SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 24, 2012, 02:08 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcollydas View Post
So you will have to use a heli mode so you can mix the servos.
That would be interesting. hhmmmmmm
You really don't want to mix the channels before the gimbal controller. You want to have the gimbal controller give you independent roll and tilt control signal.

I was even thinking about using some of the old stand alone V tail mixers after the gimbal controller.
SeismicCWave is offline Find More Posts by SeismicCWave
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 24, 2012, 02:21 PM
Canada, QC, Laval
Joined Apr 2008
1,211 Posts
I wasn't talking about the FC. I will use the Picloc, HF gimbal, the FC stand alone or the RSGS..

would be a challenge..
bcollydas is offline Find More Posts by bcollydas
Old Nov 24, 2012, 04:45 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcollydas View Post
I wasn't talking about the FC. I will use the Picloc, HF gimbal, the FC stand alone or the RSGS..

would be a challenge..
Yeah, that can be very interesting.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 05:46 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,956 Posts
Here is a video with that darn ball in the front again. I am not trying to sell gimbals with a smooth video. This is RAW and to show what kind of result I am getting from my testing.
20121124 UG1 GX1 new firmware test (1 min 53 sec)
Old Nov 24, 2012, 07:33 PM
Begin with end in mind...
Eagle Lake, Minnesota
Joined Apr 2003
5,613 Posts
That looks very nice With results like that, I am getting closer to giving one of these a whirl...

Mike
power is offline Find More Posts by power
Old Nov 24, 2012, 07:43 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by power View Post
That looks very nice With results like that, I am getting closer to giving one of these a whirl...

Mike
Thanks Mike. The results are sure encouraging.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 09:04 PM
Navarre, FL
Joined Mar 2002
3,839 Posts
OK, I finally did an actual flight test. It's almost embarrassing, since the copter has lots of problems (unbalanced props, one bad bearing, loose gear legs, etc) but I figured it would be a worst case test. The wind was around 15mph, but that's just normal for the beach.

It was also a first test with the GP3, shot in 1080p Wide 60fps. Man, wide really means wide. It's neat because you can watch the gear legs flopping around, and see how the gimbal is working.

The other difference here is a test of custom servos that have +-180 degrees of movement. That gives 120+ degrees of travel with our current 2.8:1 pulleys. The results are encouraging, but I'm skeptical that it will be the best solution. I'm working on getting some changes made, then I'll try again. In the mean time, I'll try some Hitec 7940's with an external pot.

Unfortunately, I'll be out of town all week at my day/night job, so no time to do anything this week, including shipping items from the shop.

GP3 beach lontair 360 tilt and roll (2 min 8 sec)

Cheers,
Rusty
13brv3 is offline Find More Posts by 13brv3
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 24, 2012, 10:04 PM
United States, TX, Seguin
Joined Mar 2005
610 Posts
mattchase is online now Find More Posts by mattchase
Last edited by mattchase; Nov 24, 2012 at 11:01 PM.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 10:08 PM
Team White Llama
United States, IL, Addison
Joined Dec 2010
500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattchase View Post
Matt,

I dont see a picture. Question what does your hexa weight with camera? What are you flight times like, and what size battery?
Enthlapy is offline Find More Posts by Enthlapy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Metal Head Mini FPV
Old Nov 24, 2012, 11:16 PM
Joined Mar 2005
610 Posts
Oops...trying to be cute and failed miserably. Good job Matt.

With a GH1, 14mm pancake lens, and 4000mah battery it is 4065g, and I get about 5 minutes of not too fast / not too slow flying, or about 5.5 - 6 minutes of sedate hovering, before my battery alarm goes off (set to 3.5v). I'm pretty sure the weight measurement above is from before I cut out a little weight (literally) by shortening the ESC to motor wires and I will eventually get Rusty's square tube gimbal to replace Hansens round CF tube gimbal which should save 200+ grams. I think the only other thing I could do to lose a bit more weight would be to switch to all aluminum hardware, I have some already but most of the screws are steel. I'm not sure how much weight that would save though and personally I like the idea of the stronger steel holding everything together (even if that is all just in my head. At least there is something in my head).

Well, the other thing I could do is get a different camera, the GH1 is moderately heavy for a compact camera. But my funds for all of this are pretty well spent right now so that is going to have to wait a bit, maybe after christmas I will be able to get something like a Nex which would probably save another 100g or so.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 03:40 AM
Canada, BC, Bowen Island
Joined Sep 2012
200 Posts
Hey guys, anyone got some recommendations for the lastest optimum motors for a Hexa or Y6 configured UAP-1 w/ a UG-1 gimbal + T2i camera? Weight say around 4kg (give or take).

Hansen and Rusty, I believe you both rock 770kv Avroto's right? and Matt's got similar kv iPowers like the 2814 750kv? I'm damn tempted by the cheaper iPowers, but would it be better long term to invest in Avroto or T-motors? And what about all these new "high efficiency" disk type motors?

For example, Stedidrone's latest RTF H6X uses 380kv MT4008-18 T-Motors paired with 4S Lipos. These motors are rated for up to 6S so I find it quite interesting that they're using 4S. Would be darn convenient as that's what I got now.

I'm asking as FPVModel has T-motors 20% off this weekend and upgrading my 880kv RCtimer motor seems high on my list since I'm concerned they'll be a source of pain once I add the extra weight of a gimbal system. Also, FPVModel is the only place I've seen those new 380kv 4008-18 T-Motors

http://www.fpvmodel.com/tmotor-mt4008-kv380_p346.html

Typically I'd like to do a ton more research on something like this, but brushless motors are something I've always felt a bit lost on.
featherodd is offline Find More Posts by featherodd
Last edited by featherodd; Nov 25, 2012 at 03:48 AM.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 07:02 AM
Athens, Greece
Joined Sep 2001
1,127 Posts
70$ looks a bit expensive when you can get buy with less than half using average motors. It the difference on the brand motors so great to justify the price?
tigar is offline Find More Posts by tigar
Old Nov 25, 2012, 09:52 AM
United States, MN, St Cloud
Joined Jan 2012
539 Posts
Rusty are you using your isolation dampening plates in that video and if not what are you using to kill vibration
Rich
richkphoto is offline Find More Posts by richkphoto
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:10 AM
Joined Mar 2005
610 Posts
I've never used Avroto or T-Motors so can't really compare the iPowers to those. I also can't say how long the iPowers will last as I've only had them for about 9 months and I haven't done a ton of flying with them in that time. But I can say that they are the best motors I've had so far and they do a great job lifting a fair amount of weight with a 4s battery and 11x4.7 props. And while I haven't flown a whole lot with them, almost every flight I've done has been with a camera on board so they've been getting a good workout from the weight, and have had a couple of crash landings that they've survived.

The only thing I've thought about doing is replacing the metal bearings in the iPowers with ceramic bearings, which from my understanding should help them run smoother and cooler (though they already seem pretty smooth and are usually only a little warm after a flight). Even if I did this for all 6 motors it would only cost a little more than buying a single Avroto motor, so it seems like it might be a worthwhile upgrade. I've just been so busy with other things (and trying not to spend any more money right now!) that I haven't done it yet, but it's on my list for after the first of the year.

I've heard good things about T-Motors and also SunnySky motors, but I haven't tried either of those brands yet. Next time I need to replace my motors (or build another hexa) I am probably going to try one of those two brands to see how they do. And someday I will probably get some Avrotos just so I can stop saying I've never tried Avrotos.

I think the most important thing you can do for your motors (and copter) is to get SimonK or Wii-ESC flashed ESCs. I had non-flashed ESCs up until August and my copter flew pretty well, but it had a bit of jerkiness to it and the motors had a high pitch whine to them. Since getting flashed ESCs the motors no longer have that whine and the jerkiness is much less.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:18 AM
VA
Joined Nov 2009
2,659 Posts
I am using the Avroto 2814 770kv motors also and can honestly say the Avroto 2814 is the best motor I have used in 3 years on these things. Using 11x7 prop currently with the throttle limited to get high thrust. 6s batteries are heavy and I haven't worked out (calculated) a combination with the pancake motors that will work for me yet.

Haven't tried the I-power 2814 yet but I hear they are good for the money

Quote:
Originally Posted by featherodd View Post
Hey guys, anyone got some recommendations for the lastest optimum motors for a Hexa or Y6 configured UAP-1 w/ a UG-1 gimbal + T2i camera? Weight say around 4kg (give or take).

Hansen and Rusty, I believe you both rock 770kv Avroto's right? and Matt's got similar kv iPowers like the 2814 750kv? I'm damn tempted by the cheaper iPowers, but would it be better long term to invest in Avroto or T-motors? And what about all these new "high efficiency" disk type motors?

For example, Stedidrone's latest RTF H6X uses 380kv MT4008-18 T-Motors paired with 4S Lipos. These motors are rated for up to 6S so I find it quite interesting that they're using 4S. Would be darn convenient as that's what I got now.

I'm asking as FPVModel has T-motors 20% off this weekend and upgrading my 880kv RCtimer motor seems high on my list since I'm concerned they'll be a source of pain once I add the extra weight of a gimbal system. Also, FPVModel is the only place I've seen those new 380kv 4008-18 T-Motors

http://www.fpvmodel.com/tmotor-mt4008-kv380_p346.html

Typically I'd like to do a ton more research on something like this, but brushless motors are something I've always felt a bit lost on.
pug398 is online now Find More Posts by pug398