Discussion
Ringmaster Junior

It's ready for paint! Weeeeeeeeee! Power will be OS 10LA Silver
ARUP is offline Find More Posts by ARUP
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 25, 2012, 08:25 PM
Joined Apr 2012
537 Posts
That's one fine looking RM! I really like the way you radiased the planking. And that doesn't look like an original bell crank set up. So, what's the story? Is that a kit, scratch built? What engine and tank are you going to use? Those pics make me remember how rough the wood was in a Sterling RM.
tigreflyer is offline Find More Posts by tigreflyer
Old Sep 26, 2012, 11:30 AM
United States, KY, Taylorsville
Joined Mar 2010
1,534 Posts
Thanks for the compliment, tigreflyer! This RM Jr is scratchbuilt from some home made plans using the S-1 plans as a guide. It's being built for next to nuthin' from an expense standpoint since all materials are on hand. I like little details like the radiused sheeting so thanks for noticing! The bell crank was cut from micarta and uses brass tubing as axle and bushing. It is supported on both side and the supports have 0.75 cloth on outer surfaces. I'm making the tank from sheet brass to fit the narrow gap between LE and rear of OS 10LA engine. The engine is an RC version but that's okay- I'll just wire it open! It'll get paint this weekend. The sanding sealer is getting sanded this week. I'm thinking of gold with red sunbursts. I was leaning toward white with green but think I'll save that for an S-1 version. Those Sterling kits were a little rough if I remember correctly. I had one painted yellow with black sunbursts. It was powered by a Fox 29 which I still have since ~1970!
Old Sep 27, 2012, 07:45 AM
Joined Mar 2010
1,534 Posts
Base coat of white sprayed yesterday.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 11:26 PM
Tok Alaska
Joined Aug 2005
147 Posts
RM jr

Very nice job.
Back in the early 1960s I flew a lot tof them with old worn out McCoy 35s
lots of fun.
THe Sterling kits were always a challange the wood was not well graded and the die cuts were just a giude to cut by.
I have a full sized RM that I have had since the early 60s with a old worn out
McCoy 35 of the same vintage duct tape covering on the wings and I try to fly it once a year.
northernlightsfl is online now Find More Posts by northernlightsfl
Old Sep 28, 2012, 09:41 AM
gcb
Joined Sep 2008
135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARUP View Post
Thanks for the compliment, tigreflyer! This RM Jr is scratchbuilt from some home made plans using the S-1 plans as a guide.
That is like the Ringmaster Jr. that I remember. The last one I built is from an ESTES kit and they made too many changes! It has wing LE sheeting that runs for almost half the wing chord. Apparently they reinforced it and tried to start a Ringmaster Junior race because they had a Fox .25 schnuerle installed. I have an Enya .09 in mine.

Excellent looking plane!

George
gcb is offline Find More Posts by gcb
Old Sep 28, 2012, 03:08 PM
Closed Account
Joined Feb 2006
433 Posts
Neat looking airplane and good craftsmanship, ARUP. Urges me on to repair mine.
OkiThumper is offline Find More Posts by OkiThumper
Old Sep 29, 2012, 09:47 PM
Joined Mar 2010
1,534 Posts
Thanks for the compliments, Fellow Control Liners! Here is the RM Jr with SIG Brite Gold- I used the last drop! *sniff* SIG doesn't offer it anymore so I bought some from Brodak and got it in 2 days without extra postage charge- WOW! That's service! The Junior is gonna get red sunburst stripes so it should really sparkle in flight! Also shown is the Ringmaster Baby getting a re-spray after a repair.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 07:22 AM
Joined Mar 2010
1,534 Posts
Red sunbursts done! Need black dope sprayed for 'canopy'. Should be ready for Ringmaster 'Fly-A-Thon this coming weekend, Oct 6 and 7.
Old Oct 03, 2012, 12:30 PM
Joined Mar 2010
1,534 Posts
'Canopy' painted. Tanks fabricated. Just needs mounting bracket soldered in place (ran out of Stay-Brite). Need to make landing gear and it's done!
Old Oct 03, 2012, 06:51 PM
Power Upward
United States, OR, Albany
Joined Jun 2007
1,233 Posts
I built a ringmaster Jr many years ago and powered it with a Cox Medalion .15 and it flew very well. Excellent size for control line training.

George
GeorgeG97322 is online now Find More Posts by GeorgeG97322
Old Oct 03, 2012, 07:37 PM
Old Timer
USA, TX, San Antonio
Joined Jun 2010
831 Posts
If I haven't mentioned the one I still have, that had belonged to my younger son, it had a Medallion .09 on it, when first built for him, about 1970, then it had the older type "Steel Fin" Fox 15 that seemed somewhat better, since it was more willing to swing a larger, lower pitch prop (8 - 3 1/2). I don't know where that engine went, but it didn't get back from Houston to here in 1978.

The plane still exists, with a mid-1970s Fox 15X on it, but I don't think it's been in the air since the mid-1970s.

P. S. (Added in Edit) If I remember, and this thread stays relatively active, I may give it a wipe down with a damp cloth, and shoot a picture to attach. I'll use my oldest, just relocated, digital camera to have a small file size without having to do any file size management.

Kiwi
The Kiwi is online now Find More Posts by The Kiwi
Last edited by The Kiwi; Oct 04, 2012 at 02:18 PM. Reason: Might add a photo
Old Oct 04, 2012, 09:21 AM
The middle of Kansas
Joined Jan 2005
706 Posts
I had a RIng Jr. back in the 60's with a Fox 15X that I learned to fly inverted on. It was rebuilt alot. LOL. I now have 2 Sterling RIngmasters with McCoy Red Head 35's. I built one about 16 years ago, and the other about 8 years ago. The first one had the usual heavy wood, but flew fairly well. The second one was very light for a Sterling kit, and fly's really well. I hope to get in a few flights on both this weekend. They are both the old Sterling S-1 kits.
Jim Kraft is offline Find More Posts by Jim Kraft
Old Oct 04, 2012, 10:30 AM
Closed Account
Joined Feb 2006
433 Posts
I've really been enjoying the responses from the CL community. You've relit the CL bug in me.

Regarding that Sterling 42 inch span CL Hellcat profile kit I've got into a 4 cc (.15) class R/C 3-channel ship; you've got me thinking I may now have a use for that Testors Model 21 .40 CL engine I've got.

I'm working on repairing my Ringmaster Jr and enlarged the plans for those repairs. Sharing the wealth, enclosed are a PDF scan of the 1/4 scale drawing from my kit plan and full sized tiled versions of the same in PDF.
OkiThumper is offline Find More Posts by OkiThumper