a tie.

That said, PLA is kinda weird. You have to drill it very slowly, otherwise the hole you're drilling just gets sort of mushy from the heat. It doesn't sand well and it doesn't seem to bond with CA at all. I

Personally, I much prefer the printing accuracy and low fumes of PLA. I'll still use ABS, but probably not until I run out of PLA.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 04:36 PM
Joined Apr 2004
7,061 Posts
Success

Printed chain from MakerWare. Couldn't use SD card since umbelical would hit shelf so positioned chain near right edge of build table where thing were safer.

Pete
Old Oct 19, 2012, 11:56 PM
Breaker of Things
Joined Dec 2011
280 Posts
Here's my first attempt at printing a part for the SC10. I'm actually surprised it turned out as well as it did since I printed this one fairly quickly. Took less than an hour total.

This one is PLA without about 10% infill and 3 perimeter shells. With that size of the part, and the 3 shells, are hardly hollow like the 10% would suggest.

The next print will be done in ABS and 100% solid. I'll also reduce the speed a bit to give it a bit of a cleaner finish.

Old Oct 20, 2012, 02:53 AM
Joined Apr 2004
7,061 Posts
Nice, my chain was a bit rough. I guess I have something to learn before I get clean results.

Moving towards being on topic, here is an interesting project. With eleven inches to work in it starts to look possible to make a small RC glider out of parts.

Here's a free flight model from Thingiverse. There are several others. Also, some guys in England just flew a pretty serious looking RC plane but it was probably printed on commercial gear.

Pete
Old Oct 20, 2012, 08:59 AM
I fly with my little eye
Lancashire, England
Joined Jul 2005
1,835 Posts
This the one you mean?

https://www.soton.ac.uk/mediacentre/...ul/11_75.shtml

Inspiring thread by the way guys, watching with interest. (and sitting on my wallet for now)
Swanlander is offline Find More Posts by Swanlander