HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 28, 2012, 02:24 PM
Navarre, FL
Joined Mar 2002
3,829 Posts
The pulleys are a single source as far as I know, but the other parts are pretty standard, and can be obtained any number of places. Since parts can vary even from box to box in the same order, it's possible there will be some custom shimming needed even with the complete kit. With that in mind, it probably doesn't much matter where you get most of the stuff.

Hansen, where do you get aluminum hardware? I've been ordering from Fastener Express, but they don't have a couple lengths I'd like to buy. I've got emails out to some other places as well, which might be one of the holdups. I have to admit, I'm becoming a real believer in the aluminum hardware (finally), and I might even consider putting it in the frame kits if I can get all the sizes I'd need.

Cheers,
Rusty
13brv3 is offline Find More Posts by 13brv3
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 28, 2012, 02:58 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2012
752 Posts
+1 on aluminum. The more I read about it the more I want to get rid of ferrous materials on my setups. I only have seen Fastener express as well. Mcmaster has some, but not the sizes I need.
jcmonty is offline Find More Posts by jcmonty
Old Oct 28, 2012, 03:08 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,952 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigar View Post
Great thanks for that!
One more thing. The mks servos what kind of hub the have? Futaba or hitec
Hitec is Hitec and seems like every thing else is Futaba.
SeismicCWave is offline Find More Posts by SeismicCWave
Old Oct 28, 2012, 03:10 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,952 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13brv3 View Post
Hansen, where do you get aluminum hardware? I've been ordering from Fastener Express, but they don't have a couple lengths I'd like to buy. I've got emails out to some other places as well, which might be one of the holdups. I have to admit, I'm becoming a real believer in the aluminum hardware (finally), and I might even consider putting it in the frame kits if I can get all the sizes I'd need.

Cheers,
Rusty
Yup, I got mine from Fastener Express also. Since they are in California I get them real fast.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 03:30 PM
United States, MN, St Cloud
Joined Jan 2012
477 Posts
Which model HiTec servo's are yo using?
richkphoto is offline Find More Posts by richkphoto
Old Oct 28, 2012, 05:46 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,952 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by richkphoto View Post
Which model HiTec servo's are yo using?
We are trying all different kinds. Seems like most high end digitals are fine. Don't expect perfect tracking but they work pretty well. 7945's, 7950's, 7954's etc.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 05:55 PM
Navarre, FL
Joined Mar 2002
3,829 Posts
I think it's safe to say that we're being limited more by the gimbal controller than anything else at this point.

Rusty
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 28, 2012, 06:01 PM
Navarre, FL
Joined Mar 2002
3,829 Posts
Camera plate sizes

OK, the next thing I had to decide is what the "standard" camera tray sizes would be. You will be able to use a piece of 10mm tube with a smaller tray on top, but I do want to have 3 standard sizes that won't require a tube.

The sizes will be:
3.5" by 1.5"
4.5" by 1.75"
5.5" by 2"

The width refers to the useable width between the tilt blocks, not the actual tray width which would be 0.8" wider.

Rusty
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 28, 2012, 06:57 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,952 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13brv3 View Post
OK, the next thing I had to decide is what the "standard" camera tray sizes would be. You will be able to use a piece of 10mm tube with a smaller tray on top, but I do want to have 3 standard sizes that won't require a tube.

The sizes will be:
3.5" by 1.5"
4.5" by 1.75"
5.5" by 2"

The width refers to the useable width between the tilt blocks, not the actual tray width which would be 0.8" wider.

Rusty
The Sony NEX 5, 5N and 5R will fit in the 4.5" I am not sure if the strap rings will get in the way of anything. If you take the strap rings into consideration 4.75" wide will be better. That will enable some one who wants to use some form of 90 degree HDMI connector to get video output.

5.5" is perfect for most DSLR that most will want to use. Anything large will probably need a larger tube.

Is the 3.5" the version you are testing with the GoPro?
Old Oct 28, 2012, 08:27 PM
United States, MN, St Cloud
Joined Jan 2012
477 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeismicCWave View Post
The Sony NEX 5, 5N and 5R will fit in the 4.5" I am not sure if the strap rings will get in the way of anything. If you take the strap rings into consideration 4.75" wide will be better. That will enable some one who wants to use some form of 90 degree HDMI connector to get video output.

5.5" is perfect for most DSLR that most will want to use. Anything large will probably need a larger tube.

Canon 7D is 5.8"
How about camcorder they need the depht more than width > the Sony PJ 710 would need about 3" from mounting hole to back
richkphoto is offline Find More Posts by richkphoto
Old Oct 28, 2012, 08:37 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2012
752 Posts
My t2i is ~ 5 in and the GH3 is going to be 5.3 in. So, I think that the 5.5 in will be good. An option to attach a bracket of some sort to cradle the lens a bit more would be beneficial in helping and lens bounce in wind and forward flight.
jcmonty is offline Find More Posts by jcmonty
Old Oct 28, 2012, 08:49 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,952 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by richkphoto View Post
Canon 7D is 5.8"
How about camcorder they need the depht more than width > the Sony PJ 710 would need about 3" from mounting hole to back
7D is about maxing out on the 10mm tube I think. You will have to make your own camera tray if you want to use the 7D. This gimbal design is really not designed with the 5D or 7D in mind. I was thinking more like the T2i, T3i, T4i or GH2 and 3.

PJ710 is no problem. You do have 3" from mounting hole back. Otherwise it is really simple to increase the side tubes by a little bit. The beauty of being scalable.

The main issue about the camera tray is that Rusty was talking about plates with preset holes. So you are limited to the three sizes he mentioned. If you are willing to drill holes you can a longer rear tube and stretch the tray out to fit the 7D.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 08:50 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,952 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmonty View Post
My t2i is ~ 5 in and the GH3 is going to be 5.3 in. So, I think that the 5.5 in will be good. An option to attach a bracket of some sort to cradle the lens a bit more would be beneficial in helping and lens bounce in wind and forward flight.
I believe that would really fall in the category of special cases. In that case the builder can very easily make a wider plate and drill some holes. I was even thinking about making a mounting plate that is shape like a cross so you have something to support the lens plus offset the camera body a bit farther back for balance.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 08:53 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,952 Posts
Here is another update on the 10mm carbon version of the gimbal. Excuse the ugly picture. I didn't realize I did not clean out all the metal filings.

It is not super light but very rigid. It is at 172 grams at this point. Figure at least 160 grams for two servos. I still need to make the roll cages.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 09:14 PM
Navarre, FL
Joined Mar 2002
3,829 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeismicCWave View Post

The current plate I have is 4", but that's really too big for the GoPro 1, even in the case. It's almost perfect for the old Panasonic Lumix cameras we used to use though.

How about 3.75", 4.75", and 5.75" for the standard sizes?

There are always going to be people with goofy sized cameras, but that's the beauty of a scalable design. Keep in mind also that the left and right arms of the yoke don't have to point straight forward. They can also point down, which opens up other options, and of course requires taller gear.

Rusty
Site Sponsor