Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 30, 2003, 12:21 PM
Londonderry, Vermont
Joined Nov 2003
98 Posts
Question
What plane should I get?

Hey, I am relatively new to flying; i have some experiance on my friend's GWS Pico. I'm sure you've answered this question hundreds of times before but what plane would you recommend. I am interested in a park flyer that is somewhat slow and stable but also can be used for simple aerobatics. I want to get a plane that has ailerons but i don't want to get something that is extremely sensitive that i cant control. I am looking at the GWS Funny Park, which i like because it is relatively cheep and from what i can tell, has what i am looking for. If you have any ideas about what planes i should get (and planes to avoid) i would appreciate your help.
thatchf137 is offline Find More Posts by thatchf137
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 30, 2003, 12:50 PM
the sky is falling
Hamilton, Ontario Canada
Joined Jun 2003
97 Posts
which plane to get

e-starter
HFDL21 is offline Find More Posts by HFDL21
Old Nov 30, 2003, 12:53 PM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Hi ThatchF137, Welcome to the E Zone.

The E-Starter would be a much better choice than the Funny Park. It's smoother and eaiser to fly. The Funny Park flies sort of... funny.

You'll see a lot of recommendations for the Slow Stik, it's tough to beat for a first plane. It does not have ailerons though. You might want to start with a SlowStik and get the EStarter for a second plane.As long as you have help flying it the E Starter should be okay.

Another plane to check out is the Sky Scooter Pro 2. It's fast and durable but doesn't have landing gear. And landings are a good thing to practice when learning.

BC
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
Old Nov 30, 2003, 01:18 PM
Athens, GA
Joined Jul 2003
374 Posts
Mountain Models Dandy.

I learned ailerons on this plane. It has three wing options, so you can upgrade as your skill level increases without having to buy a whole new plane. The wings go from a no-aileron soaring wing to a aileron trainer wing to a flat aileron wing for better aeorbatics.

Many argue that balsa planes are not as durable or repairable as foam. I have brought my plane down hard many times and if I needed repairs, they were quick and easy. Also, Doug is a great guy to deal with, and that puts the purchase on a more personal level.

Mountain models planes come with great instructions and go together very well. They are great for balsa virgins and a snap to put together.

Just my $.02

Good luck with whatever plane you get and welcome to RCgroups!
Launchpad is offline Find More Posts by Launchpad
Old Nov 30, 2003, 04:24 PM
St. Peters, MO
Joined Sep 2003
76 Posts
I second the Dandy Sport

I was in the same boat as you are several months ago and bought the Funny Park. Mistake. In my opinion the FP is for advanced flyers. It is not slow, nor is it stable. I did learn to fly it after many crashes and modifications. Even so, the advanced flyers at the club do much better with it than I do.

I now have a Dandy Sport and it is great to fly. It flys like the FP is advertised. I can't wait to try the GT wing.

Also, don't waste your money like me and buy a 5 amp esc and a crappy battery. Get a Pixie 20 and KAN Batteries or something equivalent.

In defense of the FP, I think it is a fine plane in the hands of an experienced pilot and if it is balanced good (critical) and if it has a strong motor. My plans are to throw a brushless in it this winter.

If you want see good videos of both planes go to mountainmodels.com for the DS and e-flightline.com for the FP.

Good Luck
uncas is offline Find More Posts by uncas
Old Dec 01, 2003, 09:07 PM
Londonderry, Vermont
Joined Nov 2003
98 Posts
Everyone thanks for everything. Even though from what I can see the Dandy Sport is an awsome plane, I should go with a foamie to learn on. I just think the Dandy will be too fast and agile for me at this point.

I have pretty much decided on the E-Starter. Then, when I can fly it with my eyes closed I am gonna buy that Dandy. Even with the foam wing I think it would be foolish to get it as a first plane. But like I said, it is deffinately number 2.

Thanks alot for all your help and when I get it in the air I'll tell you how it goes. Speaking of which, what do you do in the winter? I've seen pics on peoples' threads with skis but is that a smart thing to do?

Anyway thanks a lot.

Thatcher
thatchf137 is offline Find More Posts by thatchf137
Old Dec 01, 2003, 09:14 PM
Brunswick, Ohio
Joined Aug 2003
5,736 Posts
uncas You'll love the FunnyPark with a brushless. Go with the MPjet 2535 it's $50 and it will give you the needed weight in the nose (the FunnyPark was designed to use a sp400 motor which weighs more then the 300c that they are shipping with) I have the FP with MPjet and LOVE it!!
BrunswickOH is offline Find More Posts by BrunswickOH