HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 25, 2012, 11:12 PM
United States, CA, Rancho Cordova
Joined Jan 2011
3,852 Posts
Discussion
Motor Timing

just had to come here and ask a question that I never got a good answer for. Is there a formula to figure out the best brushless motor timing. Like the number of poles the motor has Xs the number of wraps? Or do you just play with it till you find what ever feels like its the best. Or do you check the heat and go for the lowest motor temp? I always put mine on the default setting
Thanks
barnstorm100 is offline Find More Posts by barnstorm100
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 26, 2012, 03:03 AM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,438 Posts
Timing is one of those things that causes more confusion than it's worth. If the motor runs smoothly, don't worry about it.

All it does is affect the ESC's commutation cycle advance relative to the rotor position. A higher timing advance means that the permanent-magnet rotor is trailing farther behind the electromagnetic fields that are governed by the ESC, which tends to increase RPMs at the expense of additional current/heat. If the timing setting is too high, the ESC can get ahead of the motor's physical position which results in skipping or jerking.
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Sep 26, 2012, 06:38 AM
Commerce Township, MI
Joined Aug 2001
4,499 Posts
Here is an article on timing:

http://www.theampeer.org/timing/timing.htm
Ken Myers is offline Find More Posts by Ken Myers
Old Sep 26, 2012, 10:49 AM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jan 2007
5,309 Posts
The monkey wrench in the whole thing is the timing is set by firmware in the ESC. Each manufacturer may do it slightly differently so there is no way to develop a 'formula' that matches all the variations.

You will find motors that will not run on some ESC and run fine on others. Timing can be an issue on some higher RPM motors. We get a lot of "why does my motor screech?" questions.
flydiver is offline Find More Posts by flydiver
Old Sep 26, 2012, 10:30 PM
United States, CA, Rancho Cordova
Joined Jan 2011
3,852 Posts
Thanks for the info
barnstorm100 is offline Find More Posts by barnstorm100
Old Sep 30, 2012, 05:01 PM
Joined Jan 2011
241 Posts
What cause out runner motor to screech severely if throttle is advanced to fast. How can it be corrected. I have older Atlas 5020/30 and I have tried all to esc timing positions to no avail. Motor does just fine if advanced at a moderate rate.
dmyers0403 is online now Find More Posts by dmyers0403
Old Sep 30, 2012, 05:27 PM
Joined Jan 2007
5,309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmyers0403 View Post
What cause out runner motor to screech severely if throttle is advanced to fast. How can it be corrected. I have older Atlas 5020/30 and I have tried all to esc timing positions to no avail. Motor does just fine if advanced at a moderate rate.
Screeching is the motor getting out of synch with the ESC. Generally advancing the timing will help, IF you are NOT over propped. Prop down > try again.

If that doesn't work, stay propped down and try a different brand of ESC. Occasionally there is just an ESC + motor mismatch.

What is the claimed KV of the motor, weight, and what prop(s) have you tried?
Old Sep 30, 2012, 10:49 PM
Joined Jan 2011
241 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flydiver View Post
Screeching is the motor getting out of synch with the ESC. Generally advancing the timing will help, IF you are NOT over propped. Prop down > try again.

If that doesn't work, stay propped down and try a different brand of ESC. Occasionally there is just an ESC + motor mismatch.

What is the claimed KV of the motor, weight, and what prop(s) have you tried?
Specs: 215Kv, 10S lipo, 10-35Amp max eff., 50A max, 19x12 or 20x13 prop
I used Sentinial (HK) 100A-12SEsc running 10SLipoly on 16x8x3 props set on high timing
set up is on a 132inch Wingspan Lancaster (4 of em)
Flys well just can't jamb throttle, not that we need to butbjust curious why
dmyers0403 is online now Find More Posts by dmyers0403
Last edited by dmyers0403; Sep 30, 2012 at 10:51 PM. Reason: Tried bigger props but it was worse and amps are in proper range with the 16x8x3 and they fit the plane scale wise
Old Oct 01, 2012, 12:26 AM
Joined Jan 2007
5,309 Posts
You are out of my realm with those kind of motor, batteries, and props. Principal is still the same I would think. Prop down. Try again.
Then try a different ESC.
What ever specs are claimed for them .....don't believe them, especially HK stuff. Reduce by at least 20% and work from there.