HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 28, 2012, 09:11 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRflyer View Post
Thanks Lord

Kevin, I use a 200mW tx 5.8G from Foxtech with a 12V cam with 90 deg fov, the cam as been open to remove the voltage reg and mic, it is power at 3.3V now, same as the 5.8G Tx. I use a anyvolt micro with no capacitor to power the cam/tx from the main lipo of the plane.

http://www.foxtechfpv.com/fh10c-v9-12v-ntsc-p-532.html
http://www.foxtechfpv.com/tx5823-200...ers-p-272.html
http://www.dimensionengineering.com/.../anyvolt-micro
When I go to the Foxtech site McAfee alerts me that there is a TROJAN HORSE!!!...(JS/Blacole-Redirect.u)

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 28, 2012, 09:22 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Greene View Post
When I go to the Foxtech site McAfee alerts me that there is a TROJAN HORSE!!!...(JS/Blacole-Redirect.u)

Kevin
Probably coming from an advertiser?... I've ordered many times from Foxtech, and also used many computers (different antivirus) and never had any problems... Strange.
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Sep 28, 2012, 10:08 PM
Joined Mar 2007
4,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
Probably coming from an advertiser?... I've ordered many times from Foxtech, and also used many computers (different antivirus) and never had any problems... Strange.
I clicked on his link as well as just going directly to the site...The results were the same...Two trojan horse warnings with each page I click on...I did check with McAfee and the trojan horse virus has a "low threat" warning but still--I get NERVOUS when this pops up...I recently had to reload EVERYTHING on my laptop after my oldest son visited a site with "free" games...So, I'm a little leary when I get a warning...

Back to the micro FPV...I need links to EVERYTHING needed to fly FPV...I have absolutely no equipment for FPV flying..So, I need info on the goggles, head tracking, and the equipment needed to install in the plane...The WHOLE enchilada!!!......

Kevin
Old Sep 29, 2012, 06:43 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,458 Posts
Quote:
Back to the micro FPV...I need links to EVERYTHING needed to fly FPV...I have absolutely no equipment for FPV flying..So, I need info on the goggles, head tracking, and the equipment needed to install in the plane...The WHOLE enchilada!!!......

Kevin
Like with airplanes, if you get 10 opinions, you'll get 10 TOTALLY different opinions!!! So, first thing you should do is head over the FPV thread and read as much as you can so you can make up your own. I won't provide link, since all the FPV stuff is the same, it's only a question of finding where you want to buy it and that's easy. Let say you want to but a video transmitter, simply type the part number and all the supplier will come up. Or simply type: video transmitter 200mw 5.8ghz in google, and you'll get the stores selling them. You'll find out that Foxtech was pretty much the cheapest, but others will come close. BEVRC is one of the first and still the best for FPV stuff but pricier. FPVHobby used to be good, but now, their prices is not anymore. And sure enough, Ebay is still a good source.

But here's my two cents as far as choosing the material:

Goggles: There's only two good ones. AIO and FatShark. I love my AIO because there's a 2.4Ghz AND 5.8GHZ video receiver built-in and headtracking is awesome. But if you go larger FPV, you won't use those frequency anymore... You can go with cheaper googles, be eventually, you'll want one of those two.

LCD screen: A cheap way to start instead of buying googles. Allow you to quickly see your airplane and still fly FPV. Make sure the screen doesn't go blue when signal is weak.

Video recorder: Anything goes, but you'll quickly want something that can record your FPV flight. Same thing as LCD screen, make sure it's recording noise, and not simply going into some blue screen. Saved me one airplane (since I could check the last few second of a flight and find where I crashed.). For bigger FPV setup, a beeper that you can activate from the Tx is also a great addition for finding lost airplane.

Micro FPV transmitter: There's basically only 3 small transmitter and they all come from the same manufacture but are sold by everybody, so simply check the price Foxtech was usually the cheapest and and relatively fast shipping, so I'm sad about what you reported.... 10mW and 200mW transmitter, and one with a camera and transmitter built-in. They are all good but sure enough, the 200mW is the best for a decent range.

Video receiver: Anything goes... They are all cheap and work well. But it's great to have them integrated in your googles. A must if you use a LCD display instead of goggles, but you'll use it later on to record your flight anyway (receiver and video recorder completely separate from your goggles, so more freedom that way).

Camera: They are getting smaller and smaller. I paid big bucks for a 3gr camera and now they sell 1gr for half the price! Still, you want a good one, with about 90 degre field of view first. From then, you'll quickly find out it's too much or not enough. Some like very wide angle, some like narrow field of view. But anything around 90 degree should be good for a first camera.

Last: Spektrum SUCK.... Yes, that's the first time I'm saying that Spektrum suck, but for Head Tracking, they really do!!!! They have no clue what is Head Tracking and their Tx is not designed for that in mind (lower voltage on training port too!). Any other brand is better for Head Tracking, so eventually, you'll want another Tx with a Spektrum module so you can do Head Tracking. Even the $50 Turnigy 9X can do HT!!! It's not so bad with larger airplane because you use a external UHF transmitter with longer range and can mix HT with it, but you're screwed for HT in micro-airplanes. But trust me, even with a fixed camera (less weight, one extra servo not needed, it's VERY fun).

Overall, FPV is a lot of work and you better be good at soldering because quite often, it's not plug and play! You have to carry more stuff with you so preflight setup take more time. In my book, small FPV is better than big FPV (To fly my big FPV rig, I need between 5 to 7 batteries total for one flight)

Last: Put your coordinates on your aircraft so if you loose it, you have a chance to get it back. Phone number, or email.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 07:16 AM
Live FPV or Die
Montreal,Canada
Joined Feb 2002
3,962 Posts
Excellent info above about how to start in FPV.

One advice I will tell you, kept it simple at first and add one thing at the time. Like begin by installing your video gear onboard and record or watch the video on a monitor. Buy the goggle after. Lot of peoples who are use to fly visualy will prefer a monitor with carton board to block sunshine.

I also started a thread in the FPV forum about my micro-planes, you will find better technical info there:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1740801

The best for you is to wait that I found a decent solution and copy me. I will give you the links etc.

This is very tiny stuff, you will have to do mod with SMD components, most of peoples change mind when they see the SMD components. Do you have knowledge in electronic, or it's better to find you a plug & play solution for bigger plane?
VRflyer is offline Find More Posts by VRflyer
Old Sep 29, 2012, 10:23 AM
Joined Mar 2007
4,014 Posts
RealGambler---WOW!!!...Your info is MUCH appreciated!!!...Just what I needed---Direct and to the point info condensed into one answer...MUCH BETTER that having to sift through countless posts and threads!!!

Soldering is a non-issue for me---(Mil Spec trained)...And I have an adjustable temperature soldering station...

I'll have to read up on head tracking---I have a JR 9503 so I assume it has the same problems as Spektrum...(Is the lower voltage issue on the training port easily overcome if you bypass the power from the training port and run an external battery such as a small Lipo velcroed to the back of the TX???)

Kevin
Old Sep 29, 2012, 10:44 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,458 Posts
Quote:
RealGambler---WOW!!!...Your info is MUCH appreciated!!!...

I'll have to read up on head tracking---I have a JR 9503 so I assume it has the same problems as Spektrum...(Is the lower voltage issue on the training port easily overcome if you bypass the power from the training port and run an external battery such as a small Lipo velcroed to the back of the TX???)

Kevin
You're welcome for the info...

I'm not sure about JR stuff... The lower voltage on the training port is not the biggest problem. Worst case, it's relatively easy to tap into the Tx or use external hardware that can take a lower signal...

The problem is because with Spektrum, there's no available mix for the HeadTracking unit... The training port is designed to either send four channels out or in. So, if you plug something in that port, it's either outputing throttle,aileron,elevator and rudder, or it's expecting the same four channel from something else. When you do HT, you want to input the two signals from the HT into your Tx so it does send your two signals on top of everything else (so since you're usually flying with the first four channels, it should mix in the HT signal into channel 5 and 6). Many other brand of TXs allow for that kind of mix... You can even pick what channel you want the HT signal to be sent on. Well, Spektrum is not good for that. They should adapt since FPV is so popular, but they are truly out of the picture for now. (they have the best pro flying stuff for them, but I guess none of them are into FPV! )

Does not matter though, as it was said above, the best way to start FPV is to keep it simple, so keep HT for the end (and usually for bigger airplane, so it's not such a problem anymore because you usually end up bypassing the 2.4Ghz stuff of your Tx and use UHF so mixing can be done there) Just using a video transmitter and a fixed camera is TRULY AWESOME and much simpler.

P.S.: I say channel 5 and 6 because normal HT use two channels for full HT, ie, up-down and left-right. For UM, you would use only one channel for left-right.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 11:08 AM
Joined Mar 2007
4,014 Posts
THANKS!!!...I'll have to read up on the 9503 manual to see just what is controlled through the trainer port...I was thinking that the higher end JR radios allowed for more than 4 channels through the training port but could be wrong...I've buddy boxed a friend to help him with his turbine and thought that we had flap/retract control as well...I can't remember as it's been a few years back...He had two 12X TX's that we used...

Kevin
Old Oct 01, 2012, 11:31 PM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
3,346 Posts
dang I need to do some reading in this thread!
I want to start flying FPV on my TRex600
brushless55 is online now Find More Posts by brushless55
Old Oct 02, 2012, 05:59 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brushless55 View Post
dang I need to do some reading in this thread!
I want to start flying FPV on my TRex600
Well this is microFPV... And with FPV, first thing you know, you want to go farther and farther... With a TRex600, you can carry some heavy stuff, so you would be better reading the normal FPV threads. You won't be using those postage stamp VTX for long in such a big aircraft!
Old Oct 02, 2012, 07:57 AM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
3,346 Posts
good point
brushless55 is online now Find More Posts by brushless55
Old Oct 02, 2012, 08:37 AM
Live FPV or Die
Montreal,Canada
Joined Feb 2002
3,962 Posts
Helicopter are the hardest to fly FPV. Your T-Rex 600 is very big and fast, it is the worst choice to start FPV with it.
Better to start FPV with something slower
VRflyer is offline Find More Posts by VRflyer
Last edited by VRflyer; Oct 02, 2012 at 09:06 AM.
Old Oct 03, 2012, 03:52 PM
Crashomatic
United States, CA, SF
Joined May 2010
2,053 Posts
if you know how to fly helis non-fpv i find heli flying fpv really easy, because they don't move around so much. (and i mean helis, not quads etc)

with planes it goes away quickly and from the sky its easy to lose orientation.

now then again when you crash the heli its a lot more damage than the plane :P
CrashMeUp is offline Find More Posts by CrashMeUp
Old Oct 03, 2012, 04:10 PM
United States, CA, Mountain View
Joined Sep 2010
316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
The problem is because with Spektrum, there's no available mix for the HeadTracking unit... The training port is designed to either send four channels out or in. So, if you plug something in that port, it's either outputing throttle,aileron,elevator and rudder, or it's expecting the same four channel from something else. When you do HT, you want to input the two signals from the HT into your Tx so it does send your two signals on top of everything else (so since you're usually flying with the first four channels, it should mix in the HT signal into channel 5 and 6). Many other brand of TXs allow for that kind of mix... You can even pick what channel you want the HT signal to be sent on. Well, Spektrum is not good for that. They should adapt since FPV is so popular, but they are truly out of the picture for now. (they have the best pro flying stuff for them, but I guess none of them are into FPV! )
I was poking around in my DX8 and it looked like it had some pretty advanced settings for the trainer port. I *swear* you can tell it which channels are controlled via trainer. I was looking into this for use with FPV, but am only speaking from research and not actual testing.

Maybe the DX8 (and DX7s) are the only ones that do it?
fryfrog is offline Find More Posts by fryfrog
Old Oct 03, 2012, 05:01 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fryfrog View Post
I was poking around in my DX8 and it looked like it had some pretty advanced settings for the trainer port. I *swear* you can tell it which channels are controlled via trainer. I was looking into this for use with FPV, but am only speaking from research and not actual testing.

Maybe the DX8 (and DX7s) are the only ones that do it?
Well, I only asked about the DX8 in the FPV forums, and was told that it didn't offer it. If you ever confirm that it's FPV friendly, please send me a PM! My poor DX7 is getting old.

P.S.: I was told the DX18 does, but that's out of my price range!