HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 05, 2012, 12:10 AM
United States, KY, Taylorsville
Joined Mar 2010
1,700 Posts
Weeeeeeeee! Just a few loose ends and I'm done and ready for the 'Fly-A-Thon'! Tank got its mounting strap and vibration dampening with servo grommets. Wheels and LG finished. Just need glow plug, fuel tubing, wire throttle open and lead out connectors.
Hi The Kiwi- go ahead and post your pics here! I know you are a Flite Streak fan. We don't say those two words on the RM forums! lol
Hi OkiThumper- thanks for the downloads and stuff. Folks will find them handy. I glad you are enjoying this little build. I build scale RC mostly and these CL airplanes are a refreshing change. The Hellcat would make a nice CL airplane.
Hi Jim Kraft- hope you have many successful flights this weekend. Me and a buddy have three RM between us so that's at least three flights so long as the engines run! I hope to do about thirty flights Saturday.
ARUP is online now Find More Posts by ARUP
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 05, 2012, 07:21 PM
Closed Account
Joined Feb 2006
433 Posts
Wow, that is one sharp looking Ringmaster Jr and ditto for the Baby Ring!
OkiThumper is offline Find More Posts by OkiThumper
Old Oct 05, 2012, 11:08 PM
Joined Mar 2010
1,700 Posts
Thanks, man! I really appreciate it. The photos make them look better than they really are but at least I didn't 'airbrush' the defects! lol I lived in Lubbock for a few months checking out job prospects ~20 y/a that didn't work out. That is some flat country up there and perfect for CL and RC sailplanes! Check out my 'crazy' RM build on 'the Brotherhood' site. It has a few 'interesting' design features that may 'revolutionize' CL flying. I can only dream! lol It's 'the RM with a twist or two' thread.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 10:00 AM
Closed Account
Joined Feb 2006
433 Posts
Don't know much about job hunting in Lubbock. We go shopping there on occasion because there's more stores there than in Clovis.

I did a search on the Brotherhood site, but didn't find the RM build you were referring to, but did not find the 'RM with a twist or two thread' unless it is your new RM Jr. I noticed the R/C carb on the OS Max .10 engine. Did you add throttle or just wire it full open?
Old Oct 06, 2012, 08:02 PM
Joined Mar 2010
1,700 Posts
Hi OkiThumper- I was gonna use my O.S. Pet 099 but couldn't find it so purchased the RC O.S. 10LA Silver. I wired throttle open on Junior. The RM with a twist should be under the 'builds' forum, maybe second page. I'll have a looksee. I think I drove to Clovis or somewhere in the vicinity to check out some caves(?) or something unusual. My brain might be fading somewhat!
Old Oct 07, 2012, 12:09 AM
Closed Account
Joined Feb 2006
433 Posts
ARUP, perhaps you were thinking of Carlsbad (further south) regarding the Caverns or Grants (further west) regarding the ice caves? I remember the OS Pet engines. They were nice legacy engines. Back around 1973, I put in a mail order to Hobby Shack (now Hobby People). It was for an OS Pet .06 CL as an upgrade engine to a Goldberg Jr. Falcon. They were out and they substituted an OS Max .10 R/C baffle piston engine. Now that is a definite upgrade for an underpowered .049 plane!

I've got an AC Gilbert .11 Thunderhead. reserving it for a 26" wingspan Pilot Cessna 150. I'm not sure it would be able to power a Ringmaster Jr.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 09:37 AM
The middle of Kansas
Joined Jan 2005
733 Posts
Wow ARUP; Great looking RIngmasters. But then we would not expect less from an R/C scale builder. You do have to watch out for the effect C/L can have on you. I flew R/C Pattern for 25 years, and then built a RIngmaster. I have been flying control line now for 18 years. LOL. Here is a picture of mine at Wichita's contest this year. It was taken by Elwyn Aud of Tulsa OK. He takes fabulous pictures of planes flying.
Jim Kraft is offline Find More Posts by Jim Kraft
Old Oct 07, 2012, 10:48 AM
Joined Jul 2012
712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Kraft View Post
Wow ARUP; Great looking RIngmasters. But then we would not expect less from an R/C scale builder. You do have to watch out for the effect C/L can have on you. I flew R/C Pattern for 25 years, and then built a RIngmaster. I have been flying control line now for 18 years. LOL. Here is a picture of mine at Wichita's contest this year. It was taken by Elwyn Aud of Tulsa OK. He takes fabulous pictures of planes flying.
All very nice models.
Interestingly enough, Ring Jr is not exactly the same airplane as the big one if you look. Ring Jr wing has a straight leading edge as opposed to the taper on the big one, stab position is different too. I always thought the Jr a better flyer than the big one
JKinTX is offline Find More Posts by JKinTX
Old Oct 07, 2012, 12:35 PM
Old Timer
USA, TX, San Antonio
Joined Jun 2010
871 Posts
Nope. No LE taper on any of the hundred-plus, minimum, I've been up close with.

(No, not of mine, I've only had 5-6, and never built a single fullsize Ringmaster, never wanted to do so.)

Kiwi
The Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by The Kiwi
Old Oct 07, 2012, 03:27 PM
Joined Jul 2012
712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkiThumper View Post
ARUP, perhaps you were thinking of Carlsbad (further south) regarding the Caverns or Grants (further west) regarding the ice caves? I remember the OS Pet engines. They were nice legacy engines. Back around 1973, I put in a mail order to Hobby Shack (now Hobby People). It was for an OS Pet .06 CL as an upgrade engine to a Goldberg Jr. Falcon. They were out and they substituted an OS Max .10 R/C baffle piston engine. Now that is a definite upgrade for an underpowered .049 plane!

I've got an AC Gilbert .11 Thunderhead. reserving it for a 26" wingspan Pilot Cessna 150. I'm not sure it would be able to power a Ringmaster Jr.
It will fly the Ring (built light!) long before it will the Cessna. Although a decently made motor, it and the companion .07- as with most sideports has all the power of a soggy tuna salad sandwich.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 01:30 AM
Closed Account
Joined Feb 2006
433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKinTX View Post
It will fly the Ring (built light!) long before it will the Cessna. Although a decently made motor, it and the companion .07- as with most sideports has all the power of a soggy tuna salad sandwich.
Not sure what you mean by flying the Ring Jr (30 inch wingspan) versus the Pilot at 26 inches. Both Gilberts are AFAIK sub-piston induction carburetors. I gather the Fox .08 was similar. I heard power for the Fox was as you said for the Gilbert.

I'll know more when I break it in and try it. Then I'll find out if it is worth it.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 11:53 AM
gcb
Joined Sep 2008
136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKinTX View Post
All very nice models.
Interestingly enough, Ring Jr is not exactly the same airplane as the big one if you look. Ring Jr wing has a straight leading edge as opposed to the taper on the big one, stab position is different too. I always thought the Jr a better flyer than the big one
I have never seen a Ringmaster with a tapered LE.

George
gcb is offline Find More Posts by gcb
Last edited by gcb; Oct 08, 2012 at 12:00 PM.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 08:32 PM
Joined Jul 2012
712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcb View Post
I have never seen a Ringmaster with a tapered LE.

George
Ah yes! Was thinking of the Mustang- not having built a full size Ring in over 40 years, it is amazing what tricks the mind plays in recalling old data. The stab position is different on the Jr though as I said: mid fuselage position on the Jr and on top on the big one.
Last edited by JKinTX; Oct 08, 2012 at 08:47 PM.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 08:36 PM
Joined Jul 2012
712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkiThumper View Post
Not sure what you mean by flying the Ring Jr (30 inch wingspan) versus the Pilot at 26 inches. Both Gilberts are AFAIK sub-piston induction carburetors. I gather the Fox .08 was similar. I heard power for the Fox was as you said for the Gilbert.

I'll know more when I break it in and try it. Then I'll find out if it is worth it.
They're sideports, just like the Fox Rocket .09, the Mills diesels, many ancient sparkies like the old O&R series, etc.
Wingspan has nothing to do with it, it's weight, mass, drag. Pilot is full fuse, correct?
Old Oct 08, 2012, 10:21 PM
Joined Mar 2010
1,700 Posts
Hi OkiThumper- Carlsbad Caverns... that's it! I've got 'mind warp' for my body is here but I don't know where the mind is! Post a pic of the Gilbert- never seen one. Heck, there's a lot I ain't seen! lol
Jim Kraft- excellent photo of your excellent RM flying inverted!
George- very nice RM. Put a tank on that bird and fire it up! Boil that nylon prop(?) first!
JKinTX- welcome to the 'mind warp' club!
TheKiwi- no better time than now to build your first full sized RM...and... have a build log here and on 'The Brotherhood of the Ring' site!

I found my 'pet'! I was digging thru my box of Cox engine stuff when I found another box with autogyro stuff which had the O.S. Pet 099 in it. Lord knows why I put it in there! I never got the LA engine to run properly so didn't get the Junior up for the 'Fly-A-Thon'. I have since re-engined it with the Pet. Now I can make a bigger tank but I need some nose weight, too. I am soooo happy to have found my Pet. It is one of the engines I've had since a kid. Well, young kid since I'm still a kid... just old!