HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 02, 2012, 10:09 AM
What's 3D?
Australia, WA, Ellenbrook
Joined Feb 2008
3,316 Posts
LOL Bill, brings back memorys from my first build, i went through the exact same thing regarding the rear fuse structure. i went with the bass version and have never regretted it, still have the balsa trellis sitting on the shelf in my office for some reason, it reminds me of how much i enjoyed my first build
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=19

Cheers
Craig
trumps is offline Find More Posts by trumps
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 02, 2012, 10:13 AM
Retired and Lovin' it!
United States, KY, Sturgis
Joined Jul 2007
2,469 Posts
MIdwest Balsa is what I just used for the turtledeck stringers in the SE5a, Bill. The plans called for 1/16 square and the stuff supplied in the kit was pretty soft laser cut wood. I had some scrap 3/32 sheet of really hard stringy Midwest Balsa that I had picked up 'back when' from Hobby Lobby. I just opened up the notches in the formers and used the 3/32 stuff. It made the back of the SE5 a lot stronger and I don't think that I gained much weight. Right now the airframe weight is about 7 oz. IIRC, the kit materials call for the AUW to be around 23 oz. so I think that I am good. Motor from Headsup RC is supposed to arrive today.

BTW, I read here somewhere that you can use kids glue sticks to attach polyspan to your airframe. I am trying it now on the SE5a and an Ace AllStar Bipe before this and it works. I just go around the frame with the glue stick. Then I cut my polyspan to fit the area and lay it out on the frame. I then go over the glued area with a hot Monocote iron and the poly sticks down just great. No muss, no fuss and NO STINKY FUMES. Ha Ha, the STINKY FUMES part comes when I start to fill the polyspan with brush-on lacquer.

Tony
tpfing is offline Find More Posts by tpfing
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 02, 2012, 02:36 PM
United States, KY, Bowling Green
Joined Jul 2011
1,070 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by portablevcb View Post
FWIW, Michael's and Hobby Lobby frequently have basswood. MIchael's usually has a stock of Midwest wood, which is also very hard balsa. When I need some hard balsa that's where I get it.

Charlie
Hey Charlie I've been in Hobby Lobby many times and never noticed that they had Bass wood, by golly, we went in town today dropped by Hobby Lobby and was able to pick up just what I need for my wing panels. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Larry a mini windmill sounds just right for the old framework...
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LOL Bill, brings back memorys from my first build, i went through the exact same thing regarding the rear fuse structure. i went with the bass version and have never regretted it, still have the balsa trellis sitting on the shelf in my office for some reason, it reminds me of how much i enjoyed my first build
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=19

Cheers
Craig

Hey Craig,

Glad to know I'm not alone with regard to my construction Boo-Boos.... I've not built a plane yet that I would'nt have done something different when I'm finished with it

Tony,

How is your polyspan going? Your pictures of the SE5 show covering that seems to be somewhat tan or yellow in appearance. Is that polyspan? Where did you get it, and is it going on with too much "Fuzzy" trouble?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Best to everyone Bill
Bill Smudge is offline Find More Posts by Bill Smudge
Old Oct 02, 2012, 03:27 PM
Retired and Lovin' it!
Joined Jul 2007
2,469 Posts
Bill, the color is just from the lighting. I didn't use a flash. I bought my polyspan from http://www.fly2build.com/. I think I bought the 20 foot roll. So far I haven't had much of a problem but it may rear its ugly head at any time. I still just trying it out. I had better like it, I bought a bunch of it.

Tony
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 02, 2012, 07:58 PM
Joined Jul 2011
1,070 Posts
Hot or mild sauce?

Ribs ready, now all I need is the sauce...

Spent a little time today making the wing ribs 38 in all, 36 inch wing span and 38 ribs. I think that's plenty. The wings ribs match the real plane very nicely, also I would suspect the airfoil will be very well defined.
Old Oct 03, 2012, 10:37 AM
Power Upward
United States, OR, Albany
Joined Jun 2007
1,117 Posts
Bill,

Nice work on the Ribs. If they are not laser cut, which method did you use to cut them out?

George
GeorgeG97322 is offline Find More Posts by GeorgeG97322
Old Oct 03, 2012, 03:05 PM
Joined Jul 2011
1,070 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeG97322 View Post
Bill,

Nice work on the Ribs. If they are not laser cut, which method did you use to cut them out?

George

Hi George,

I cut out the balsa blanks about 1/4 inch bigger than the actual rib, then I tack glue the blanks together with a glue stick and clamp for a few minutes. Next I cut out the rib pattern and use a glue stick to stick it onto my stack of blanks. Now I take them out to my 8" table top disk sander, this sander has work surface that is adjusted to exactly 90 degress to the spinning 8 inch disk. Then I just sand the whole stack down to the printed rib outline, as one group. The notches are cut with an old bandsaw I have, I suspect that could be done with a razor saw if one was careful.

Bill
Old Oct 03, 2012, 03:50 PM
Power Upward
United States, OR, Albany
Joined Jun 2007
1,117 Posts
Thanks Bill,

My usual method is to create a basswood template of each rib type needed, then I just trace with xacto knife for each one, rather labor intensive. But i do have templates when I'm done for use on the rebuild

George
GeorgeG97322 is offline Find More Posts by GeorgeG97322
Old Oct 04, 2012, 02:30 PM
Joined Jul 2011
1,070 Posts
One half of the wing done, pieces going together nicely, great plan Pete..

Made the main spar out of the same wood I found in the garage and used on the rear section of the fuse, nice and strong. Current weight of bones is 4.0 oz. other wing will add 1 oz or so so I believe bare bones will weigh in at about 5.2 oz or so.

I would like to end up at an AUW in the 10-12 oz range, the plane has a wing area of about 252 sq inches, so that should be nice and docile..

Best to everyone,

Bill
Old Oct 04, 2012, 03:10 PM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,459 Posts
Bill,
Nice as 12 ounces would be, even 16 ounces gives a wing loading of only just over 9 ounces/square foot. Very floaty indeed. Get it down to 12 and you're almost into indoor territory.
That does, of course, mean that keeping it really light by using something like a 2 gram Rx and 1.7 gram servos for control, this could make a nice indoor model at around 6-7 ounces. It would need a big venue because of its' size, but should fly slowly enough. The only warning I would offer is not to drop one of those dinky servos inside it, it could disappear forever. I was amazed when I saw how small they are.

Coming along really nicely mate.

Pete
PETERRAKE is offline Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old Oct 07, 2012, 09:32 AM
New Boston, Texas, United States
Joined Jan 2003
2,386 Posts
Bill,

You snuck this one in on me. Did not find it till today. A great subject. You will enjoy flying it. Did you ever fly your Hellcat? Soon as I finish the N17 I plan to finish off my Hellcat.

Jim
JIMA is offline Find More Posts by JIMA
Old Oct 07, 2012, 02:23 PM
Joined Jul 2011
1,070 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMA View Post
Bill,

You snuck this one in on me. Did not find it till today. A great subject. You will enjoy flying it. Did you ever fly your Hellcat? Soon as I finish the N17 I plan to finish off my Hellcat.

Jim
The Stahlwerk is a fun build and I'm sure will be a nice easy flyer.

Nope, never have maidened the Hellcat, needs a few hours work to be ready to go.
I Continue to gain more flying skills, I'll work up the nerve to give it a go one of these days.

You get yout Hellcat ready and give it a nice maiden and I'll get a fire lit under me to finish mine.....

Your N17 looks absolutely wonderful, I suspect you will be taking it up soon.

Bill
Old Oct 09, 2012, 05:09 PM
Joined Jul 2011
1,070 Posts
Just tinkering a bit, right now. We have an annual Octoberfest gathering at our place, it will happen next week so the boss (aka the better half), has me getting ready for the mob.

Did get the the rudder and elevator hinged, and the tubing for the pull-pull cables done. The nose section is pretty much sanded down to final shape so I can pull the hatch and nose piece off.

More sanding to do on the wing halfs leading edges, seems like those take forever...

Here are a few pics:
Old Oct 09, 2012, 05:12 PM
Retired and Lovin' it!
Joined Jul 2007
2,469 Posts
Its looking really good, Bill.

Tony
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 09, 2012, 06:29 PM
What's 3D?
Australia, WA, Ellenbrook
Joined Feb 2008
3,316 Posts
Looks fantastic mate, you ought to pick up a razor plane, shaves a lot of time off of the likes of leading edge shaping

Craig
trumps is offline Find More Posts by trumps