Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 27, 2012, 07:15 AM
Gravitationally challenged
Joined Aug 2012
182 Posts
Hi Brandon and fellow P51'rs

Pleased to be part of the crew. Got my Gunfighter Christmas Eve (great timing, huh, not withstanding Australian importer delays which I eventually gave up on and then bought through Phil - ordered Wed night, arrived following Monday).

She went together fairly seamlessly, just found the elevator VERY stiff, the other control surfaces were OK and had a bit of shock re the sheer number of wires in the fuse, as I mentioned before, and have now ordered the 1.7m connectors - appreciate the link. Moved both elevator and rudder links at the servos outboard to get near the stated throws. Does it really need 40mm elevator throw each way? Seems way too much...

Most of today was spent painting the engine manifold. I'm not exactly the arty type but it sort of came out a bronzey colour, see attached. I also balanced the prop and spinner together, which actually needed about four bits of masking tape on one blade and a couple on another.

I also did V8's pitch increase mod to the prop using small cable tie end glued into the nose cone base under the leading edge of each blade. A ground test suggested she had buckets of grunt available!

Will configure an Eagletree Guardian for the maiden, but will do a few coats of water based poly clear first and wait for a half reasonable day. It's been dang windy around here recently, 30kn stuff.

I have also ordered the MrRCsound kit, he had a free speaker offer prior to Christmas which tipped me over the edge. Cheers.
Flyindude is offline Find More Posts by Flyindude
Last edited by Flyindude; Dec 28, 2012 at 03:45 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 27, 2012, 08:52 AM
Fly & Have Fun..Enjoy the Ride
Joined Mar 2009
5,655 Posts
Sounds Great and welcome aboard. Good looking airplane
brandonmoon is offline Find More Posts by brandonmoon
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Relocated back to Arizona
Old Dec 28, 2012, 03:40 AM
Joined Aug 2012
182 Posts
FYI, Phil sells the P38 dual connector arrangement alternatively. Similar price. Refer - http://www.pw-rc.com/product_info.php/products_id/2733 - includes a good explanation and schematics on how it all works - note the keying/blank plug - pretty important this is aligned properly for obvious reasons! Cheers.
Last edited by Flyindude; Dec 28, 2012 at 03:52 AM.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:36 PM
Joined Mar 2009
5,655 Posts
Looks like they have added 3 more liveries to the selection. as well as 2 new "B" model versions releasing in January 2013 sometime? along with a new 1450mm F4U Corsair
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:38 PM
gravity tester
LaPine,OR Quarztsite AZ
Joined Nov 2008
706 Posts
..P-51 was in the air for a couple flight today, i like her flying characteristics, as was surprised how she could climb out for some split-S's....take-off and landings are a breeze, and the flaps make her fun....shot this foto between flights today in Quartzsite Arizona, our winter home....Brandon, hope your getting moved in, when you have a chance, would you give me a brief comparison between the 1400 and 1700...if i could get a BBD V2 in 1.7, i'd be all over her!....happy landings
MRFASTPHIL is online now Find More Posts by MRFASTPHIL
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:42 PM
Joined Mar 2009
5,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRFASTPHIL View Post
..P-51 was in the air for a couple flight today, i like her flying characteristics, as was surprised how she could climb out for some split-S's....take-off and landings are a breeze, and the flaps make her fun....shot this foto between flights today in Quartzsite Arizona, our winter home....Brandon, hope your getting moved in, when you have a chance, would you give me a brief comparison between the 1400 and 1700...if i could get a BBD V2 in 1.7, i'd be all over her!....happy landings
Hey Phill, looking good there my friend and well armed, they actually both fly great and I have a decal set from Cali graphics to convert a 1.7 to the BBD scheme

Biggest difference is thier respective wing loading...the 1.4 V7 is much lighter and more of a floater

and yes we're moved in and just settling down...will be some time before everything is all put away
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:48 PM
gravity tester
LaPine,OR Quarztsite AZ
Joined Nov 2008
706 Posts
....Thanks Brandon.....you have all the good stuff!.....have the best year yet!
MRFASTPHIL is online now Find More Posts by MRFASTPHIL
Old Dec 29, 2012, 12:11 AM
Joined Mar 2009
5,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRFASTPHIL View Post
....Thanks Brandon.....you have all the good stuff!.....have the best year yet!
Thanks , actually fixing to sell a lot of it, but most of will have to be sold local since it's too big and expensive to ship. Nice AR... nothing like going out for some target practice and plinking along with some RC flying all at the same time....makes for a fun day
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 29, 2012, 06:39 AM
Most people are stupid!
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Oct 2011
3,682 Posts
I wish we were still allowed to have fun with guns over here. It's sad what happened, but I hope they don't have a knee jerk reaction and go overboard with regulation and ruin the fun.
dambit is offline Find More Posts by dambit
Old Dec 29, 2012, 06:49 AM
Joined Aug 2012
182 Posts
Hey guys are the stated control throws in the manual correct? Is the CofG correct using 3300/4S? I read somewhere the full metal strut brings the CoG forward which corrects the slight tail heaviness. True? Cheers
Old Dec 29, 2012, 06:58 AM
Upstanding Member
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Sep 2003
1,807 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyindude View Post
Most of today was spent painting the engine manifold. I'm not exactly the arty type but it sort of came out a bronzey colour, see attached.
Love what you did with these. The all black, very plasticy looking manifolds are one of the few things that bugs me about FMS' Mustangs.

Which paints did you use?
Kurt is offline Find More Posts by Kurt
Old Dec 29, 2012, 01:21 PM
Joined Aug 2012
182 Posts
Hi Kurt of Beer City (PMSL...)

Thanks for the positive vibes. I just used $2 acrylics from the local craft store. I was actually trying to emulate Brandon's fine job but didn't have black, nor an airbrush. I had sienna, red and a warbirdish green and mixed them up until I had some brownish colors. I dabbed in a little purple here and there and smudged with my fingers. I'd buy a hobbyking airbrush but they never seem in stock.... Cheers.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 02:07 PM
Upstanding Member
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Sep 2003
1,807 Posts
Thanks dude!
My V6 Petie is getting a bit beat up so won't put in the time to do this but definitely on the next one (either a V7.5 or maybe a 'B')

BTW I'm sure you've seen others but here are some pics of the real deal I took.
Petie 2nd at Oshkosh this summer and inside of Moonbeam McSwine a week ago (she's being taken apart for shipment to her new owner in France).
Kurt is offline Find More Posts by Kurt
Old Dec 29, 2012, 02:22 PM
San Pedro,Ca
Joined Sep 2004
8,626 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyindude View Post
Hey guys are the stated control throws in the manual correct? Is the CofG correct using 3300/4S? I read somewhere the full metal strut brings the CoG forward which corrects the slight tail heaviness. True? Cheers
Yes the CG is fine on the V7.5 using a 4s 3300mah
Mikemynameis is online now Find More Posts by Mikemynameis
Old Dec 29, 2012, 02:26 PM
San Pedro,Ca
Joined Sep 2004
8,626 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonmoon View Post
Looks like they have added 3 more liveries to the selection. as well as 2 new "B" model versions releasing in January 2013 sometime? along with a new 1450mm F4U Corsair
There are 8 different color schemes for the P-51D and 2 Color Schemes for the P-51B which are Shangrila and Dallas Darling Blue Nose
Mikemynameis is online now Find More Posts by Mikemynameis