Old Sep 27, 2012, 05:10 AM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,017 Posts
Discussion
Way OT. saw the new Makerbot

Okay, I'm hooked.

Seriously gotta learn 3D software.

Makerbot has a storefront in manhattan and I decided to go for a look. Now I'm hooked. The idea of sitting at home and churning out parts for projects without having to wait really has my head spinning. The work volume is 11.2 by 6 by 6.1 inches which is pretty big.

Hangups for me include learning REAL 3D software. Forget Shapeup, I don't want to be limited to arcs. I need free form curves. The other hangup is that I will also need to learn the Makerbot software.

Learning to do 3D scans would be nice too. Can be done with just a camera and on line software if I'm just interested in the exterior.

Some of their models were pretty light, with honeycomb interiors.

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some Books About Flying
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 27, 2012, 05:35 AM
Wanton construction
Stockholm Sweden
Joined Sep 2006
954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteSchug View Post
Okay, I'm hooked.

Seriously gotta learn 3D software.

Makerbot has a storefront in manhattan and I decided to go for a look. Now I'm hooked. The idea of sitting at home and churning out parts for projects without having to wait really has my head spinning. The work volume is 11.2 by 6 by 6.1 inches which is pretty big.

Hangups for me include learning REAL 3D software. Forget Shapeup, I don't want to be limited to arcs. I need free form curves. The other hangup is that I will also need to learn the Makerbot software.

Learning to do 3D scans would be nice too. Can be done with just a camera and on line software if I'm just interested in the exterior.

Some of their models were pretty light, with honeycomb interiors.

Pete
Link?
Pouncer is offline Find More Posts by Pouncer
Old Sep 27, 2012, 07:08 AM
Joined Apr 2004
7,017 Posts
Try this:

http://techcrunch.com/2012/09/19/mak...e-3d-printing/

Edit: Wired has an article about it this month. In fact, I ought to pick up a copy.

They printed some stuff while I was there. When you consider each layer is about the thickness of a human hair it wasn't all that slow building up the layers. On the other hand, if you wanted to make something complex that filled the cubic space available it would probably take all day.

They had some very interesting things for sale there, like an 800 to 1 ratio gear box made out of a series of planetary gears. Not a practical device, but an interesting demo. A heart made out of gears that twists out of shape in three dee and a cube of similar design.

You can also download files and print interesting things.

There is also a guy building a giant "printer" that will print houses using cement instead of plastic.

Pete
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by PeteSchug; Sep 27, 2012 at 07:22 AM.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 12:52 PM
Aurora Municipal, Illinois, United States
Joined Jul 2002
1,549 Posts
I looked into one of these things for 3d printing some small scale pilots and other details we would like for our stuff. They also have a web site with a lot of files for tools, jigs and all kinds of other goodies you can download. Aside from the learning curve the only other gotcha I saw with this system is the cost of the plastic wire to make the parts. A couple of guys in their forums are working on project to make your own but I think it's still a ways off. Larger projects or one with many parts can get pretty expensive.
bullseye000 is offline Find More Posts by bullseye000
Old Sep 27, 2012, 02:19 PM
Joined Apr 2004
7,017 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullseye000 View Post
I looked into one of these things for 3d printing some small scale pilots and other details we would like for our stuff. They also have a web site with a lot of files for tools, jigs and all kinds of other goodies you can download. Aside from the learning curve the only other gotcha I saw with this system is the cost of the plastic wire to make the parts. A couple of guys in their forums are working on project to make your own but I think it's still a ways off. Larger projects or one with many parts can get pretty expensive.
No gotcha. It's $36 for a KILO of feedstock. There is no waste. You can make the shell at thin as you like and fill the internal space with a honeycomb. Some of the finished items I picked up were very light. I don't think you will be making many one kilo pilots. More like ten grams or less or even way less.

I can imagine someone buying a couple of hundred bucks worth to get started with and still having most of it a year later.

Pete
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 27, 2012, 07:30 PM
Pilot, Co-pilot, Navagator
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,749 Posts
the PLA is twice as much, but most people like it cuz it dont stink like ABS. ABS stinks somthin fierce.
personally, ive been wanting a desk top 3d printer, and ive been working on a 3 axis CNC mill, but for now i stick to sketchup and shapeways.com not very fast, but easy.

and its more than just plastic... get a low temp plastic, say 150f working temp, then print it out. if you design right, with thin walls, say 0.8mm you could use this as a cast... like lost foam casting, but using lost plastic. with some drywall and some molten aluminim.
no forge needed, either. get a silicon carbide crucible, #3 should fit in a regual microwave oven. 1000C is doable, i hear. your limited by how many ovens you have tho.
a #3 cruciable will hold roughly 170cc of stuff. and the microwave draws about 1000W, so your wife hair dryer draws more.

the great thing about 3d printing, is you can oversize. design it at 1:1, and then scale it up to 102%, and it should allow for a 2% shrinkage of the metal.

im wanting to case a TBI unit for a chevy sprint (carburated geo metro). after that, im hoping to cast a MPFI intake.

but for now, back to my shop, i just got my arduino, im going to use it as a Gcode CNC driver, well the software side of it, anyways. GRBL.

oops, im rambling again. its almost like talking to my self. i do both waaaay too much

there was a thread a while back about an entire printed airplane. looked about the parkflyer scale. shapeways can print some very light plastic at 0.7mm wall, i wonder if you could print a stick and tissue style plane and jsut cover it with tissue, or even just the ribs, and use CF for spars. not the lightest, but very stong, as the ribs and spars would bend alot...
nemoskull is offline Find More Posts by nemoskull
Old Sep 27, 2012, 09:08 PM
Joined Apr 2004
7,017 Posts
Hi Nemo,

I've been wondering if they'll ever have a foam plastic that can be printed.

The honeycomb stuff I looked at was light, but I don't think you'd want wings made of it. On the other hand if there was some way to make foam feedstock that would stay foamy while being printed we could make some very light structures.

Lost plastic sounds interesting. Good way to go for casting jewelry. Not what I want to do but years ago I did spend an afternoon watching a friend's relatives run a little jewelry forge at home. Everything from casting wax in rubber molds to sticking trees of wax parts into plater molds and casting in gold and silver. Was especially interesting at the time since I was getting interested in Celtic art and considering things like belt buckles and stuff for my SCA friends.

Pete
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 28, 2012, 07:16 AM
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,749 Posts
im not sure foam will be happening anytime soon. foam is basicilly a bubble with gas traped inside.
tho for bigger airplanes, it might work. 0.7 mm thick wings are heaiver than, say 1mm depron, but when you scale it up, you could do stuff like honeycomb wing ribs for a 48 inch WS. then the weigh is not as big a deal.
in not sure of the strength vs CF or plywood, but it does have the advantage of bending. any airliner will have wing flex designed in to it. i would think it helps dampen out the changes in motion.
its an intresting medium that has not been done yet. you get the flexablity of foam, with the strength of thin ply wood, but you have much finer control.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 11:04 AM
Joined Apr 2004
7,017 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemoskull View Post
im not sure foam will be happening anytime soon. foam is basicilly a bubble with gas traped inside.
tho for bigger airplanes, it might work. 0.7 mm thick wings are heaiver than, say 1mm depron, but when you scale it up, you could do stuff like honeycomb wing ribs for a 48 inch WS. then the weigh is not as big a deal.
in not sure of the strength vs CF or plywood, but it does have the advantage of bending. any airliner will have wing flex designed in to it. i would think it helps dampen out the changes in motion.
its an intresting medium that has not been done yet. you get the flexablity of foam, with the strength of thin ply wood, but you have much finer control.
Concerning foam, I'm thinking of micro balloons. They have a superfine particle size but they are still hollow. I've made paste with lots of micro balloons and very little epoxy and it's as light as shaving cream. Micro balloons can be made of glass, which is certainly not going to melt in the nozzle and they can be stuck together with as little plastic binder as possible for the least end weight.

Just a day dream.

Going to the NYC Maker Faire Sunday and I'll get a chance to talk to lots of people. There's a new printer designed by some guys from MIT, mostly for themselves. Four times the resolution of the Makerbot (that's 64 squirts of the nozzle for each Makerbot squirt) (4 times 4 times 4) and it uses laser fusing.

It's volume is something like 4.9 by 4.9 by 6 or so. Very nice finish on what it makes but too small for a lot of things.

Pete
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 29, 2012, 10:03 AM
Surrey BC, Canada
Joined Sep 2002
876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteSchug View Post
Concerning foam, I'm thinking of micro balloons. They have a superfine particle size but they are still hollow. I've made paste with lots of micro balloons and very little epoxy and it's as light as shaving cream. Micro balloons can be made of glass, which is certainly not going to melt in the nozzle and they can be stuck together with as little plastic binder as possible for the least end weight.

Just a day dream.

Going to the NYC Maker Faire Sunday and I'll get a chance to talk to lots of people. There's a new printer designed by some guys from MIT, mostly for themselves. Four times the resolution of the Makerbot (that's 64 squirts of the nozzle for each Makerbot squirt) (4 times 4 times 4) and it uses laser fusing.

It's volume is something like 4.9 by 4.9 by 6 or so. Very nice finish on what it makes but too small for a lot of things.

Pete
Check out Tinkerine Studio booth when you are there. They are some of the people from my local 3d Printer club. They are showcasing there ditto printer. I want to replace my Huxley with one of these soon. Great Printer and its not closed source like the new MakerBot. Also I believe its under 1000.

Here is a link to there website

http://www.tinkerines.com

Enjoy MakerFaire. One day I need to go to New York one.

Colin
Gonzo007 is offline Find More Posts by Gonzo007
Old Oct 04, 2012, 04:00 PM
Joined Apr 2004
7,017 Posts
Had a great time at the Maker Faire.

Didn't get to see everything I wanted, was there with a friend, his wife and three kids.

Am totally hooked on the Makerbot II. The only thing is the heated platform for ABS (might need ABS for strength) will not be available on day one. I'll have to find out the cost of that vs the cost of upgrading the basic unit. If the diff is not too bad I'll order now.

There's too much to see in one day unless you bring food and drink and don't stop to rest. Wasted about an hour on line for food! Another long stretch in the Science Museum sitting out a rainstorm.

Didn't get to see any laser cutting gear but did see tons of Arduino tinkering kits and some interesting Xbee stuff.

One guy with a 3D printer did a section of his skull from a CAT scan. Shoulda done the whole thing, it's almost Halloween!

Makerbot has another printer coming out that has two print heads got multi color work, but its long dimension is only nine inches. Dunno why they don't just make one with an eighteen inch long axis. You still have the same number of parts to assemble as the eleven inch one and the two head one won't feel like it's too small.

Going to the Mulberry Street store on Monday to ask about delivery time.

Pete
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 05, 2012, 10:37 AM
Joined Apr 2004
7,017 Posts
Question, mostly to BIM, Nemo and Derk.

What software are you using to make models for 3D printing?

I'm on a Mac and I prefer native Mac stuff but I have a Mac at home (away most of the time for the next week) with a Windows partition if need be.

Tried a few things. Took a peek at Free!ship but there are too many things around to try everything. Autodesk seems to have a lot of free stuff!

Edit: Downloaded Autodesk's Inventor Fusion and making funny shapes. It seems pretty good.

Pete
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by PeteSchug; Oct 05, 2012 at 01:14 PM.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 05:07 PM
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,749 Posts
google sketchup. not hardcore, but good non the less. (got the idea from BIM way back when.)
there is a plug in feature, so your not limited to just what you have in the program. there is a involute gear plug in that ive been itching to try out and print from shapeways.

it gets some flak for being mostly a 'grafix' 3d program, but works well enough. tho it took me a while to get use to the idea of 'watertight' designs and shapeways has a limit of no more that 3 (or is it 2)_ faces intersecting at any time.
i hear its different from 3d grafix design. tho i never messed with that.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 05:20 PM
Houston, Texas
Joined May 2007
427 Posts
I've done some work with a MakerBot Cupcake Printer.

For software, I use Rhino 3D (Not free). There is other free software out there, but I cut my teeth on Rhino and get super frustrated trying to learn anything else! Free software worth looking into is Art of Illusion AOI. Blender is another one. A guy I know does all of his 3D work with AOI (and he does a lot with it)

Bringing this back on topic: One thing I am going to try out soon is to print out a fuselage using PLA, then do the old trick where you do esaki tissue papier machet on the outside of the printed model. The last layer of tissue will probably be run through an inkjet printer for markings. Then, when it's dry, put the fuselage in the oven at 375 F (~190C) for a while and the PLA will completely liquefy, hopefully leaving a perfect fuselage.

Marlin
mcm1303 is offline Find More Posts by mcm1303
Old Oct 05, 2012, 05:26 PM
Joined Apr 2004
7,017 Posts
Thanks Nemo.

I tried it and made a pipe but it wouldn't let me make a hole in the side. (Want to try to make a penny whistle as well as a boat!)

Looked at Free!ship. It's Windows only so it'll have to wait until I get home.

My flying buddy is in Sedona and I'm camped out in his house so I can feed his daughter's cats while she takes late classes. I'm taking advantage of his high speed broadband and the opportunity to fly at our club. Maidened my Spit today.

Going to Makerbot either tomorrow or Sunday and asking about delivery time for the various models. (One has a heated bed plate for ABS, another has two print heads but prints a smaller area) I think I want the single head that can do ABS since strength might be needed for some projects.

I thought my flying buddy would think I was crazy but he's as interested as I am!

Thanks for mentioning that Sketchup has plug-ins available.

Pete
RCG Plus Member