New Products Flash Sale
Thread Tools
Old Oct 05, 2012, 12:10 AM
ARUP is offline
Find More Posts by ARUP
Registered User
Joined Mar 2010
2,605 Posts
eeee
ARUP is offline Find More Posts by ARUP
Last edited by ARUP; Jan 22, 2016 at 06:51 PM.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 05, 2012, 07:21 PM
OkiThumper is offline
Find More Posts by OkiThumper
Closed Account
Joined Feb 2006
433 Posts
Wow, that is one sharp looking Ringmaster Jr and ditto for the Baby Ring!
OkiThumper is offline Find More Posts by OkiThumper
Old Oct 05, 2012, 11:08 PM
ARUP is offline
Find More Posts by ARUP
Registered User
Joined Mar 2010
2,605 Posts
nks,
ARUP is offline Find More Posts by ARUP
Last edited by ARUP; Jan 22, 2016 at 06:51 PM.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 10:00 AM
OkiThumper is offline
Find More Posts by OkiThumper
Closed Account
Joined Feb 2006
433 Posts
Don't know much about job hunting in Lubbock. We go shopping there on occasion because there's more stores there than in Clovis.

I did a search on the Brotherhood site, but didn't find the RM build you were referring to, but did not find the 'RM with a twist or two thread' unless it is your new RM Jr. I noticed the R/C carb on the OS Max .10 engine. Did you add throttle or just wire it full open?
OkiThumper is offline Find More Posts by OkiThumper
Old Oct 06, 2012, 08:02 PM
ARUP is offline
Find More Posts by ARUP
Registered User
Joined Mar 2010
2,605 Posts
per-
ARUP is offline Find More Posts by ARUP
Last edited by ARUP; Jan 22, 2016 at 06:51 PM.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 12:09 AM
OkiThumper is offline
Find More Posts by OkiThumper
Closed Account
Joined Feb 2006
433 Posts
ARUP, perhaps you were thinking of Carlsbad (further south) regarding the Caverns or Grants (further west) regarding the ice caves? I remember the OS Pet engines. They were nice legacy engines. Back around 1973, I put in a mail order to Hobby Shack (now Hobby People). It was for an OS Pet .06 CL as an upgrade engine to a Goldberg Jr. Falcon. They were out and they substituted an OS Max .10 R/C baffle piston engine. Now that is a definite upgrade for an underpowered .049 plane!

I've got an AC Gilbert .11 Thunderhead. reserving it for a 26" wingspan Pilot Cessna 150. I'm not sure it would be able to power a Ringmaster Jr.
OkiThumper is offline Find More Posts by OkiThumper
Old Oct 07, 2012, 09:37 AM
Jim Kraft is offline
Find More Posts by Jim Kraft
Registered User
Jim Kraft's Avatar
The middle of Kansas
Joined Jan 2005
814 Posts
Wow ARUP; Great looking RIngmasters. But then we would not expect less from an R/C scale builder. You do have to watch out for the effect C/L can have on you. I flew R/C Pattern for 25 years, and then built a RIngmaster. I have been flying control line now for 18 years. LOL. Here is a picture of mine at Wichita's contest this year. It was taken by Elwyn Aud of Tulsa OK. He takes fabulous pictures of planes flying.
Jim Kraft is offline Find More Posts by Jim Kraft
Old Oct 07, 2012, 10:48 AM
JKinTX is offline
Find More Posts by JKinTX
Registered User
Joined Jul 2012
712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Kraft View Post
Wow ARUP; Great looking RIngmasters. But then we would not expect less from an R/C scale builder. You do have to watch out for the effect C/L can have on you. I flew R/C Pattern for 25 years, and then built a RIngmaster. I have been flying control line now for 18 years. LOL. Here is a picture of mine at Wichita's contest this year. It was taken by Elwyn Aud of Tulsa OK. He takes fabulous pictures of planes flying.
All very nice models.
Interestingly enough, Ring Jr is not exactly the same airplane as the big one if you look. Ring Jr wing has a straight leading edge as opposed to the taper on the big one, stab position is different too. I always thought the Jr a better flyer than the big one
JKinTX is offline Find More Posts by JKinTX
Old Oct 07, 2012, 12:35 PM
The Kiwi is offline
Find More Posts by The Kiwi
Old Timer
The Kiwi's Avatar
USA, TX, San Antonio
Joined Jun 2010
1,022 Posts
Nope. No LE taper on any of the hundred-plus, minimum, I've been up close with.

(No, not of mine, I've only had 5-6, and never built a single fullsize Ringmaster, never wanted to do so.)


Kiwi
The Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by The Kiwi
Old Oct 07, 2012, 03:27 PM
JKinTX is offline
Find More Posts by JKinTX
Registered User
Joined Jul 2012
712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkiThumper View Post
ARUP, perhaps you were thinking of Carlsbad (further south) regarding the Caverns or Grants (further west) regarding the ice caves? I remember the OS Pet engines. They were nice legacy engines. Back around 1973, I put in a mail order to Hobby Shack (now Hobby People). It was for an OS Pet .06 CL as an upgrade engine to a Goldberg Jr. Falcon. They were out and they substituted an OS Max .10 R/C baffle piston engine. Now that is a definite upgrade for an underpowered .049 plane!

I've got an AC Gilbert .11 Thunderhead. reserving it for a 26" wingspan Pilot Cessna 150. I'm not sure it would be able to power a Ringmaster Jr.
It will fly the Ring (built light!) long before it will the Cessna. Although a decently made motor, it and the companion .07- as with most sideports has all the power of a soggy tuna salad sandwich.
JKinTX is offline Find More Posts by JKinTX
Old Oct 08, 2012, 01:30 AM
OkiThumper is offline
Find More Posts by OkiThumper
Closed Account
Joined Feb 2006
433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKinTX View Post
It will fly the Ring (built light!) long before it will the Cessna. Although a decently made motor, it and the companion .07- as with most sideports has all the power of a soggy tuna salad sandwich.
Not sure what you mean by flying the Ring Jr (30 inch wingspan) versus the Pilot at 26 inches. Both Gilberts are AFAIK sub-piston induction carburetors. I gather the Fox .08 was similar. I heard power for the Fox was as you said for the Gilbert.

I'll know more when I break it in and try it. Then I'll find out if it is worth it.
OkiThumper is offline Find More Posts by OkiThumper
Old Oct 08, 2012, 11:53 AM
gcb is offline
gcb
Find More Posts by gcb
gcb
Registered User
Joined Sep 2008
154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKinTX View Post
All very nice models.
Interestingly enough, Ring Jr is not exactly the same airplane as the big one if you look. Ring Jr wing has a straight leading edge as opposed to the taper on the big one, stab position is different too. I always thought the Jr a better flyer than the big one
I have never seen a Ringmaster with a tapered LE.

George
gcb is offline Find More Posts by gcb
Last edited by gcb; Oct 08, 2012 at 12:00 PM.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 08:32 PM
JKinTX is offline
Find More Posts by JKinTX
Registered User
Joined Jul 2012
712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcb View Post
I have never seen a Ringmaster with a tapered LE.

George
Ah yes! Was thinking of the Mustang- not having built a full size Ring in over 40 years, it is amazing what tricks the mind plays in recalling old data. The stab position is different on the Jr though as I said: mid fuselage position on the Jr and on top on the big one.
JKinTX is offline Find More Posts by JKinTX
Last edited by JKinTX; Oct 08, 2012 at 08:47 PM.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 08:36 PM
JKinTX is offline
Find More Posts by JKinTX
Registered User
Joined Jul 2012
712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkiThumper View Post
Not sure what you mean by flying the Ring Jr (30 inch wingspan) versus the Pilot at 26 inches. Both Gilberts are AFAIK sub-piston induction carburetors. I gather the Fox .08 was similar. I heard power for the Fox was as you said for the Gilbert.

I'll know more when I break it in and try it. Then I'll find out if it is worth it.
They're sideports, just like the Fox Rocket .09, the Mills diesels, many ancient sparkies like the old O&R series, etc.
Wingspan has nothing to do with it, it's weight, mass, drag. Pilot is full fuse, correct?
JKinTX is offline Find More Posts by JKinTX
Old Oct 08, 2012, 10:21 PM
ARUP is offline
Find More Posts by ARUP
Registered User
Joined Mar 2010
2,605 Posts
erns...
ARUP is offline Find More Posts by ARUP
Last edited by ARUP; Jan 22, 2016 at 06:52 PM.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion 5th Annual Worldwide Ringmaster Fly-A-Thon 10/6-7/2012 jccrall Control Line 8 Oct 09, 2012 07:35 PM
Discussion A few pictures of my Ringmasters ControlLiner Control Line 3 May 05, 2012 06:34 PM
Sold Vintage Ringmaster Decal redball8 Aircraft - General - Miscellaneous (FS/W) 0 Mar 10, 2012 01:01 PM
For Sale VINTAGE STERLING RINGMASTER UC Kit rickj12 Aircraft - Fuel - Airplanes (FS/W) 0 Feb 29, 2012 09:54 AM
Control line Ringmaster Junior T_Hartigan Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 2 Sep 10, 2001 11:19 AM