HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 26, 2012, 08:50 AM
United Kingdom, Bracknell
Joined Nov 2000
12,040 Posts
Discussion
Does removing the stock landing leg weaken a DJI frame arm?

I'd like to remove (or at least trim) the landing legs from the front two booms of my F550, to stop them appearing in the camera's field of view. I'm using a separate landing gear under the centre plate, obviously

That triangulated stock landing leg must brace the motor plate to the rest of the arm, to some extent. Does anybody know if this is significant?

If I get time I'm planning to clamp a stock leg upside down and hang a 1kg weight to the motor mount, measuring any deflection. Then remove the tip part of the landing leg and repeat. Finally remove all of the leg and repeat.

Any thoughts? Slightly restricting the gimbal pitch range would be preferable to having the motors come off in flight
Bill Glover is offline Find More Posts by Bill Glover
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 28, 2012, 07:13 PM
United Kingdom, Bracknell
Joined Nov 2000
12,040 Posts
OK so I did my testing.

The answer is that the DJI 450/550 arm does not bend significantly more with the stock landing leg completely removed. With a 2 kg weight hung from the motor plate you're talking about fractions of a millimetre ... less than I could measure accurately. So I'll certainly remove them from the front booms ... possibly the others too. Removing the leg saves 5.5 grams ... so that would be 33 grams in total on a 550.

Out of interest the black arms I have are about a gram heavier than the white ones, and subjectively seem a little stiffer. I used a white one for the test.
Bill Glover is offline Find More Posts by Bill Glover