HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 26, 2012, 09:59 AM
United States, TN
Joined Mar 2011
1,414 Posts
Discussion
Icon A5 - How many Different Foam Versions Are There?

How many different electric foam versions of the Icon A5 are there? Are any of them considered to be the best of the lot?

Thank you!
itsme2 is online now Find More Posts by itsme2
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 26, 2012, 09:10 PM
AMA 125691
Jacksonville Florida
Joined Jul 2002
2,240 Posts
Foam Icon a5

3 that I know of. Hobbyking has 2 different ones and then Parkzone has one.
wmcneal is offline Find More Posts by wmcneal
Old Sep 29, 2012, 11:00 PM
When pigs fly rc
USA, NY, Chester
Joined Apr 2008
2,464 Posts
Do they all do the tail wag like my parkzone does. I love my parkzone icon but that wag makes me nervous.
rich
rcrich is online now Find More Posts by rcrich
Old Oct 04, 2012, 02:41 PM
above us only sky
United States, SC, Greenville
Joined Jan 2006
826 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrich View Post
Do they all do the tail wag like my parkzone does. I love my parkzone icon but that wag makes me nervous.
rich
Don't be afraid. It's just happy.

Here's a forth version. China is all over this cool design.

http://nfdhobby.com/en/c_2.asp?id=1822
Renfield is online now Find More Posts by Renfield
Last edited by Renfield; Oct 04, 2012 at 08:33 PM.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 06:10 PM
Fuzzy Member
Renton WA
Joined Oct 2001
824 Posts
HK used to sell that version, or at least the little girl holding the plane is the same. It has a tail wag too from the videos I have seen. They may have updated the design a little, or just the paint scheme
lupy is online now Find More Posts by lupy
Old Oct 06, 2012, 07:51 AM
above us only sky
Joined Jan 2006
826 Posts
And here's another. They just keep popping up! Unfortunately for me, they get bigger, not smaller. I want the micro as3x version!

But this is a beauty. Built in retracts!

http://www.kmp.ca/product_info.php?p...654119806099dd

As I find more alternatives to the PZ Icon, it makes me wonder why PZ skimped on a steerable rudder. Most, if not all of the "cheap copies" have it. Flaps too.
Last edited by Renfield; Oct 06, 2012 at 07:59 AM.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 07:58 AM
United States, TN
Joined Mar 2011
1,414 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrich View Post
rich
My Parkzone A5 does not tail wag, but I think it's happy anyway...
itsme2 is online now Find More Posts by itsme2
Old Oct 08, 2012, 12:41 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,387 Posts
It seems there are countless versions of this model.

I would not say the PZ is closest to scale, but I do believe that HH and Parkzone is the only version licensed by Icon.
bsbauman is online now Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Bush Pilots- AK
Old Oct 09, 2012, 03:22 PM
Canada, AB, Sherwood Park
Joined Jan 2011
638 Posts
I too am waiting for a micro as3x version of the icon a5...I think that would be a blast!!! I have the parkzone one and its great, tail wags, makes it feel like its out of control but its not. Just gotta manage that throttle really well to get out of that situation when it gets into it.

By steerable rudder do you mean water rudder? If so, the plane does not need it in the least and in fact would probably hinder it. By not having it, you dont have wories about dragging against weeds geting caught up and most water rudders dont work that well anyway...from what I have read in the forums. The rudder itself on this plane is MORE than enough, you can taxi on the water like a jetski, it has great water handling characteristics.....and even taxiing on grass, I just did that last night and its super agile on the grass.
KTL13 is offline Find More Posts by KTL13
Old Oct 11, 2012, 11:31 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,387 Posts
IMO I am not at all inclined to buy a micro A5
I would imagine that tail wobble would be much more pronounced as the model gets scaled even smaller
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 11, 2012, 02:41 PM
Canada, AB, Sherwood Park
Joined Jan 2011
638 Posts
Thats why it will have AS3X!!! =)
KTL13 is offline Find More Posts by KTL13
Old Oct 12, 2012, 03:05 PM
above us only sky
Joined Jan 2006
826 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTL13 View Post
I too am waiting for a micro as3x version of the icon a5...I think that would be a blast!!! I have the parkzone one and its great, tail wags, makes it feel like its out of control but its not. Just gotta manage that throttle really well to get out of that situation when it gets into it.

By steerable rudder do you mean water rudder? If so, the plane does not need it in the least and in fact would probably hinder it. By not having it, you dont have wories about dragging against weeds geting caught up and most water rudders dont work that well anyway...from what I have read in the forums. The rudder itself on this plane is MORE than enough, you can taxi on the water like a jetski, it has great water handling characteristics.....and even taxiing on grass, I just did that last night and its super agile on the grass.
It does handle really well as is, but in windy conditions a water rudder would be superior. I have flipped it in the wind trying to get back to the boat at minimum speed.

AS3X would totally eliminate the tail wag for the whiners.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 11:36 PM
Horizon Hobby Employee
Mahomet, Illinois
Joined Aug 2007
2,256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbauman View Post
It seems there are countless versions of this model.

I would not say the PZ is closest to scale, but I do believe that HH and Parkzone is the only version licensed by Icon.
And along with that license came the full scale 3D CAD, from which we made our version. No question the ParkZone airplane is the closest to scale. We did have to make some changes to get a good-flying airplane, but because we started with the actual full-size loft our version is going to be the closest to scale.

The hard part is determining "scale model of what?" The non-flying, full size display model (the airplane with the silver paint job)? The flying prototype with the simple white paint job? Whatever state the design was in at the time ICON sent us the CAD is what we modeled. At that time, they had chosen to remove the flaps from the airplane. Since then they have reversed their decision and decided the flaps will be on the production airplane after all. And since we froze the design on the ParkZone bird, they have pressed forward and made some more changes. The spin-resistant wing is one significant change, although any difference is barely noticeable at this scale.

ICON was involved with us from the beginning. You can say what you will about the trim scheme, the handling qualities, the pricing, the availability - whatever - but the scale fidelity on the ParkZone version is likely better than any of the others that have had to rely on photos and 2D drawings only to generate their shapes.
Dave Eichstedt is offline Find More Posts by Dave Eichstedt
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 14, 2012, 07:59 AM
above us only sky
Joined Jan 2006
826 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Eichstedt View Post
And along with that license came the full scale 3D CAD, from which we made our version. No question the ParkZone airplane is the closest to scale. We did have to make some changes to get a good-flying airplane, but because we started with the actual full-size loft our version is going to be the closest to scale.

The hard part is determining "scale model of what?" The non-flying, full size display model (the airplane with the silver paint job)? The flying prototype with the simple white paint job? Whatever state the design was in at the time ICON sent us the CAD is what we modeled. At that time, they had chosen to remove the flaps from the airplane. Since then they have reversed their decision and decided the flaps will be on the production airplane after all. And since we froze the design on the ParkZone bird, they have pressed forward and made some more changes. The spin-resistant wing is one significant change, although any difference is barely noticeable at this scale.

ICON was involved with us from the beginning. You can say what you will about the trim scheme, the handling qualities, the pricing, the availability - whatever - but the scale fidelity on the ParkZone version is likely better than any of the others that have had to rely on photos and 2D drawings only to generate their shapes.
And what an awesome plane it is!!! Thats why I have two. Odd that it WILL spin easily, considering what the full-sized Icon has achieved. But as you point out, it is a work in progress. Considering how easily the silver paint comes off, I'd say mostly white was a good choice.

So will the micro as3x version have a different paint scheme???
Old Oct 16, 2012, 12:03 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,387 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Eichstedt View Post

Thank you for confirming the Icon info; I was pretty sure you all had coordinated your efforts with Icon, but did not know for sure...

What a plane! I look forward to seeing many more float planes come out of HH
RCG Plus Member