HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 26, 2012, 01:22 AM
Joined Feb 2008
53 Posts
Discussion
DJI F450 Flipping over on take off

Hello,

I got a brand new NAZA F450 kit (dji ESC, dji motors, all original parts) but when I try to take off is flipping over to the ground.

I've read a lot and so confused right now about FC nose direction, ESC-NAZA connection order....etc

I've checked prop direction twice and everything's ok...
Here's some pictures of my F450.

Name: 20120926_073135.jpg
Views: 124
Size: 224.0 KB
Description:
Name: 20120926_073214.jpg
Views: 114
Size: 177.8 KB
Description:
Name: 20120926_073250.jpg
Views: 110
Size: 200.8 KB
Description:

I hope you help me. Thanks.
ozues34 is offline Find More Posts by ozues34
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 26, 2012, 01:50 AM
Joined May 2012
587 Posts
I have had something not go right like this a time or so first off you should disconnect the controller and all that and re plug in every thing making sure its all done right double check all the motor directions test all the motors and esc's make sure the ESC's are calibrated to the controller... Hope this helps
gitit20 is offline Find More Posts by gitit20
Old Sep 26, 2012, 02:26 AM
Joined Feb 2008
53 Posts
ok...but I already check everything twice... Have you seen in picture if FC is right faced considering white is the front?

My ESCs are DJI and manual says that is not neccesary to calibrate them. Is it right?
Old Sep 26, 2012, 02:28 AM
Mmmmmmm!
Kingdom of Sweden, Dalarna County, Sater
Joined Oct 2011
3,352 Posts
Before you fly the first time, either hold it over your head or put your foot on it and test all the inputs. You have to make sure the right motors spin up when you move the stick around. It's a simple test which will tell you if it responds properly and if the props are spinning the right way.

Also, avoid putting a large payload on that quad. The stock props aren't the best and can break if the quad is too heavy.

EDIT: And yes, if the M1-M6 ports are facing the flight direction, then it's OK. And yes, the DJI ESCs are plug-and-play and do not need to be calibrated.
WiseDuck is offline Find More Posts by WiseDuck
Old Sep 26, 2012, 02:33 AM
Joined Feb 2008
53 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseDuck View Post
Before you fly the first time, either hold it over your head or put your foot on it and test all the inputs. You have to make sure the right motors spin up when you move the stick around. It's a simple test which will tell you if it responds properly and if the props are spinning the right way.

Also, avoid putting a large payload on that quad. The stock props aren't the best and can break if the quad is too heavy.

EDIT: And yes, if the M1-M6 ports are facing the flight direction, then it's OK. And yes, the DJI ESCs are plug-and-play and do not need to be calibrated.
OK I'll try.
This is my first take off with F450 and has no payload just the basis.
The thing is that I have calibrated my DX6i with DJI software and thro is ok, so I just take off moving thro stick...I accelerate and suddenly....flips over violently....
Old Sep 26, 2012, 02:40 AM
Mmmmmmm!
Joined Oct 2011
3,352 Posts
If possible, post a video of the problem. Also, don't try to take off in ATTI mode. Naza should be mounted using the thin 3M tape etc etc
Old Sep 26, 2012, 02:43 AM
Joined Feb 2008
53 Posts
Quote:
If possible, post a video of the problem. Also, don't try to take off in ATTI mode. Naza should be mounted using the thin 3M tape etc etc
Yep, I used 3M tape but I'll try to take off in manual mode....I thought that ATTI was more safety....

I'll hope everything is OK...
Old Sep 26, 2012, 03:06 AM
Mmmmmmm!
Joined Oct 2011
3,352 Posts
ATTI mode can sometimes confuse people. See, in order to take off safely you need to move the throttle over 60% quickly, let it rise, then go back down to 50% so it holds the altitude. Otherwise it'll just bounce around and never get off the ground.

ATTI mode works like so: Throttle at 50% = Hold current altitude. Throttle under 50% = Drop down slowly. Throttle over 50% = Rise slowly.

ATTI mode is good for learning, but like I said, the takeoff is somewhat unusual.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 03:20 AM
Joined Feb 2008
53 Posts
Quote:
ATTI mode can sometimes confuse people. See, in order to take off safely you need to move the throttle over 60% quickly, let it rise, then go back down to 50% so it holds the altitude. Otherwise it'll just bounce around and never get off the ground.

ATTI mode works like so: Throttle at 50% = Hold current altitude. Throttle under 50% = Drop down slowly. Throttle over 50% = Rise slowly.

ATTI mode is good for learning, but like I said, the takeoff is somewhat unusual.
Thanks Wiseduck, you're really wise as I see.
Today I'll dismount everything again and take off in manual mode.... let's see what happen....
Old Sep 26, 2012, 05:50 AM
United States, VA, Chesterfield
Joined Apr 2008
154 Posts
Hi -
I just rebuilt an XAircraft Hexa that I bought used from this list. It showed up smashed courtesy of UPS. Anyway, I had to do a complete rebuild with a new frame.

The first few flights were exactly as you describe. I would power up the Hexa and it would immediately flip right over on its back. I'm using a WooKong-M. Be VERY careful that you have:

1) The copter configured properly in software. WooKong gives a bunch of different options in their set-up menu
2) That the motors are turning the right direction given the orientation of the MC. With mine, the #1 motor was to the right of the nose and #2 clockwise of #1, so on, so forth. Each motor on my set-up needs to turn counter its neighbor.

I checked each motor individually but only connecting one ESC and spinning the motor up SLOWLY on the bench. You're checking for two things: #1 that the motor turns correctly given your set up diagram and #2 that the prop is on properly.

Good luck!
peter.braswell is offline Find More Posts by peter.braswell
Old Sep 26, 2012, 09:45 AM
AMA 754
Phoenix area
Joined Apr 2004
1,613 Posts
If you built your FW450 frame according to the manual, with the red arms in front, then your NAZA is mounted backwards. Your second photo shows the M1-M6 end of the NAZA toward the white arms.
BobRCnut is online now Find More Posts by BobRCnut
Old Sep 26, 2012, 09:53 AM
Joined Feb 2008
53 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRCnut View Post
If you built your FW450 frame according to the manual, with the red arms in front, then your NAZA is mounted backwards. Your second photo shows the M1-M6 end of the NAZA toward the white arms.
This should be correct ?
M1..M2..M3...is up and A E R T ...is down

Name: Untitled.jpg
Views: 174
Size: 21.1 KB
Description:

front is the direction of flight....
Old Sep 26, 2012, 09:59 AM
United States, MI, Rochester Hills
Joined Aug 2012
280 Posts
Correct. motor outputs from Naza facing front (toward red arms)
edugimeno is offline Find More Posts by edugimeno
Old Sep 26, 2012, 10:02 AM
United States, MI, Rochester Hills
Joined Aug 2012
280 Posts
Anyway, about flight modes. In my experience, MANUAL takeoff can be tricky whithout the experience, beucase it usually will need some manual quick correction to avoid a tip over, and ATTI take off has its own issues because as WiseDuck said, if you don't push "hard" the throttle for the first 2 seconds, it will stay bouncing on the ground, but anyway it usually manages to be more flat when taking off in ATTI mode so it could be tested as well...
edugimeno is offline Find More Posts by edugimeno
Old Sep 26, 2012, 10:04 AM
Joined Feb 2008
53 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edugimeno View Post
Correct. motor outputs from Naza facing front (toward red arms)
This afternoon I'll re-build again NAZA following those steps...I really hope it wil work...