Old Oct 19, 2012, 03:34 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
RG,

Looks interesting - but I'd rather go with something that can do an ROG takeoff & wheel landing. One of the things I want to do with FPV is practice touch & goes and work on making my takeoffs & landings look scale.

Joel
Very good point! In fact, that's definitively "reason two" why I'm thinking of converting my Beast to FPV... My two FPV rigs are handlaunch only, and sure enough, landing (and likely take-off) are one of the greatest fun of FPV. You still want to land very close to you, but it's totally different than flying normal RC. I've hit myself a few time with the small FPV, while trying to land by my feet!
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 19, 2012, 04:33 PM
Live FPV or Die
Montreal,Canada
Joined Feb 2002
3,960 Posts
Beast is very hard to land FPV from the cockpit, I don't see the ground or even the trees that was on my way. I think next flight there I will plunge more at landing. I would say the Beast is not a good choice to practice your first landing.
But on the other hand, the Mig-15 is easy to take-off and land on wheels or without them
VRflyer is offline Find More Posts by VRflyer
Old Oct 19, 2012, 04:51 PM
Live FPV or Die
Montreal,Canada
Joined Feb 2002
3,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
VRflyer,

Excellent work! I did a bit of long-range FPV back in the late 90s, but haven't done anything since.

What are you getting for reliable video link range with the Spironet rx antenna?

BTW - your Cap 232 FPV setup is outstanding! I love the articulated pilot! Given the lack of prop artifacts, I assume that you're using a CCD cam, rather than CMOS.

Joel
Hi Joel

Very impressive setup with yours student. I tried also to work with 440mhz video Tx without good success many years ago, I was using 72mhz radio or 56mhz and with the same result, the servo was jitter. I understand your radio operating at 2.4Ghz well before anyone

I use 5.8Ghz with my micro-plane, but it is the worst choice for long range flight, better use 900 or 1.2ghz.
5.8Ghz is new for me, I'm experimenting presently for micro-plane and short range. I'm very please with the result with the standard wire antenna that is sell with the 200mW 5.8Ghz tx. I use the Spironet antenna on the receiver mount on my video headset. I would be very please to reach 500m with this setup making safe to fly up to 250m.

I use a ccd cam in the cap with the figurine. I don't like the prop with this cam because of the stoboscopic effect of the cam showing the prop near stop. CMOS are even worst. I got another Cap232 identical with no figurine, no dashboard but I use a Pixim cam where I see the prop identical if I would sit in a real plane, I don't see it turning, too fast, I only see a round with transparency
http://www.rangevideo.com/index.php?...roducts_id=158
it's the best camera I use, but mine come with a heavy case not usable, I made mine and it is bigger than CCD cam I use
Old Oct 19, 2012, 06:22 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,533 Posts
VRflyer,

Thanks for the info!

I checked out that DPS camera. Very nice! Any videos?

Yeah, we were early with the 2.4 GHz stuff. I remember thinking 'wow - no more waiting for a channel or getting shot-down by high-power VHF stations'. I was teaching a two-year RF/wireless technology course at the time, and I wanted to come up with a class project that would be more interesting for the students than working on donated pubic service radios, paging transmitters, and such. So I came up with the idea of building our own long-range FPV system with off-the-shelf components. We disabled the RF section in a Futaba transmitter, converted the PPM signal to ASCII with a PIC, and then fed it to a 2.4 GHz serial modem, running 1 watt on the ham radio portion of the band. We picked it up on the receive end with an identical modem, and then used a Scott Edwards ASCII-to-PPM converter. Even though we were running 2.4 GHz for the control link, we still had serious RFI from the 440 MHz ATV transmitter. We ended up with separate power systems for video & control, opto-isolated servo extensions, we had to put ferrite on pretty much everything else, and we had to use a pass/notch filter on the 2.4 GHz rx. It was a great learning experience & it was also a lot of fun. That was the only time I ever had students beg me to stay after school & come in on weekends to do their homework!

Looking back, I really wish I would have applied for a patent & took it to the FCC.

Regarding not being able to see the ground on approach with the Beast - I was thinking about that while watching the on-board video from my Beast 3D on 3s. The plane comes in so nose-high that it's nearly impossible to see the runway at all during the approach. If you're interested, you can watch it here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=15647

Eventually, I want to go bigger. But for now, I just want to experiment with the smaller stuff. I think 250-500 meters will be fine for what I want to do. I wonder how well the UMX Carbon Cub would work for FPV landings. Only problem is that when shooting from the CC's cockpit with a narrow FOV, the prop artifacts from the rolling shutter would cover most of the frame. I wish we could find a micro-cam that doesn't have the rolling shutter problem.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 23, 2012, 09:18 PM
Live FPV or Die
Montreal,Canada
Joined Feb 2002
3,960 Posts
Video no2

New flight today. It was awesome again. I like very much this Beast. Only the 90deg lens irritate me, I will replace it with a 110deg when receive. It will look like if I sit a little farther behind.

Turboparker: No I don't have any video recorded with the cam DX201

Micro FPV Beast no2 (4 min 26 sec)
Old Oct 25, 2012, 08:37 AM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,533 Posts
VR,

Excellent work & great flying! I especially enjoyed the slow-rolls, and the landing was a perfect 3-point greaser! I look forward to seeing how the 110 degree lens performs.

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 25, 2012, 09:13 AM
Live FPV or Die
Montreal,Canada
Joined Feb 2002
3,960 Posts
Slow roll with this plane are awesome. I like to roll whit my aerobatic planes. With this one when I will become use to it, the plane will turn 90% of the flight.

I received a keychain with 120deg lens. The lens mount is smaller, I will try to fit it with tape over the thread of the lens while waiting for my 110deg lens, but I expect black corner with it.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 07:31 PM
Live FPV or Die
Montreal,Canada
Joined Feb 2002
3,960 Posts
Beast video no3

We finally have descent weather after two weeks of winds

I installed a wider angle lens on my Beast, it look like if I'm seated farther from the dashboard. The view is perfect, it give me the feeling to fly a much bigger plane.

Also the panning servo of the camera as been replaced, the new one have more throw, 200deg. I modify my servo by adding one resistor on each external leg of the pot to extend the movement of the arm.

Micro FPV Beast no3 (4 min 12 sec)
Old Nov 10, 2012, 10:55 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,452 Posts
Awesome video VRflyer! Love the new setup. Interesting to see how little aileron input is needed to roll the airplane. WTG!
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Nov 10, 2012, 11:19 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,533 Posts
Yeah, that was cool! Love the new lens. Excellent flying, too. You really nailed the landing! Great job!

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 12, 2012, 10:05 AM
Segelfliegen bedeutet Freiheit
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined May 2010
1,083 Posts
Very cool sir!

I look forward to more!

Cheers,

SkyCadet
[looking to put one of these perhaps in my Pitts 12 15E!]
SkyCadet is offline Find More Posts by SkyCadet
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New plane - Evader!!!
Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:23 PM
Live FPV or Die
Montreal,Canada
Joined Feb 2002
3,960 Posts
HI Skycadet

I saw your PM, I will suggest you a simple video gear for micro aircraft. I go to my job, I will answer it tomorrow here
Old Nov 13, 2012, 01:28 AM
Segelfliegen bedeutet Freiheit
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined May 2010
1,083 Posts
Thanks!

SC
SkyCadet is offline Find More Posts by SkyCadet
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New plane - Evader!!!
Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:09 AM
Live FPV or Die
Montreal,Canada
Joined Feb 2002
3,960 Posts
DIY Micro FPV setup

If you are interest in micro FPV, I suggest you a simple setup that will work on most micro airframe and that you will swapt easily from one plane to another. It will cover the range that you fly normally in visual, and beyond. I can reach 500m with it using my Mig-15, but I get a lot of interferences. The camera and video transmitter (Tx) are power by one 100mAh 1S lipo. The added weight is around 12gr. The lipo will last 30min allowing several flights before need to be replaced.

On ground I suggest you a LCD monitor if you start in FPV. Video goggle cost around $350 and if you are interest in Head tracker to pan the camera with your head, most radio on the market are not compatible. LCD monitor do not have a bright screen usable outside, even with cardboard, some picture are hard to see. Also most monitor show a blue screen when the video signal is too weak, very bad for flying… I will suggest you a good one for FPV. On ground, you can install the monitor and the video receiver (Rx) on a tripod. Both are power by 12V, you can use one big lipo 3S (3000mah and over). Sadly I don’t know one store that sell everything I like, so I do many orders.
http://www.foxtechfpv.com/foxtech-m8...tor-p-644.html ($120)

You need a camera with a wide angle field of view (FOV), 90deg is the most use by FPV pilots:
http://www.foxtechfpv.com/fh10c-v9-5...fov-p-524.html ($45)

Also a video transmitter module 5.8 GHz, 200mW, this Tx come with an antenna longer that the one on the photo and no wires weld on it. I suggest you to use the antenna sold with the Tx because it is light and have no drag, I got good result with it with my Beast and Mig-15, and later you can try other antenna if your plane can afford the added weight. The antenna is the most critical thing in FPV, do a perfect solder there. Use a 25W soldering iron with conic tip idealy and add flux paste (available at Radio Shack). Clean the flux with isopropyl alcohol available at drugstore. DO NOT PUT EPOXY OR GLUE AT THE BASE OF THE ANTENNA. You can put epoxy on the wires to secure them with the Tx, not hot glue because the Tx become enough hot to melt the glue, so it serve nothing.
http://www.fpvhobby.com/93-200mw-58g...ansmitter.html ($39)

This Tx have a voltage regulator inside it, it can be run from 2.9V to 5V. I made bench test and I got normal video picture on 1S lipo down to 2.9V, so no worry to lost video. You should never go under 3.0V per cell with lipo anyway. (I think Range video.com also sell this Tx, but his website is not clear)
I suggest these wires, they are small enough to work easily and have a male/ female connector allowing adding an extension between the cam and Tx:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...5pcs_bag_.html
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...0pcs_bag_.html these wires are not flexible, they will damage the Tx eventually, perhaps it is better to cut the wire and solders near the connector the red/brown tiny wires suggest above and weld them to the Tx.

Lipo 1S:http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=11873 ($1.60)

On the ground, it is simpler. Other than the monitor you need a receiver 5.8 GHz: http://www.foxtechfpv.com/foxtech-58...ver-p-181.html ($25.99)

Antenna:http://www.dpcav.com/xcart/5.8GHz-sp...stem-RHCP.html ($39.99)
You will use only the Rx antenna, you can use the Spironet Tx antenna on your video Tx in the future to extend the range, the housing of the antenna can be remove easily.
The Rx antenna does not fit the connector of the 5.8 GHz receiver. You must use a good quality adapter:
http://www.dpcav.com/xcart/SMA-Jack-...g-Adapter.html ($6.99)

(Spironet antenna are also available at HobbyKing, but not the connector)
Last edited by VRflyer; Nov 13, 2012 at 11:35 AM.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:24 AM
Live FPV or Die
Montreal,Canada
Joined Feb 2002
3,960 Posts
You need to weld the black wire from the camera and the black wire from the battery to the GND of the video TX.
You weld the red wire of the cam and the red of the battery to the VCC of the video Tx.
You weld the white or video signal wire from the camera to the VIDEO of the video Tx.
On the other side of the video TX, you weld the antenna exactly like show in the photo, same side and weld it flush with the video Tx board.
Weld one wire from GND to the CH1 if you want to fly on channel one

p.s.: about the Channel selection, it have 8 channel available, but only three digit to select on the video transmiter and receiver. You must think in binary count to select channels.
000= ch0 (or8)
001=ch1
010= ch2
011=ch3
100=ch4
101=ch5
110=ch6
111=ch7

not sure exactly but it is somethink like this...
Last edited by VRflyer; Nov 13, 2012 at 11:39 AM.