SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 25, 2012, 10:23 PM
Joined Mar 2011
1,286 Posts
Question
McCoy .049 Diesel

Hi Guys, a fiend of mine gived to me an old mcCoy .049 engine, and i want to try to start it, but i live en mexico city and itīs impossible to find This kind of fuel, so, iīve read about make your own mixture, but, itīs hard to find the components, so...
i have:

Castor oil (from drugstore)
Sulfuric ether (from drugstore)
Diesel (from Car fuel station)

Are this components ok?

Imposible to find Engine Starter...

here the box of engines, the mcCoy is on the corner.

Thanks for the help!
colibriguitars is online now Find More Posts by colibriguitars
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 25, 2012, 11:30 PM
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,489 Posts
The McCoy in the corner is a bit hard to see, but I think it looks to have a compression adjuster on the top making it a model diesel.

Get hold of kerosene instead of using the auto diesel you have.
Mix 1 part of the kero, 1 part of the ether and 1 part of the castor oil. Shake it up well.

You will need to mount the engine firmly and will need a propeller......probably an 8X4 will do the job.
You will also need a small tank with a line from it to the carb. on the engine.

Hold finger over carb. air intake and slowly turn the engine over anti clockwise facing it.....this will draw the fuel to the carb.
Prime into the exhaust slot with a little fuel and slowly turn the engine over again.
If it turns okay get flicking hard with the needle valve open about 3 turns and SLOWLY turn down the compression adjuster and it should fire, and with a bit of luck keep running.

The other engines are glo engines and you will need glo fuel. A good mix is 25% nitro methane, 25% castor, 50% methanol.
You will need a 1.5V battery to light up the plugs and a 6x4 should be about right to get them going.

Good luck, and let's know how you go.
gossie is online now Find More Posts by gossie
Old Sep 25, 2012, 11:33 PM
Reduce the drama...
USA, OR, Damascus
Joined Apr 2004
4,043 Posts
Some links to making diesel fuel for models
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1295580
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1226065
http://www.colinusher.info/Model%20Aircraft/fuel.html
rick.benjamin is offline Find More Posts by rick.benjamin
Old Sep 26, 2012, 10:00 PM
Joined Mar 2011
1,286 Posts
Hi!!

It started... but after some seconds it getīs off, it looks like the fuel is not getting to the carb... the fuel tank is on level. Tomorrow i will close the entire engine and check the needle .

About my coxes donīt have any problem with them, just this mcīcoy... never before had in my hands a diesel engine.... it doesnīt keep running, but i already love it, no more expensive fuel, blowed glows or checking batteries!
Old Sep 26, 2012, 11:15 PM
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,489 Posts
If it's running then shutting down is it leaning out?
Try opening the needle one turn, and a bit more compression might keep it running.

What size prop. are you using and what fuel did you mix?
Old Sep 27, 2012, 01:07 AM
Joined Mar 2011
1,286 Posts
Hi, now iīm using an 6x4 propeller, the next week i will get a 8x3. iīm using my mixture... 33% petroleum, 33 % castor oil and 33% ether....
Old Sep 27, 2012, 05:11 AM
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,489 Posts
You'll find the 8 x 3 better I'm sure. But change your mix to kero instead of petrol.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 08:19 AM
Edubarca
Colombia, South America
Joined Oct 2009
1,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by colibriguitars View Post
Hi Guys, a fiend of mine gived to me an old mcCoy .049 engine, and i want to try to start it, but i live en mexico city and itīs impossible to find This kind of fuel, so, iīve read about make your own mixture, but, itīs hard to find the components, so...
i have:

Castor oil (from drugstore)
Sulfuric ether (from drugstore)
Diesel (from Car fuel station)

Are this components ok?

Imposible to find Engine Starter...

here the box of engines, the mcCoy is on the corner.

Thanks for the help!
Hola sólo el saludo en espaņol, soy de Colombia y tengo problemas con el combustible diesel. Write to me directly and perhaps we can solve the problem somehow. Sorry guys for salute in Spanish but we are both from Latin America. I told him I also have problems with diesel fuel. and to get in contact with me so we can discuss the matter,
Edubarca is offline Find More Posts by Edubarca
Old Sep 27, 2012, 08:42 AM
Southern Spain
Joined Nov 2003
231 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gossie View Post
You'll find the 8 x 3 better I'm sure. But change your mix to kero instead of petrol.
Gossie,
This a name thing, in many European country's ( and most likely Mexico) petroleum is what you call kero - which I believe is Aussie for Kerosene, or Paraffin in the UK.. I imagine in Mexico, what you call Petrol is called Gas , Gasolina or Benzina. In any case the 33/33/33 mix quoted by our friend Colibriguitars is correct.
John
John Moore is offline Find More Posts by John Moore
Old Sep 27, 2012, 09:11 AM
Edubarca
Colombia, South America
Joined Oct 2009
1,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Moore View Post
Gossie,
This a name thing, in many European country's ( and most likely Mexico) petroleum is what you call kero - which I believe is Aussie for Kerosene, or Paraffin in the UK.. I imagine in Mexico, what you call Petrol is called Gas , Gasolina or Benzina. In any case the 33/33/33 mix quoted by our friend Colibriguitars is correct.
John
In Colombia, at least: Kerosene = Petróleo; Paraffin = wax, The word Benzina is not used here. Gasoline is Gasolina which has a 10% ethyl alchohol for automoblies. Who needs Spanish lessons?
Old Sep 27, 2012, 04:08 PM
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Moore View Post
Gossie,
John
It's all a bit tricky to say the least.

I can remember as a young kid my Dad bring home an ED Mk2 Penny Slot and mixing fuel using paraffin in the mix and the engine would not run.
He soon realized paraffin in the UK is kerosene here.

Kerosene here is used for heating and also JetA1 as used in jet aircraft is much the same.
I would think kerosene as we know it could be purchased from a hardware store or perhaps a gas station as it is here.
If you are near an airport or have a friend working at an airport you may be able to obtain some JetA1 when the tanks of the jet aircraft are checked for water in the fuel.

Suggest not to use gasolina or benzina in the mix......I'm fully aware of those words as I've been a "petrol head" as well as an aeromodeller for years.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 05:29 PM
Edubarca
Colombia, South America
Joined Oct 2009
1,176 Posts
Agreed, Gossie. Jet fuel is the same kerosene but with a much better quality, I've been told. Gas stations sell diesel fuel but some say it is not as high quality as jet fuel.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 10:09 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,936 Posts
I had a McCoy .049 diesel and sorta remember that it had a contra-piston with a teflon o-ring that had a limited life. If yours is like new, it may be ok. I don't miss the smell of diesel fuel.

Here's a long article about the McCoy .049 and .099 diesels. Toward the end is mention of replacing the high temp o-rings with commonly available "Viton" o-rings.

http://modelenginenews.org/ad/mccoy_diesels.html
E-Challenged is online now Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Last edited by E-Challenged; Sep 27, 2012 at 10:48 PM.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 12:24 AM
United Kingdom, Scotland, Fife
Joined May 1999
2,843 Posts
Yes, those McCoys have little flat "O" rings in them that can go bad and cause air leaks and bad running. I have probably 100 or so of the the rings if you need any. I sold my McCoy diesel a long time ago - probably shouldn't have! I think the rings I have go on the base of the cylinder and not the contra piston.
Ian Easton is offline Find More Posts by Ian Easton
Old Sep 28, 2012, 11:54 AM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,936 Posts
My poor dad, pointing to the needle valve, stuck is finger in the spinning prop. Some memories stick with you for decades.
E-Challenged is online now Find More Posts by E-Challenged