HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Sep 30, 2012, 07:55 PM
Registered User
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,954 Posts
Ok I flew the carbon tube version today and it is performing as expected. There were no wind so pretty hard to test. I had to do some gyration with the quad to check the stabilization. My conclusion, the roll is perfect. I have to tune the tilt just a little. It may be over compensating or under compensation. However the movements are all very smooth so the gimbal works as expected.

The penalty is the 700 grams of the gimbal.

I will post video in a while. Here are the pictures of the machine after the flight.
SeismicCWave is offline Find More Posts by SeismicCWave
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 30, 2012, 07:58 PM
Registered User
AsylumET's Avatar
United States, VT, Rutland
Joined Feb 2012
134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeismicCWave View Post
Yes drilling holes will do a bit of lightening. The aluminum version is not what I am worrying about. It is the carbon tube version that is heavy.
Yeah I can see how that one would be rather heavy. I had been planning to build a carbon fiber H6/H12 frame but aluminum seems to be much lighter or more durable for the weight. There was some aluminum square stock with oval holes cut out equally down all sides that I thought would be great but now I only wish I knew where I had seen it. Great gimbal designs anyway. I think I am going to build one based on yours.
AsylumET is offline Find More Posts by AsylumET
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 30, 2012, 08:03 PM
Registered User
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsylumET View Post
Great gimbal designs anyway. I think I am going to build one based on yours.
Thanks, please do.
SeismicCWave is offline Find More Posts by SeismicCWave
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 09:55 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2012
752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeismicCWave View Post
Ok I flew the carbon tube version today and it is performing as expected. There were no wind so pretty hard to test. I had to do some gyration with the quad to check the stabilization. My conclusion, the roll is perfect. I have to tune the tilt just a little. It may be over compensating or under compensation. However the movements are all very smooth so the gimbal works as expected.

The penalty is the 700 grams of the gimbal.

I will post video in a while. Here are the pictures of the machine after the flight.
Are you using naza for gimbal stab? Any close up shots of your iso scheme?
jcmonty is offline Find More Posts by jcmonty
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 10:20 PM
Registered User
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmonty View Post
Are you using naza for gimbal stab? Any close up shots of your iso scheme?
No I am using the Open Pilot CC3D in this one. The iso scheme is the same as the one Andrey is using. I just added a Sorbothane doughnut on top/bottom of the silicone grommet.
SeismicCWave is offline Find More Posts by SeismicCWave
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 10:23 PM
Registered User
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,954 Posts
Here is the link to the video.

My isolators are a little soft for the weight. Look closely at the roll and pitch tests. I move the roll about as much as the pitch. All you see are the pitch movement which I believe the pitch is over compensating. You barely see any roll movement.

On the more severe test I purposely started the pitch by pulling back. You can see the camera pitched forward instead. So I think the servo is moving too much to compensate. I need to fine tune the tilt stabilization on the CC3D.

20120930 testing 2 axis gimbal NEX 5 (1 min 44 sec)
SeismicCWave is offline Find More Posts by SeismicCWave
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 10:43 PM
Registered User
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,954 Posts
I have a question for every one that is reading this thread. I am pretty sure the gimbals I am making will work pretty well. As long as you use good high power servos.

However the gimbal controller comes into mind. I don't want to stick a HoverFly Gimbal controller on it and test. I know it will work and probably work very well but a lot of you reading this thread may not want to spend the money to buy the HoverFly gimbal controller.

So I want to test the gimbal with gimbal controllers that are more generic. Like the gimbal control directly from the Naza M. I can test some version of the multi wii controller. I don't think the KK2 has a controller. I have not had a chance to use one yet.

So is there any recommendation on gimbal controller to test.

This thread is all about building a gimbal and making functional. I don't want to limit you to any specific hardware. Limiting the servos to high power servo is bad enough but that is the unfortunate limitation of inertia. Most high speed servos are not well adapted to moving heavy load around.
SeismicCWave is offline Find More Posts by SeismicCWave
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 10:50 PM
The Engineer
prodriverex's Avatar
Singapore
Joined Dec 2009
621 Posts
Is the controller the same as any FC?
prodriverex is offline Find More Posts by prodriverex
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Gimball Drone
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 10:52 PM
Destroyer of G-10
askman's Avatar
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
openaero2 has gimbal firmware. I have it flashed, but not tested yet. multiwii also works. bladestrike has a nice setup on his blog for crius se board. for myself just time is very short on my end.

really no cheap gimbal controller that is great yet. heck it is even hard to get HFG at the moment. sheesh. same with openCC. tough to get. openCC probably is one of better option though.
askman is offline Find More Posts by askman
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 30, 2012, 10:56 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2012
752 Posts
If you have access to a hoverfly pro, that's what I will be using. I am not sold on buying an expensive gimbal controller right out of the gate. I want to see how good I can get it with the HF Pro controls, since I hear they are pretty darn good with the latest firmware. I also have a APM 2.0 (arducopter), which has gimbal controls. I haven't used it or heard of anyone using it with much success though. But if you can get it stabilized well enough with the Naza, that will sell me.

Interesting point about the servos, the MKS ones that Andrey uses are relatively low torque compared the Hitec's you are using. I was checking out these: http://www.servocity.com/html/hs-7940th_servo.html Lower torque than what you are using, but a more torque and twice as fast (unloaded) as the MKS servos. Upping the gear ratios a bit would give you the mechanical advantage if needed.

Btw, the video looks good. I am assuming that the mirco bounces are because of the too-soft isolation you mentioned? Did the lens you were using have OIS enabled?
jcmonty is offline Find More Posts by jcmonty
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 11:17 PM
Registered User
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by prodriverex View Post
Is the controller the same as any FC?
It can be but doesn't have to be. FC or flight controllers like Naza M, Wookong, HoverFly Pro, Open Pilot CC or CC3D, Multi Wii also have two or more axis gimbal controller included.

You can also use the Open Pilot CC or CC3D, Multi Wii as a stand alone gimbal controller. HoverFly Tech also sells a dedicated gimbal controller. Photohigher also sells their own Skyline gimbal controller. PicLoc is another stand alone gimbal controller.
SeismicCWave is offline Find More Posts by SeismicCWave
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 11:30 PM
Registered User
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,954 Posts
>>If you have access to a hoverfly pro, that's what I will be using.<<

Good thought. I have success with HFP with Andrey's gimbal. I can swap things around.

>>I am not sold on buying an expensive gimbal controller right out of the gate.<<

That's what I thought.

>> I want to see how good I can get it with the HF Pro controls, since I hear they are pretty darn good with the latest firmware.<<

Yes it is not bad. Pretty much like the CC3D I am using but a little easier to adjust. I have to do a lot of trial and error on the CC3D because I really don't know what they mean by a lot of the terms. Some things are counter intuitive. I will figure it out eventually.

>> I also have a APM 2.0 (arducopter), which has gimbal controls.<<

Is that a Multi Wii based controller? I like to eventually try a Multi Wii. Maybe as a stand alone controller. Since I have a bunch of them I am not using.

>>I haven't used it or heard of anyone using it with much success though. But if you can get it stabilized well enough with the Naza, that will sell me.<<

I had some initial problems with my Naza M but I did manage to get it working fairly well. Not perfect but adequate for my use.

>>Interesting point about the servos, the MKS ones that Andrey uses are relatively low torque compared the Hitec's you are using.<<

The MKS BLS950 is not low torque by any means. The specs is really good on the MKS. I am actually testing a MKS mini servo with an external pot with one of Andrey's original gimbal. It is working quite well. I have some vibration from crooked motor shafts. I am waiting for the shafts to arrive so I can test some more.

>> I was checking out these: http://www.servocity.com/html/hs-7940th_servo.html Lower torque than what you are using, but a more torque and twice as fast (unloaded) as the MKS servos. Upping the gear ratios a bit would give you the mechanical advantage if needed.<<

Maybe use a 3 to 1 ratio and I think it will work very well. Speed is also important for the camera to "follow".

>>Btw, the video looks good. I am assuming that the mirco bounces are because of the too-soft isolation you mentioned?<<

Yes, I wanted to do a quick test and just used an existing iso mount. The grommets spacing are only 3.5" apart. I like to make them 5" apart to get rid of the micro bounces. Also this gimbal is substantially heavier than Andrey's gimbal so there will be more movement.

>> Did the lens you were using have OIS enabled?<<

No OIS for me. The Voigtlander 15mm is an all manual lens. The only OIS I found that work is the BOSS on the Sony PJ710. Then it is not fair if I show you video shot from that camera. I don't need a stabilized gimbal. The Sony Standard zoom with OIS does work in video mode. The Panasonic standard zoom with OIS doesn't work in video mode.

I think only the Sony RX100 OIS is suppose to be pretty good.
SeismicCWave is offline Find More Posts by SeismicCWave
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 11:31 PM
Registered User
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,954 Posts
>>really no cheap gimbal controller that is great yet.<<

That is a bummer.

>> heck it is even hard to get HFG at the moment. sheesh. <<

I am still waiting for the 2 axis version.

>> same with openCC. tough to get. openCC probably is one of better option though.<<

I have to learn how to fine tune the tilt axis.
SeismicCWave is offline Find More Posts by SeismicCWave
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 11:55 PM
Registered User
United States, TX, Seguin
Joined Mar 2005
610 Posts
I've been using a CC as well and the tilt axis has been my nemesis. I can get the roll axis somewhat close, not great but acceptable, but the tilt axis is either too fast or too slow. I'm not sure if this is in part due to my servo or not, and I'm using the CC as both flight controller and gimbal controller so can't fine tune it as well as when it is used as a gimbal controller only. I have an extra CC now as well as a new Paris board that I bought with the intention of using it as a gimbal controller, I'm not quite ready to give up on the CC doing both flight and gimbal control just yet but probably will eventually go to a dedicated gimbal controller.
mattchase is online now Find More Posts by mattchase
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 01, 2012, 12:24 AM
Registered User
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattchase View Post
I've been using a CC as well and the tilt axis has been my nemesis. I can get the roll axis somewhat close, not great but acceptable, but the tilt axis is either too fast or too slow. I'm not sure if this is in part due to my servo or not, and I'm using the CC as both flight controller and gimbal controller so can't fine tune it as well as when it is used as a gimbal controller only. I have an extra CC now as well as a new Paris board that I bought with the intention of using it as a gimbal controller, I'm not quite ready to give up on the CC doing both flight and gimbal control just yet but probably will eventually go to a dedicated gimbal controller.
I really want to tune the CC3D to work well with this gimbal.
SeismicCWave is offline Find More Posts by SeismicCWave
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question Can you make Embedded Pictures show up with Show Attachments in this Thread? Richard N Site Suggestions / Complaints 4 Sep 04, 2012 01:03 PM
Help! Can you tell me what make and model this car is? KiTCyclic Electric Power Cars 25 Aug 14, 2012 11:41 AM
Careful! Always make sure you clarify functional condition prior to agreeing to buy!!!!!! -= GYRO =- Trader Talk 84 Jun 15, 2012 01:06 PM
Help! Is there any gimbal stabilisation unit out there that can do camera lock? hexa Multirotor Talk 9 Apr 17, 2012 06:46 PM
The new momie hopperz f/d channel rc you can make a full functional micro plane saab2fast Scratchbuilt Indoor and Micro Models 10 Dec 16, 2004 07:43 PM