SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 29, 2012, 11:36 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,952 Posts
Ok a bit of progress. The servos showed up so I put the carbon tube gimbal together and it is finished. I just have to figure out which multi rotor to put it on to test.
SeismicCWave is offline Find More Posts by SeismicCWave
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 29, 2012, 11:40 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,952 Posts
Then the 1/2" aluminium square tube version is waiting for bearings. In the meantime I made the vertical tube and fitted the roll cage. The external potentiometer is held on by two setscrews. I have ordered a tap to thread the hole so I can make another arm with a threaded hole if necessary. Rusty have something up his sleeve so the threaded hole may not be necessary at all. We will see.

As Andrey said earlier. There ain't no free lunches. Just remember you may be able to build a less expensive gimbal that works well. You still have to spend a good amount of money to buy good servos. Then if you want a HoverFly Gimbal controller that's even more money.

However you will have the satisfaction that you've built it.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 11:49 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2012
752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeismicCWave View Post
Then the 1/2" aluminium square tube version is waiting for bearings. In the meantime I made the vertical tube and fitted the roll cage. The external potentiometer is held on by two setscrews. I have ordered a tap to thread the hole so I can make another arm with a threaded hole if necessary. Rusty have something up his sleeve so the threaded hole may not be necessary at all. We will see.

As Andrey said earlier. There ain't no free lunches. Just remember you may be able to build a less expensive gimbal that works well. You still have to spend a good amount of money to buy good servos. Then if you want a HoverFly Gimbal controller that's even more money.

However you will have the satisfaction that you've built it.
Looking great! I like both of them. I am sure you have seen gary's result with the secondary isolation on the camera plate. You think that you may try that as well? I guess it's too early to tell if you will need/want it.

I have some carbon tube left over, but not enough for the whole roll setup. Maybe I will try a combo with the aluminum for roll and CF tube for the vertical and horizontal support beams.

Sorry if i missed this, but what servos are you trying at first? Also, up to what sized camera are you going to be using on this gimbal? My plan, for whatever I decide to do, would be to hold my current camera, T2i, and maybe a little bit larger. I am looking at the GH3 once it comes out , since it looks to be a pretty good video setup. Should be similar in size to my T2i. I don't really see any benefit in carrying much larger.
jcmonty is offline Find More Posts by jcmonty
Old Sep 29, 2012, 11:56 PM
United States, TX, Seguin
Joined Mar 2005
610 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeismicCWave View Post
I just have to figure out which multi rotor to put it on to test.
You are more than welcome to put it on mine!
mattchase is online now Find More Posts by mattchase
Old Sep 30, 2012, 12:06 AM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,952 Posts
>> I like both of them. I am sure you have seen gary's result with the secondary isolation on the camera plate. You think that you may try that as well? I guess it's too early to tell if you will need/want it.<<

Yes Gary is getting some outstanding results with his setup.

Yes I am going to try some secondary isolation. As a matter of fact I have once put four points of isolation on a machine. I still have one that is using three points of isolation.

I will try to do something slightly different than what Gary is doing. Rusty has a floating mount that uses EAR isolators also. I may use that plus the silicone grommets. I have been combining some 30 Durometer Sorbothane doughnuts with the silicone grommet with success. I want to separate them out and create two different points of isolation with those two materials.

The reason is that my EAR stand offs are ripping from shear load.

>> I have some carbon tube left over, but not enough for the whole roll setup. Maybe I will try a combo with the aluminum for roll and CF tube for the vertical and horizontal support beams.<<

I know, it is fun to start tinkering with different ways. I did play around and made a vertical tube, roll cage and top support bar out of 12mm round aluminum tubes. That was giving Rusty gas attack!

>>Sorry if i missed this, but what servos are you trying at first?<<

I am trying the Hitec 5980 on roll:

http://www.servocity.com/html/hsr-5980sg_servo.html

and Hitec 7945 on tilt:

http://www.servocity.com/html/hs-7945th_servo.html

>>Also, up to what sized camera are you going to be using on this gimbal? My plan, for whatever I decide to do, would be to hold my current camera, T2i, and maybe a little bit larger.<<

From the rigidity I am getting with these two mounts I am figuring on the Canon T2i, 3i and 4i will fit fine. I tried the body of my T2i and it fits perfect. The camera is no longer working from a crash so I will use my GH2, GX1, NEX 5 or 5N for testing. I will most likely test it with the NEX 5 first since that is the most expendable.

>>I am looking at the GH3 once it comes out , since it looks to be a pretty good video setup.<<

I love my GH2. I bought the Olympus 9 to 18mm lens for it and the image quality is excellent. Not too heavy either.

>>Should be similar in size to my T2i. I don't really see any benefit in carrying much larger.<<

The GH3 should be slightly lighter but produce much better video. Especially if you get a good lens for it. The problem with the NEX 5N is the unavailability of a good wide angle lens that is light. The 16mm pancake is fine except for some softness on the edges. The Voigtlander 15mm Leica screw mount is ok except for the auto focus. Some time I do want to shoot infinity and close up all within one flight.

For the GH3 you have a choice with the Panasonic 14mm pancake, Panasonic 7-14mm zoom, Olympus Zuiko 12mm prime or the Olympus 9-18mm zoom. Those are all good lenses.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 12:06 AM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,952 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattchase View Post
You are more than welcome to put it on mine!
LOL! Can it lift a 700 gram gimbal plus the camera?
Old Sep 30, 2012, 12:38 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2012
752 Posts
Impressive servos. Are the deadbands adjustable, like I hear a lot of Hitecs are? The MKS ones that gary and Andrey like have a better deadband, but all of the other specs seem to favor the Hitecs
jcmonty is offline Find More Posts by jcmonty
Old Sep 30, 2012, 12:48 AM
United States, NC, Tryon
Joined Sep 2005
211 Posts
I'm curious about servos as well. I've looked at the Savoxs' and Hyperions in addition to the Hitecs, I just can't find out much about the programmability of the first two. Most everyone that I've seen uses the Hitec as it can be programmed for far more rotation. I'd hate to build a sweet mount and be limited by the servos.
I have no prob going with the ones Seismic is using, it's just nice to "explore all the options"...
soarsimon is offline Find More Posts by soarsimon
Old Sep 30, 2012, 01:11 AM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,952 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmonty View Post
Impressive servos. Are the deadbands adjustable, like I hear a lot of Hitecs are? The MKS ones that gary and Andrey like have a better deadband, but all of the other specs seem to favor the Hitecs
They are suppose to be adjustable. I have the programmer and I adjusted them. Unfortunately the programmer is not really that good and I cannot tell if it is really adjusted or not.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 01:19 AM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,952 Posts
>>I've looked at the Savoxs' <<

I have used Savox and they are good. Don't get the high speed servo. Get the most powerful one you can find. High speed servo does not have the power to handle the inertia of the camera.

>>and Hyperions in addition<<

I have tried Hyperions. As a matter of fact Andrey had me test the Hyperions on his prototype gimbals. They are not that good.

The Hyperions do have a software and interface where you can program them on your PC.

>>to the Hitecs,<<

I like HiTecs because they have powerful servos, the servo pulley fits and many of them are programmable.

If you order a certain Hitec servo from Servo City for $20 they will take the potentiometer out and leave it hanging on the outside of the case. I just cut the wires and extend them to the external potentiometer. That way I don't have to risk a $100 servo by opening it up.

>>Most everyone that I've seen uses the Hitec as it can be programmed for far more rotation.<<

Most digital Hitec may be programmable with their HFP-20 programmer. You can adjust the deadband, speed (within limits), rotation amount, centering position, rotation direction etc.

>> I'd hate to build a sweet mount and be limited by the servos.<<

You won't you are only limited by the amount of money you want to spend on the servo. As long as the gimbal is rigid and move smoothly on roll and tilt axis you will have a good setup. The worst enemy of a gimbal is the flexing of the materials.

>>I have no prob going with the ones Seismic is using, it's just nice to "explore all the options"<<

I love to explore the options. Some times you will find some gems that no one else have tried.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 06:40 AM
recep
Ankara, TURKEY
Joined Sep 2005
481 Posts
If it is possible to bend aluminum it would be an even simpler design with less parts.
recep is offline Find More Posts by recep
Old Sep 30, 2012, 02:31 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,952 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by recep View Post
If it is possible to bend aluminum it would be an even simpler design with less parts.
I thought about that. You can bend certain aluminum alloy but not all. Bending it will lose the scalability. Right now you can use different length tubes to make gimbal of varying sizes. Within reason of course.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 07:16 PM
United States, NC, Tryon
Joined Sep 2005
211 Posts
I've been thinking about an aluminum build too. I was going to build one that's thru-bolted to make sure it all works, then pull the bolts out and rivet it. That would further reduce weight and it would definitely be stiff enough. Should make for a simple build, the frame that is. I'll let siesmic get all the bugs worked out in the servo arrangement, bearings, and pulleys...
soarsimon is offline Find More Posts by soarsimon
Old Sep 30, 2012, 07:43 PM
United States, VT, Rutland
Joined Feb 2012
134 Posts
I was thinking it may shave a lot of weight off the gimbal if after you get everything working as you want it you then go and drill out some strategically placed holes. Not only would this take away weight but it would give break points in the cheapest parts of the gimbal rather than the servos or camera taking the full force.
AsylumET is offline Find More Posts by AsylumET
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 30, 2012, 07:52 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,952 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsylumET View Post
I was thinking it may shave a lot of weight off the gimbal if after you get everything working as you want it you then go and drill out some strategically placed holes. Not only would this take away weight but it would give break points in the cheapest parts of the gimbal rather than the servos or camera taking the full force.
Yes drilling holes will do a bit of lightening. The aluminum version is not what I am worrying about. It is the carbon tube version that is heavy.