HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 27, 2012, 05:24 PM
United States, GA, Mt Airy
Joined Dec 2001
984 Posts
Right side motor on my Hexa went out at 125' up over a woods. The FC tried to hold but it did a slow motion barrel-roll with the dead motor tucking underneath. I was shooting a new contruction site for the hospital I work for. The Hexa came down upside-down on fresh cut dirt. Using the new Sony Action Cam in an Askman gimbal. Bad part is the video is a corrupted file now. The micro SD must have jarred so hard it lost connection. The camera tests ok now. I'll have everything laid out and tested by tomorrow. So far the damage is 3 broken arms, 4 props and a broken gimbal arm. Main damage is my pride, first crash in over 200+ flights on the DJI Naza.
UniversalRC is offline Find More Posts by UniversalRC
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 27, 2012, 05:30 PM
United States, VT, Rutland
Joined Feb 2012
134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UniversalRC View Post
Right side motor on my Hexa went out at 125' up over a woods. The FC tried to hold but it did a slow motion barrel-roll with the dead motor tucking underneath. I was shooting a new contruction site for the hospital I work for. The Hexa came down upside-down on fresh cut dirt. Using the new Sony Action Cam in an Askman gimbal. Bad part is the video is a corrupted file now. The micro SD must have jarred so hard it lost connection. The camera tests ok now. I'll have everything laid out and tested by tomorrow. So far the damage is 3 broken arms, 4 props and a broken gimbal arm. Main damage is my pride, first crash in over 200+ flights on the DJI Naza.
I forget what the name of it is right off but there is an application for retrieving corrupted video and image files from hard drives and other storage media.
AsylumET is offline Find More Posts by AsylumET
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 27, 2012, 05:47 PM
VA
Joined Nov 2009
2,658 Posts
Quote:
Sorry to hear you had a crash. Take it you are pretty sure it was a motor and not the fc. Since you have been using an action cam maybe you can tell me something about it since no one else seems to know . Does it have live video out?
pug398 is offline Find More Posts by pug398
Old Oct 27, 2012, 05:48 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,956 Posts
New test video. This one with the Sony NEX 5R I just got.

20121027 2 axis metal gimbal test w ball NEX 5R (1 min 40 sec)
SeismicCWave is offline Find More Posts by SeismicCWave
Old Oct 27, 2012, 06:12 PM
Joined Dec 2001
984 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pug398 View Post
Sorry to hear you had a crash. Take it you are pretty sure it was a motor and not the fc. Since you have been using an action cam maybe you can tell me something about it since no one else seems to know . Does it have live video out?
Yes, it's micro HDMI so you have to run it through a converter.

Seismic, great vid... Need to get one of these gimbals.. Love my Askman one too.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 06:40 PM
VA
Joined Nov 2009
2,658 Posts
Quote:
Yes, it's micro HDMI so you have to run it through a converter.

Seismic, great vid... Need to get one of these gimbals.. Love my Askman one too.
THANK YOU!

I have both HDMI tx/rx and HDMI to composite converters just had been trying to find out if the action cam had live video. The other two SD camcorders I have only output video in playback. Pretty sure though I am now just going with gopro and attach a spare case directly to tilt spindle. Just need to find out measurements from center lens to right flat and center lens to bottom of case hinge. Do feel better about picking up a used action cam now if the price is right.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 07:05 PM
Joined Dec 2001
984 Posts
I'm waiting on my GoPro3, I have a 1 and 2 also. The Sony is ok but for Drone AP It is a pain in the ass....
Old Oct 27, 2012, 09:44 PM
The Engineer
Singapore
Joined Dec 2009
621 Posts
Any delay of live feed from SAC?
prodriverex is offline Find More Posts by prodriverex
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Gimball Drone
Old Oct 27, 2012, 10:42 PM
United States, TX, Seguin
Joined Mar 2005
610 Posts
Hansen once again that looks really good. I can see some of the same issues as I'm having, it's actually kind of nice to see that there is consistency between our two gimbals (even if those are errors). At about 2:48 in the video below I hovered and did some quick forward back, side to side stick movements like you did and had similar results, stabilization errors were visible when going quickly from one extreme to the other. But I also did some continuous aggressive moves in one direction which appears to remain pretty well level as long as I kept flying in the same direction, it's just when pulling the sticks hard in the opposite direction that the errors show up. I think that's pretty acceptable, and as can be seen during some of the smoother moves in the videos below everything looks pretty level when not flying so aggressively. In the first video my roll was set to 23, in the 2nd I tried it at 24 and I didn't notice much difference (I went as high as 27 in a couple of earlier videos, might try going down to 20 tomorrow). But the small amount of lean that I'm seeing (at least when I'm flying less aggressive) in these videos is probably not so much that it would ruin a shot.

In the first video I did some more aggressive flying with just a couple less aggressive moves as well to see how well the gimbal was working for the type of flying I would normally be doing with it.

Gimbal 27oct12 03 1 (3 min 47 sec)

And got one more flight in just before dark where there was almost no wind. I tried to fly a bit smoother and less aggressive for this entire flight, I did a couple quick moves but tried to end them smoothly as well. I also noticed before I got outside that at least in one direction I am hitting my roll servo travel limit sooner than I think I should. So on more aggressive moves the video ends up leaning because the servo can't turn enough to compensate. Tomorrow I'm going to re-center the servo and make sure I'm getting the most travel I can out of both directions.

Gimbal 27oct12 05 (5 min 46 sec)
mattchase is online now Find More Posts by mattchase
Old Oct 27, 2012, 11:39 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,956 Posts
>>I can see some of the same issues as I'm having, it's actually kind of nice to see that there is consistency between our two gimbals (even if those are errors).<<

I think we are looking at the limitation of the CC3D as a gimbal controller. It works in general and I don't have issues with it. However it sure is not tracking the camera like Zenmuse.

When I watch my video I can see that initially the roll and tilt will follow for a short while and then the servo will overshoot. I have the exact same reaction while tuning on the bench. So it is good to know that the reaction in the air is similar.

>>And got one more flight in just before dark where there was almost no wind. <<

I just love the lighting in the evening. Too bad I don't have too many outside lights where I live. Except for that big tennis court next door.

>>I also noticed before I got outside that at least in one direction I am hitting my roll servo travel limit sooner than I think I should.<<

Do you level the yoke before taking off. I do notice some roll drift on mine. I will level the yoke right before I take off and by the time I land the yoke is no longer level. That happens more when I do any forward flight. Seems like when I bank left the gimbal will compensate to the right. After a couple of turns the yoke stay leaning to the right.

>>So on more aggressive moves the video ends up leaning because the servo can't turn enough to compensate. Tomorrow I'm going to re-center the servo and make sure I'm getting the most travel I can out of both directions.<<

You are seeing a similar problem.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 11:46 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,956 Posts
I started a new build yesterday. I am using some carbon pultrude 10mm square tubes. I put a basswood square inside and soak the wood with thin CA glue. This build may take a while. I will jump over to the 10mm aluminum square tube prototype once I get a set of plates from Rusty.

If those plates and blocks work he will be cutting for all you guys. Rusty is also busy building prototype 2 to make sure the plate and Delrin blocks are exactly what they are suppose to be.

The first two pictures show the jig I use to cut the carbon plate into strips. I then cut the strips into little rectangle. I stacked them together and drill holes. Then I epoxied and screwed those little rectangles to the corners of the square tubes. That is your basic yoke on picture number three.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 05:48 AM
The Engineer
Singapore
Joined Dec 2009
621 Posts
Is making the rectangle into L shape to get rid of the corner going to affect the rigidity?
prodriverex is offline Find More Posts by prodriverex
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Gimball Drone
Old Oct 28, 2012, 08:53 AM
VA
Joined Nov 2009
2,658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by prodriverex View Post
Is making the rectangle into L shape to get rid of the corner going to affect the rigidity?
If you cut the plate to follow the contour of the tube (L shape) yes it will reduce strength. If you cut it diagonally so a triangle piece is removed it will not reduce strength (negligible amount).
Last edited by pug398; Oct 28, 2012 at 09:00 AM. Reason: to prevent arguments :)
Old Oct 28, 2012, 10:39 AM
Navarre, FL
Joined Mar 2002
3,839 Posts
OK, here's a picture of Prototype #2, which is bound for someone who can probably help with the CC3D gimbal controls

Pricing isn't final, but this is what I'm thinking it will be:

Option 1- $60
This will include only the G10 plates and Delrin blocks I make. This can be available to order very soon, maybe even by tomorrow.

Option 2- $225
This will include all the materials needed to make the gimbal, minus servos. You will still have to cut and fit parts like the pot shaft, bearing shafts (aluminum), and square tubing, so there's still some DIY aspect here. ETA for this option is still a bit unknown. I need to decide on the value of the pot, and finish sourcing some of the other items. It could be ready in as early as a week, but that's the best case estimate, and you should never expect the best case.

Option 3- $250
This would be like Option 2, but with all the parts pre-cut to fit a standard (not yet determined) size camera tray.

Option 4- $350 (est) This would be a completely assembled gimbal minus servos, like what you see in the picture. This almost certainly won't happen for at least a month, and I'll have to assemble a few more to get a better idea of how long it takes before I make a final decision on the price.

I haven't decided yet if I'll carry any servos. I have a dealer agreement with Maxx Products (Hitec distributor) so it's a possibility. I'm not sure how the continuous rotation modification would be handled. I haven't done one myself yet, so I'm not sure what it involves.

OK, back to work...

Rusty
13brv3 is offline Find More Posts by 13brv3
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 28, 2012, 10:52 AM
United States, TX, Seguin
Joined Mar 2005
610 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13brv3 View Post
OK, here's a picture of Prototype #2, which is bound for someone who can probably help with the CC3D gimbal controls

Rusty
Sweet, I get to test another gimbal!

Oh, wait, you meant Hansen didn't you?
mattchase is online now Find More Posts by mattchase