HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 27, 2012, 08:54 AM
United States, CA, Malibu
Joined Apr 2012
190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmonty View Post
Cool stuff. Where did you get your square tubes? ?
Square Tubes price for two found here:
http://quadframe.myshopify.com/colle...e-aluminum-arm

and cool black here:
http://quadframe.myshopify.com/colle...k-aluminum-arm

I think igimbal should be done with L brackets without boom blocks.
Spare is offline Find More Posts by Spare
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 27, 2012, 10:00 AM
Destroyer of G-10
Joined Jul 2004
10,036 Posts
I do talk about there being no free lunch, and part cost do add up pretty quick if you go 4:1 gear ratio you could probably get away with cheaper servo, but pulleys cost bit more. downside is that you will lose platform independance and performance. so, cost will somewhat depends on what you are willing to live iwth. I mean crius SE is about 75% performance of HFG, but cost lot less. though once you try HFG, it is tough to go back(once you are using good gimbal system)

To be honest, you should be doing it not to save money, but because you enjoy building, testing and possibly contributing to the hobby. The cost and time factor do add up quick(especially the time, but cost is not trivial), but if you have right passion, you should be able to get something to work pretty well with knowledge that you built it. not going to say it will be easy though. It is funny because hansen really did not like using stabilized gimbal until I finally showed it to him that it does work with right setup. now, he is using my gimbal for his work and built this to share. I can provide pulleys/belt and isolators as well and usually bit cheaper with shipping than getting from others.

I do think having some form of erector set would be cool though. kind of mini or micro 80/20 kit. hmm. would make building structure much easier.
askman is offline Find More Posts by askman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fun in the snow
Old Sep 27, 2012, 10:43 AM
Joined Sep 2010
286 Posts
Would love to see a kit for this, minus the aluminum arms, which we cut ourselves to size for our given camera. Also, with a list of recommended servos, etc. Cool stuff guys!
bladeaudio is offline Find More Posts by bladeaudio
Old Sep 27, 2012, 10:46 AM
Multi rotors=No Paycheck left
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2011
3,132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeaudio View Post
Would love to see a kit for this, minus the aluminum arms, which we cut ourselves to size for our given camera. Also, with a list of recommended servos, etc. Cool stuff guys!
^ +1 on that...I hope Rusty at AGL hobbies cuts some kits and then like you said, who ever provides the kits also provides a list of "suggested" accessories that will work well within a "budget" build so to speak...OR also provide a range of accessories for all budgets...

nonetheless...i am excited to see what comes from this!!
SDSURFnGLIDE is online now Find More Posts by SDSURFnGLIDE
Old Sep 27, 2012, 11:57 AM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,936 Posts
>>Yes but I would like to see some videos.. building a gimbal is one thing. Having it perform correctly is another. Looking forward to some flight reports.<<

So would I. I am still waiting for parts to finish either gimbal. LIving in the middle of the Pacific Ocean has a price.

>> Also it would be nice to have a running count on part cost.. servos alone will be $200 , correct?<<

Of course I am keeping track of the part costs. The Servo cost will be entirely up to you. I am just talking about the gimbal here. You can spend way over than $300 on servos.
SeismicCWave is online now Find More Posts by SeismicCWave
Old Sep 27, 2012, 08:16 PM
United States, CA, Big Bear
Joined Jan 2006
8,451 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeismicCWave View Post
So would I. I am still waiting for parts to finish either gimbal. LIving in the middle of the Pacific Ocean has a price.
But a small price to pay to live there

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeismicCWave View Post
Of course I am keeping track of the part costs. The Servo cost will be entirely up to you. I am just talking about the gimbal here. You can spend way over than $300 on servos.

Yes but to get any good results imho, you will need to spend at least $200 on servos.. sucks, I know!
blade strike is offline Find More Posts by blade strike
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Dji fpv hub
Old Sep 27, 2012, 09:39 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,936 Posts
>>Yes but to get any good results imho, you will need to spend at least $200 on servos.. sucks, I know!<<

The gimbal can only hold the camera on. The servo is the muscle that keeps the camera movement smooth. So high quality servo is a must to achieve good video. Either that or use a fixed gimbal.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 09:41 PM
United States, NC, Tryon
Joined Sep 2005
211 Posts
Quote:
However cameras like the Sony NEX 5N and such will show the micro bounces in the footage.
Sony has announced the realease of a new lense that would work on the nex series:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/09...or-NEX-E-mount

Wouldn't this work to reduce those "micro bounces"? Albeit at a fairly high cost (around $850 for the lense alone)...
soarsimon is offline Find More Posts by soarsimon
Old Sep 27, 2012, 10:11 PM
United States, NC, Tryon
Joined Sep 2005
211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spare View Post
I've also had good luck with 6061T6 aluminum from AircraftSpruce.com.
They sell square and round tube that is used in full scale aircraft construction. At $2 to $4 a foot, it's priced comparatively. You can also order small quantities with no issues and they ship fast...
Old Sep 27, 2012, 11:30 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by soarsimon View Post
Sony has announced the realease of a new lense that would work on the nex series:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/09...or-NEX-E-mount

Wouldn't this work to reduce those "micro bounces"? Albeit at a fairly high cost (around $850 for the lense alone)...
If that work it will be great. We won't know until some one tries it.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 01:41 AM
Athens, Greece
Joined Sep 2001
1,053 Posts
Great idea on the gimbal. I am too a "diy"er and i was missing a kick start to build a gimbal. Actualy Seismic had helped me in the past with a previus design that worked great as a fixed gimbal because i was missing the pulleys, bearings and special tools. This on the other hand looks that can be done, especialy if Rusty helps to make it a kit.
I am 100% in for this.
Well done Seismic!!!
tigar is online now Find More Posts by tigar
Old Sep 29, 2012, 02:20 AM
United States, NC, Tryon
Joined Sep 2005
211 Posts
Hey Seismic,

Quote:
I am trying to convince Rusty to make the parts requiring the lathe. If some one wants to make one before there is any parts available I can do the lathe parts.
You think you might be able to turn some parts for an interested diy'er? I'm thinking about trying the square alum arm style with the bearings pressed in and the pot screwed into the arm. I can make any arms or plates I need (benchtop milling machine) but I don't have a lathe. Let's talk...
Old Sep 29, 2012, 02:26 AM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,936 Posts
>>You think you might be able to turn some parts for an interested diy'er? I'm thinking about trying the square alum arm style with the bearings pressed in and the pot screwed into the arm. I can make any arms or plates I need (benchtop milling machine) but I don't have a lathe. Let's talk...<<

I will be happy to help you with turning parts. However if you hold on just a little longer I will be able to figure out what parts you need turned. I think for the aluminum square tube version it may come down to only two parts. They will be the bushings on the camera tray to hold the shafts. However Rusty is getting excited about the aluminum tube version and he may make some Delrin blocks just for 1/4" shafts so we don't even need the bushings.

Rusty is testing out plates right now. So you don't have to make those. All you need is to get those aluminum tubes and cut them to size. You don't even need to drill holes on the arms. Rusty is thinking about making plates for the ends of the arm so you can screw the external pot on one plate and press the bearing on the other.

This is getting simpler and simpler and very exciting. I really like simplicity in design. It is just so elegant.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 02:38 AM
United States, NC, Tryon
Joined Sep 2005
211 Posts
SWEEEET!!!
That's great news. I have an nex5n that really needs a nice mount. Your design looks better than anything I've seen that I could even think about being able to afford. I'm definitely in whenever this gets close...
Thanks'
Old Sep 29, 2012, 02:57 AM
United States, NC, Tryon
Joined Sep 2005
211 Posts
Quote:
This is getting simpler and simpler and very exciting. I really like simplicity in design. It is just so elegant.
I agree, subtractive design breeds elegance. Well, that and great designers...
IMHO...