SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Sandancer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 01:32 PM
"Auntie Samantha"
USA, MO, Clever
Joined Dec 2009
4,737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleW View Post
So will PW-RC be carrying these? I thought he was phasing out of FMS product.
Thanks, Walter
I'm not sure what the relationship between Phillip and FMS is now? But FMS did have him ship these to me. It was also noted on the 1700 Corsair thread that FMS was using Phillip to send the new V2 Corsair to Aros/Todd when it was ready.
Sandancer is online now Find More Posts by Sandancer
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 27, 2012, 01:35 PM
Registered Snoozer
San Francisco, CA, USA
Joined Jul 1999
6,142 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hunt View Post
I have been relying on the auto-shut-off feature in the 514's from some time now. mainly because they act fast and don't draw a lot of current. However... this is NOT the case with other manufacturers or larger units. They can draw a LOT of current when not allowed to cycle to the limit switches and they take way too long to shut-off. they can certainly fail the BEC in many ESC's if allowed to do so.

it will be very interesting to see what sandancer comes up with on these new units as far as running current (lifting a typical wheel/strut), stall current and how long before auto shut-off.

Tom

Yes, Tom, on your advice, I am happily using the 514's in my FW-190 and relying on the auto-shut-off feature. Hence my question about these new units. Thanks for your cautionary advice. We will await sandancer's figures.
Neil Morse is online now Find More Posts by Neil Morse
Old Sep 27, 2012, 01:36 PM
"Auntie Samantha"
USA, MO, Clever
Joined Dec 2009
4,737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by struggleforlife View Post
Looking very good.

Curious about the price and the rotating version.

I am thinking these are too big for the 1400mm birds. In most of these the 514's are pretty much the max they can take.
No price yet, and no mention of a rotating (Corsair) version.

I think these will fit nicely in the 1400mm planes, much easier then the PZ-V2's.

P.S. I just U/L some additional pics showing how FMS configured a way to have the wires exit the unit resulting in a much lower profile (25mm) compared to the E-Flite's 32mm counting in that wire tie. Conclusion.....less foam removal.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Sandancer; Sep 27, 2012 at 01:55 PM.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 01:41 PM
"Auntie Samantha"
USA, MO, Clever
Joined Dec 2009
4,737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Morse View Post
Are these 90 degree units? Your test bench video shows less than 90 degrees, but is that a function of how you mounted the units in the "wing?" Are they going to be available in 85 degree like the eflites? Or is this not an issue because you can just adjust the mount and rely on the auto-cut off for the up position? Thanks in advance for your answers.

Neil
I noted that in the vid. too Neil. It was just the angle I shot at. They are at 90. I shot a pic illustrating that point, but forgot to U/L it. Thanks for reminding me as I thought that was a critical point to make.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 27, 2012, 01:47 PM
"Auntie Samantha"
USA, MO, Clever
Joined Dec 2009
4,737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt View Post

Don't know if there's a better source for 5mm stock(and don't know shipping cost if not a Amazon Prime member), but I'm using this on my 514s:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o05_s00_i00
Perfect fit in the large steel trunnions that fit 514s.

Thanks for that link Kurt. I've been using 5mm motor drive shafts for my strut pins, but if these are as tempered they might just be a cheaper alternative?
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 27, 2012, 01:59 PM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,847 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by struggleforlife View Post
Looking very good.

Curious about the price and the rotating version.

I am thinking these are too big for the 1400mm birds. In most of these the 514's are pretty much the max they can take.
Think their main concern for making these retracts was the weight of the current and future 1.7m class planes for FMS as an option. Not that these wont work on a 1.4m bird, but I'm sure more mods than the 1.7m eflites 60-120 will need to be done to get these to fit.

Gary am I correct that these will not be drop in on 1.4m? And are they drop in w/o mods for 1.7m?
v8truckin is online now Find More Posts by v8truckin
Old Sep 27, 2012, 02:00 PM
Champagne Supernova
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Jul 2010
2,023 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
purdy!

How much play does the wheel have when extended?
The 514's with metal trunnion I just installed in my V6 FMS Mustang are better than stock, but still have about 1/8"-1/4" play (at the wheel on the end of a 145mm long strut, bit more side to side than front/back) in both side/side and forward/back direction.
This is due to minor slop in the trunnion-to-casing and trunnion to worm-drive-bar.
Are these better in that regard?
Yeh I have the same issue on the T-28 and its not good for a nose gear. Too much slop, needs to tight.
FlyHighSelllow is offline Find More Posts by FlyHighSelllow
Old Sep 27, 2012, 02:02 PM
Champagne Supernova
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Jul 2010
2,023 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandancer View Post
These came with 2 parts packages, one labeled P-47 and the other labeled P-51, with the included (4) 4mm grub screws. They even included the strut pins.
I was going to ask if they included the needed 5mm strut pin. Can you show of pic of what they are providing ?
FlyHighSelllow is offline Find More Posts by FlyHighSelllow
Old Sep 27, 2012, 02:06 PM
Upstanding Member
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Sep 2003
1,982 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for that link Kurt. I've been using 5mm motor drive shafts for my strut pins, but if these are as tempered they might just be a cheaper alternative?
They supposedly are "anneal tempered", and judging by how hard I had to whack the end sticking out of my vice with a 3lb sledge to get the bend in them for my P-51 I believe it!
Kurt is offline Find More Posts by Kurt
Old Sep 27, 2012, 02:22 PM
"Auntie Samantha"
USA, MO, Clever
Joined Dec 2009
4,737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hunt View Post
I have been relying on the auto-shut-off feature in the 514's from some time now. mainly because they act fast and don't draw a lot of current. However... this is NOT the case with other manufacturers or larger units. They can draw a LOT of current when not allowed to cycle to the limit switches and they take way too long to shut-off. they can certainly fail the BEC in many ESC's if allowed to do so.

it will be very interesting to see what sandancer comes up with on these new units as far as running current (lifting a typical wheel/strut), stall current and how long before auto shut-off.

Tom
I'm still running some tests, I had to abort them yesterday due to weather conditions here, but I did manage to test the auto cut-off the night before.

After running 6 tests, both up & down, I concluded that the FMS units behave much like the E-Flites. They both have about the same torque and do take the same time to shut off, much slower then the 514's for instance. They deploy at a much slower rate then the E-Flites by 2 sec. (which I like), but they still shut down about the same rate.

I plan to invert my E-Tract test bench next, and see how they behave lifting a variety of strut/wheel configurations. I don't expect any complications as these suckers have a lot of torque!
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 27, 2012, 02:38 PM
No Hangar Queens!
Maryland
Joined May 2009
1,704 Posts
subbed to see developments
Willsonman is offline Find More Posts by Willsonman
Old Sep 27, 2012, 03:22 PM
"Auntie Samantha"
USA, MO, Clever
Joined Dec 2009
4,737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8truckin View Post
Think their main concern for making these retracts was the weight of the current and future 1.7m class planes for FMS as an option. Not that these wont work on a 1.4m bird, but I'm sure more mods than the 1.7m eflites 60-120 will need to be done to get these to fit.

Gary am I correct that these will not be drop in on 1.4m? And are they drop in w/o mods for 1.7m?
Not to quick there Grasshooper! It's my understanding from FMS that these new E-Tracts were designed as much for the 1400mm as well as the 1700mm birds. Because of lackluster sales, shipping restrictions and costs etc. FMS has refocused their efforts back to the 1400mm planes.

If these are used to replace the 716's, then yes, they are a drop-in replacement not to mention a .5oz. reduction. The bolt patterns are identical.

As for the 514's, the Alums are 8.2mm longer and have a different bolt pattern along with a .3oz increase in weight. I'll shoot some side by sides with the 514's and get them posted as soon as possible. (I neglected to do that for some reason?)
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 27, 2012, 03:23 PM
"Auntie Samantha"
USA, MO, Clever
Joined Dec 2009
4,737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHighSelllow View Post
I was going to ask if they included the needed 5mm strut pin. Can you show of pic of what they are providing ?
I will get that done later today.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 27, 2012, 03:31 PM
"Auntie Samantha"
USA, MO, Clever
Joined Dec 2009
4,737 Posts
I was informed that FMS is monitoring my blog, so if you have any additional questions or suggestions feel free to post them here! Just keep in mind that this page is devoted to their new Aluminum E-Tracts so keep posts contained to that subject matter. Thanks!

Gary
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 27, 2012, 03:40 PM
The Netherlands, LI, Gennep
Joined Feb 2011
1,880 Posts
Quote:
Not to quick there Grasshooper! It's my understanding from FMS that these new E-Tracts were designed as much for the 1400mm as well as the 1700mm birds. Because of lackluster sales, shipping restrictions and costs etc. FMS has refocused their efforts back to the 1400mm planes.

If these are used to replace the 716's, then yes, they are a drop-in replacement not to mention a .5oz. reduction. The bolt patterns are identical.

As for the 514's, the Alums are 8.2mm longer and have a different bolt pattern along with a .3oz increase in weight. I'll shoot some side by sides with the 514's and get them posted as soon as possible. (I neglected to do that for some reason?)

It would be 'logical' that these are a drop-in for the 1700's. Which would imply they arent a drop-in for the 1400's. Ofcourse, everything can be modded.
But I'll await the comparison between 514 and these metal ones... That will give me a better idea.

Dave
struggleforlife is offline Find More Posts by struggleforlife